Buck bombs?

Mike199

Q and A on DEC site:

Q: What types of attractants are legal for deer hunting?
A:
You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for deer hunting. However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. It is also illegal to feed deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of produces would not be legal.

I see no mention of the 1.5 oz rule. In fact, I just searched the entire regs on the DEC by key word, and saw no mention of the 1.5 oz limitation you speak of. What's your source?

Edited by phade

I've seen it work well in kansas. But we had a bad experience with the people using them. CEOS of dicks sporting goods gander mtn and a few other big name stores and some company reps from NAP and ameristep and others were there hunting for a week. Buck bomb was a new product at the time and they used the hell out of it but when I went to take down the stands they just left the cans laying all over the place. But it was effective during the hunts.

ADKhunter 1590 said "they just left the cans laying all over the place."

This is what i hate about people using scents at all.Always have scent wicks and empty bottle in the woods.If you take it in take it out unless its biodegradable.

Yep, I hate finding trash in the woods! I find those plastic scent bottles laying around all the time. Lazy Bastards!

Agreed that is the biggest negative of buck bomb, people leave the cans around

I personally pour some doe urine into a small pump spray bottle, i will use a pine cone and soak it with the spray and then put that pine cone at shoulder level

when in stand i will also give a few spray pumps every hour or so to carry in the wind.  when used in this manner i can have a small spray bottle last almost a year

• Like 2

Q and A on DEC site:

Q: What types of attractants are legal for deer hunting?

A: You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for deer hunting. However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. It is also illegal to feed deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of produces would not be legal.

I see no mention of the 1.5 oz rule. In fact, I just searched the entire regs on the DEC by key word, and saw no mention of the 1.5 oz limitation you speak of. What's your source?

The 1.5oz rule applies to bear lures such as a slow honey burn. 

Does not apply to deer. 

• Like 2

Yeah it was really sad that all these big wigs of these outdoor and hunting company's left such a mess in the woods like that. I was disgusted by it. My boss was so pissed he called them all up and flipped out at how lazy and inconsiderate and what a disgrace to the outdoor and hunting community they all are. It was fun to watch that phone convo lol. I personally use those blaze orange scent bombs. Just pour some pee in the bottle and shake it up to get it on the wick and hang it up. I always take them with me when I go though.

• Like 1

Last year I jumped out of my stand at 8:00 after not seeing anything and walked 150 yards into the woods right up to the property line near a fields edge.  I sprayed buck bomb every 3 or 4 feet in a trail back to my stand.  Sure enough about an hour later I see a nice buck with his head down to the ground almost running down the trail that I just made with the bomb earlier.  I took him with the shotgun and that was my experience with the bomb.  

Buck bomb gets its urine supply from one of my buddies in Pa. Also the same is a product called...Pure Heat...Except this urine is taken at the does 55 to 60 hour breeding window. You will find some companys call it pure but most urine they call in heat is really just urine from the whole herd during the last 2 weeks of Oct and first 2 of Nov. Yes there will be some does in heat during that time but it will be cut back by the does that are not in estrus. Pure Heat is from does that are ALL in estrus at the same time.

Buck bomb gets its urine supply from one of my buddies in Pa. Also the same is a product called...Pure Heat...Except this urine is taken at the does 55 to 60 hour breeding window. You will find some companys call it pure but most urine they call in heat is really just urine from the whole herd during the last 2 weeks of Oct and first 2 of Nov. Yes there will be some does in heat during that time but it will be cut back by the does that are not in estrus. Pure Heat is from does that are ALL in estrus at the same time.

Someone on here the other day said bottled doe urine bottled is not a good idea because the urine is not from the area that you are hunting. I think i understand that but that would not be the same with buck bomb right? A buck will come in to see what buck might be in the area that the bomb was used right?

I actually think the opposite Paula. In this time of year it is common for bucks to range looking for a doe in heat. In that travel they come across bucks they have never encountered. What better way to get a buck in his home turf to get fired up that to intorduce scent of a buck that is not from that area? I have used tarsal glands from out of the area I am hunting with some success.

Whats the name of the people that offer the pure heat line?