Gloves or handwarmers

Woodjr55

So as it getting colder I need something to keep my hands warm. I was wondering what everyone prefers a pair of gloves or one of those hand warmer things like football players have. I saw online they have them for around 40 dollars which is what I'm looking to spend on either gloves or the handwarmer thing

I have tried everything to keep my hands warm up to and including the gerbing electric gloves. I have found that the best way to keep my hands warm is to place a Hot Hands chemical hand warmer inside of a glove or mitten. They are advertised as lasting up to 10 hrs. and I have found that they will actually last 12 hours. This means that you can place them inside of your glove for a morning hunt and have warm hands, take a mid-day break, and put the same gloves on for the afternoon hunt and have warm hands for the rest of the day. You will have warm hands for less than $1.00 per day.

I hate having a glove on my release hand. Hate it. I use the warmers and a muff.

Every man should get to know his muff well and dive into it to stay warm.

It's a lot easier to get whatever you want in this muff as well.  You can just go ahead and dive right in there.  Don't have to sit their and tell it how beautiful it is, and kiss it, and take things "slow."

• Like 2

I've done two things that work well for me.  One is to use two pairs of light gloves.  Put one pair on and put one of the handwarmers on the back of each hand and then put another light glove over that to hold the chemical hand warmer in place.  I've used the military surplus wool gloves and they work quite well.  Or use a synthetic glove next to your skin instead. 

The other thing that I've done is to make a set of Wooly Boogers from a piece of tanned sheepskin with the wool on.  They are like oversized wool mitts with no thumbs, with the raw wool on the inside and the leather hide on the outside.  Put these on a string around your waist so that when you shuck them off your hands they fall behind you, out of the way if shooting a bow.  They used to be available through Screaming Eagle but we made our own.  Very happy with these for very cold weather.  You can also put a handwarmer in these if needed.

Costco sells the chemical hand warmers, comes out to less than 25 cents per pack, or 50 cents per pair. As for saving the pack for use later in the day, just toss it in a ziplock bag and squeeze all the air out. No air, no chemical reaction. You'll get much more heat and longer lasting packs that way.

There are also reusable packs as well that you can see hundreds of times, they're heavier and doesn't last as long, but pays for itself in time.

Seems like thin gloves/muffs and warmer combo is the way to go.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I dont like heavy gloves unless my hands will be exposed alot. I use the hand muff and a pair of lightweight gloves most of the time. Sometimes I just use the muff and thats all. Toss a couple of heat packs in there, and youll be good to go.

exactly what I do. Never have cold hands.

I wear a Sitka fanatic jacket. Has a built in muff in the jacket. They call it a kangaroo pouch. Jacket is built for bow hunters who don't like to wear thick gloves. So I just wear a thin glove and keep my hands in the pouch. Warm as hell. There's also little pockets inside the pouch for handwarmers as well. Expensive jacket but well worth it!