True definition of a "meat hunter"?

TeeBugg

I know a couple guys who kill 8+ deer a year just to say they killed that many. They cut off the backstraps and best part of the hindquarter and throw the rest away, then go kill another. I don't consider this ok. I thought that was the type of guy ants was referring to.

• Like 1

I am a meat hunter no doubt, however i will not shoot small deer. to me its the same amount of butchering work for a 75 pound deer as a 130 lb doe

i will shoot a 120 lb doe before i shoot a small buck, i passed a small 6 on saturday, if it was a mature doe an arrow would have flown.

I either want a nice mature doe, or a mature buck.

• Like 1

I know a couple guys who kill 8+ deer a year just to say they killed that many. They cut off the backstraps and best part of the hindquarter and throw the rest away, then go kill another. I don't consider this ok. I thought that was the type of guy ants was referring to.

I enjoy to eat my fish whole(excluding guts and scale) but you don't see me belittling those that fillet their fish. Each person has their own way of fishing, and hunting. If you want to place a label on yourself as a meat hunter or horn hunter or whatever else, that's fine by me. As long as someone is within the law, and is safe and ethical, what does it matter to you?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Too bad we don't have a wanton waste law in NYS.

I enjoy to eat my fish whole(excluding guts and scale) but you don't see me belittling those that fillet their fish. Each person has their own way of fishing, and hunting. If you want to place a label on yourself as a meat hunter or horn hunter or whatever else, that's fine by me. As long as someone is within the law, and is safe and ethical, what does it matter to you?

Your eating everything BUT the scales and guts? 

Not get off topic but do you think killing a deer to feed your dog is ok?

there's plenty of places to donate the meat to feed the hungry and most hunters know a few non hunters who love the meat............so, no...I don't feel it's right to kill a deer with the sole intention of feeding it to an animal.

I, personally, consider myself a "meat hunter".  I hunt, mainly, to put meat in the freezer.  I prefer venison to beef in most meals, so I like to have as much of it as I can get.  I'll take almost any deer that's legal for a tag I have on me at the time unless it's a real small one.  That being said, there's no way I'd pass up a nice rack on a big buck if I had that chance at one.

If someone has a tag to kill a deer, what difference does it make to you what happens to the meat afterwards? Do you set the standards of "challenge" for other hunters as well?

It's just my opinion. If a person  has a tag to kill a deer and does so, and then decides to kill a deer and  just leave it where it lays or just ditch it somewhere..... Then  I call BS. That person, in my opinion, is not a hunter, but more likely  an attention whore. In a lot of cases He/she wants to be thought of as some bad ass, great white hunter who wants to prove him/her self by how many kills they stack up. Wasting a deer makes no sense to me.

I don't hunt deer for the horns, nor do I necessarily enjoy most of the venison. Only part I like are the ribs, and there's not much "meat" on that. So I'm confused as to what type of hunter I am.

what do you do with the ribs? I'm curious because I cut up my own deer and I don't use the ribs as there isn't any meat on them.

I don't hunt deer for the horns, nor do I necessarily enjoy most of the venison. Only part I like are the ribs, and there's not much "meat" on that. So I'm confused as to what type of hunter I am.

maybe you're just someone who likes to kill things, and not a hunter at all.........................

• Like 1

It's just my opinion. If a person has a tag to kill a deer and does so, and then decides to kill a deer and just leave it where it lays or just ditch it somewhere..... Then I call BS. That person, in my opinion, is not a hunter, but more likely an attention whore. In a lot of cases He/she wants to be thought of as some bad ass, great white hunter who wants to prove him/her self by how many kills they stack up. Wasting a deer makes no sense to me.

So things that makes no sense to you, must mean attention wh0re, or some other form of derogatory term thy you conjure up. Wasting a squirrel, fox, coyote, or a raccoon is ok? How do you feel about hunters that shoot a squirrel that is destroying their homes but don't eat them? Please share your "humble" opinion.

As long as people obey the laws, I'm cool. I only shoot bucks, no does. I keep the backstraps and donate the rest. If I had my own land, I would probably shoot does to use as bait for hunting yotes/fox.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I would consider myself to be a "meat hunter".  Our main source of protein throughout the year is venison.  I tend to shoot 4-5 deer per year and the last 2 years they've been all does.  I make my own sweet and hot sausage, venison jerky, venison burger, etc., so we have a nice variety during the year.  However, I do like the way antlers look on the wall.  And I don't shoot young bucks...anymore.  

• Like 1

So things that makes no sense to you, must mean attention wh0re, or some other form of derogatory term thy you conjure up. Wasting a squirrel, fox, coyote, or a raccoon is ok? How do you feel about hunters that shoot a squirrel that is destroying their homes but don't eat them? Please share your "humble" opinion.

Im not for killing anything, just to kill it. unless it is an aggressive or rabid animal, or an animal that somehow poses a threat to you or your family, I don't see  killing it just to kill it. If a squirrel is going for you jugular ....blast  him...If its just sitting in your back yard eating a chestnut?????? WTF??? Its you call

shawn.......you answered all the posts but this one. Maybe it was my grammar? (I changed it, sorry!)

I'm curious...........

Yes, even down to the eyeballs. I hope you don't expect me to eat the bones.... Sometimes I do, depending on the fish. Thanks for correcting your grammar, I know it must have been a difficult task. :)