I got set-up!

RangerClay

Saturday was our northern New York rifle opener. I get to go to hunting camp which is a real highlight for me. There is all of the excitement and anticipation that come with an opening. On this particular opener I got to my stand late and it was daylight, I usually arrive in the dark. Anyway, I arrived at my ladder stand, put on my HSS vest and started up the ladder. It was then that something caught my eye. There was a gap where the platform is attached to the ladder, I could see it against the sky. I start to look more closely and I discover that my stand has been sabotaged  >:) . One bolt was removed and the other was unscrewed to the very end. So if I had put my weight on the platform, it would have collasped. I stood there in dismay that someone set me up to take a fall. Then I thought, someone set me up to possibly die  :( . This loser had to bring tools because these stands go together with lock nuts. I know the work wasn't done by some PETA freak, they don't make around here, it was another hunter, probably some trespasser I have kicked off over the years. Needless to say it was not a very pleasent opening day. I moved to a new spot and set-up but my head wasn't really in the hunt. So I made sure to say thanks to the Big Guy for making me late for me stand and made the best of the rest of the morning.

Everyone! Check your stand when you climb! If they can find my stand in the middle of no-where in the Adirondacks, they can find your stand too.

Wow, thats horrible.. Good think you noticed that on your way up.

thats exactly what i thought, its sad someone would do that, someone would go out of thier way to do something like that which in the end could have cause you and your family lots of pain and suffering.

if you can post some picture so we can get a better idea of what this low-life did to your stand.

if you can post some picture so we can get a better idea of what this low-life did to your stand.

Sorry I took some phone pics with my phone but I deleted them after I showed them to a ECO.

Try to imagine the lower price ladder stands with a basic seat.  Below that is your platform.  It is bolted to the ladder then the platform goes back and has two brackets that go up to the seat.  The bolts that go into the ladder were messed with.  If I had stepped on it in the dark I believe the one screw that was left would have popped and the front of the platform would have tipped down.  Granted because I would still be climbing I would have grip on the side rails but you never know.

Here is my stand,

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4286108&cp=2367438.2367824.2292572.2292573

That sucks. Try to think of anyone who knows where your stand is and if any of them have a problem with you. Like you said it is probably someone you kicked off your land and you have no idea who they are. That would irritate the hell out of me and I would kick some ass if I found out who did it.

thats un real, thank god you spotted it and did not climb in!

i can not believe the lengths some individuals would go.. its quite sad that not even your tree stand is safe not even from theft but from sabotage... horrible...

glad you spotted it

What is it about hunting that would possess someone do something like this?  Does hunting somehow attract these low-life's or what??  I know many hunters don't want to hear it and think that hunters as a whole are upstanding citizens, but I tell you there are way too many of these low-life's among us.  Not even the anti's can make stuff like this up about hunters.  The sky is the limit to what stunts we see in this sport.  Unbelievable!

First im glad you werent hurt, I have hunted the backwoods up there and it could have been a very hairy situation to say the least. Second it sickens me to think that someone could do that to another sportsman. I have had my stands cut out of my trees and stolen but to think someone wouild set you up to be hurt and possibly killed is just unbelievable. I hope you find the scum bags responsible. Praise the deer gods that you had gotten up late and were paying attention while getting in stand. Best of luck this season and Be safe to all hunters

I agree it's a good idea to always check your stand before you get in it.  Give it a good shake to be sure its sturdy.

Years ago we hunted public land with hiking trails in the area.  The nature lovers would attack deer stands if they saw any while hiking.  But they would knock them down, not rig them so hunters would get hurt.

At least you were watching out for yourself. Just wondering what the ECO had to say.

Fantail, the ECO I chatted with was very nice and felt for what happened to me.  He informed me that without catching the perp in the act, there is nothing I can do.

Now my stand is set up on an old log road.  I believe the perp was using it to get to the main road.  I'm going to set up an IR trail cam but not looking over the treestand, he would expect that.  I'm going up the trail a little father and see if I can catch him walking out again.  This POS thinks he's gotten away with this and I will bet anything that he will come by again to see his handywork.  Then I will at least have him red handed trespassing.