Deer Scents - Wait until first light?

SDS

Anyone wait until first light to hop out of the stand real fast and lay scent down instead of when you first get in while it's still dark?

My thoughts were that laying it down while it was still dark may cause your deer to come in before legal shooting time.

Brilliant!

Get up, get down, get around, and get up again.

Makes total sense, no?

I mean, seriously, if this were your concern, why not carry some cotton balls and a cheap $5 slingshot and wing them out from your stand once you soak them? Sounds equally thrilling.

You must be one of these people in the video.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Anyone wait until first light to hop out of the stand real fast and lay scent down instead of when you first get in while it's still dark?

My thoughts were that laying it down while it was still dark may cause your deer to come in before legal shooting time.

If you have a buck that comes into your scent before light and he doesn't wind you odds are he won't be far when you can shoot. Even if he goes out of sight a couple of calls could bring him back. Much better than getting busted putting them out when light. Good question, but if you do all your preseason scouting correctly you will know where to put the scent when you go in the dark. Good luck!

Brilliant!

Makes total sense, no?

I mean, seriously, if this were your concern, why not carry some cotton balls and a cheap $5 slingshot and wing them out from your stand once you soak them? Sounds equally thrilling.

sarcastic much ?

• Like 1

I have done this two ways:

1. pre-dose the wicks before heading out and keep in a small sealed container that is then bagged in a zip-lock.  Put out just before climbing in stand 20 minutes before shooting time
  2. Set up stand, then layout the scent before climbing up

Normally I wear BDU style pants and try to put the wicks and bottle of lure in the lower patch pockets, but pack it back up in my waist back for the trip out.  Of course if I get in a rush in morning, I remember that the scent is in waist pack after I start walking in.

Since I am currently limited to weekends, I am forgetting to pull scent out Sat. am, but am all set on Sundays.

If packing scent in pants pocket, recommend double bagging the bottle.  My dog was all over my lower patch pockets where the scent managed to leak out (didn't get a good seal when closing it).  Good thing rut hadn't fully started yet when that happened.

Guys got 12 posts to the site and he gets a sarcastic response from Phade. Way to go Phade that will keep them coming back. 

Get off your high horse dude...........

Look, 12 posts or 100,000 posts, his idea was bulletproof, right? Post count means nothing.

Sometimes brutal, up front responses snap people back to reality. I've been there...had a 70yr old throw my bolt back three times faster than I could at 19 because I wasn't smart enough to keep the gun shouldered in between shots. His sarcasm and in my face response fixed that weakness in my game real quick.

So was three weeks ago when I was climbing up a tree and nearly cost me my bow season when my finger got crushed between a tree and a ladder stand as it fell. When the doctor told me I was an idiot...I agreed.

I don't ride a horse.

I mean, he's better off with a slingshot in the tree, for pete's sake.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I was just curious to see what everyone else does.  No harm in Phade's response, thats his personal opinion. Sarcasm? Maybe... Doesn't mean much.

The reasoning behind my question is that I generally get into my stand 45min to 1 hr before 1st light. So you can see my concern for putting out scent early.  I've done it in the past and I've watched monsters walk right by only to never see them again.

I've also hopped down real fast, threw up a scent wick, clicked my harness back in and shot a buck 5 min later. so it has worked but it is risky.

I like the slingshot idea though! Phade Any particular you recommend? :)

I only use scents when I think the rut is full on. Then I put them out just before I climb up. Once Im up I don't climb down until I'm ready to pack it up or I shoot one...Except for yesterday when by bow fell out of the holder & I had to climb down to get it...climb back up....Soooo freaking pissed It was all I could do to keep from MF-ing out loud. Nothing broke so.........STILL PISSED!!!

• Like 1

I'm not a real scent guy, but a big believer in getting in early, getting set and staying put.

If anything just bring a drag and hang it. Chances are it'll be light soon enough and your approach will spook any deer in the vicinity, although I've found them 30 yards from me after getting in... Haha

Brilliant!

Makes total sense, no?

Thats actually a great idea about the slingshot and cotton balls!  Not sure why i haven't thought of that one yet.....

Geez the poor guy just asked a question. LOL Why all the tough stuff at him.

But while we have our thinking caps on: Hey how about soaking them cotton balls in doe urine and use your grunt call like a blow gun to shoot them out of. LOL Just don't try a snort wheeze or you might suck one into your lungs. lololol

• Like 3

Don't over think it... Put it out before u climb up (especially if in a climber) don't want to be hoppin down n back up n so forth makin a lot more unesecary noise than u would think.. If ur that worried about it soak some cotton balls and put them in a little film canester ( what's that these days lol) and pop the top in the stand and throw them in the direction u choose... Bada bing bada boom ...