Photographing your kill

gutpile

I'm no professional when it comes to taking pictures but I've learned a few things. Never take just one picture! With todays digital cameras there's no cost for developing so load up that card you can always delete what you don't like or want. Me I still use film. Take shots from different angles. Get some as close as possible with just your face and the whole of the deers head. Watch the sun you don't want to shoot with the sun directly behind the subject all you get is shadows. Sun at an angle sun behind the camera. move away get the hunter and deer from various angles. don't be afraid to include the bow or put the bloody arrow across the rack. Then shoot some funny shots or artst fartsy types. I generally shoot a whole roll of 36 on one buck. Remember each deer is a once in a lifetime event the next one will be an entirely different experience. Don't fudge it by being frugal.

Someone on another site was offended by pictures of deer showing blood . Some of his advice was quite good but I don't see too many hunters following his take .

Wipe off all blood so it doesn't show

Tuck the deer's tongue in its mouth

Pull the deer's legs up close to its body

I sent him this pic .................

Eddie.... :( ....

I usually take a few pictures of the kill right where it dropped to share with my hunting buddies who aren't offended by the gore...

Then I clean the critter up as Gutpile says and take a few for the more GENTEEL folk, who may be interested but might be turned off by the blood and guts...

This is a perfect example of where ethics does all of us some good. Not everyone is turned on to hunting, and it's our responsibility to 'censor' these images from people who don't necessarily care for it.

For example, my wife is all about the fact that I eat, sleep, and breathe for this sport - but she doesn't want to hear or SEE the details.

Be responsible in who you're showing the 'graphic' pictures to.

i think its great, i love that pic

here are a few of mine  ;D

While those pictures are fine among hunters, pictures like that are some of the reasons so many people are against hunters.

There's no reason to be flaunting pictures like that to non-hunters.

I honestly think that someone who isn't interested in hunting in any way doesn't want to see pictures of us posing with dead deer whether they are cleaned up or not.  Hunting pictures are mostly for other hunters, so why should any of them be offended with a bit of blood?

Amen!

I dont give a rats patoot if anyone is offended by my kill pics. Im not cleaning them up. Blood dripping, tounge out, who cares.

In fact, I find it pretty ironic that this topic was started by someone going by the screen name of gutpile.  :)

Most hunters wouldn't be offended by blood soaked pictures. However, I have a deep respect for the game animals I take. Cleaning up an animal isn't about not offending anyone but to depict the animal in a more natural way and to give it in death the same respect as in life. IMHO. Everyday I'm in the woods wether I kill an animal or not I give thanks to my maker for the day. And when I do make a kill I offer up to him thanks for a beautiful animal. And that is what I CHOOSE to photograph

I honestly think that someone who isn't interested in hunting in any way doesn't want to see pictures of us posing with dead deer whether they are cleaned up or not.  Hunting pictures are mostly for other hunters, so why should any of them be offended with a bit of blood?

Amen!

I dont give a rats patoot if anyone is offended by my kill pics. Im not cleaning them up. Blood dripping, tounge out, who cares.

In fact, I find it pretty ironic that this topic was started by someone going by the screen name of gutpile.  :D

Well, perhaps you don't give a rat's patoot who sees your photos.. I guess that is your perogative... Perhaps you don't give a rat's patoot about the future of our sport, either...

There are lots of people out there who are currently NEUTRAL concerning our hunting priveledges...

Some of those folks may turn toward the ANTI side  if they witness people flaunting gory hunting pictures..

The idea of political correctness pisses me off as much as it does anyone else, but we don't need to provide the treehuggers and antis with extra ammunition...

This is a perfect example of where ethics does all of us some good. Not everyone is turned on to hunting, and it's our responsibility to 'censor' these images from people who don't necessarily care for it.

Ethical picture taking - I do believe I have now heard it all. ::D

Amen!

In fact, I find it pretty ironic that this topic was started by someone going by the screen name of gutpile.  :D

Well, perhaps you don't give a rat's patoot who sees your photos.. I guess that is your perogative... Perhaps you don't give a rat's patoot about the future of our sport, either...

There are lots of people out there who are currently NEUTRAL concerning our hunting priveledges...

Some of those folks may turn toward the ANTI side  if they witness people flaunting gory hunting pictures..

The idea of political correctness pisses me off as much as it does anyone else, but we don't need to provide the treehuggers and antis with extra ammunition...

Riiiiiiight, because bowing down to the anti's demands are going to keep them from wanting to put an end to hunting.  ::D

You say political correctness pisses you off, but in the same breath you put up an excuse to follow it.

Ive got a really good price on a bridge if youre interested.  ;)

Heres one of my kills from the year before last. Enjoy!

DSC_3585.jpg

I don't know about being offended, but I've got to say that even as a hunter, I don't get any real charge out of looking at pictures that are taken for obvious "shock value". It doesn't do a thing for me ..... lol. There's nothing wrong with being a bit conscious of what is normally considered to be simply disgusting and poor taste. Certainly I am not overly sensitive since as a hunter, I have many times been elbow deep in the gore and internals of deer and other game. However, I don't think it really serves any purpose to take pictures just to see who you can gross out. What's the point? Generally I take pictures of the deer to highlight the animal and document the event. It serves no purpose to have attention unduly taken away from that by some distracting display of gore or sloppy posing of the animal.

It's not a big deal, but just a little piece of personal preference in the way I like to document the results of my hunting.

Doc

I try to keep the pics of my deer I show in presentable condition. Something I can show to my family & friends, even co-workers. I'm not realy concerned about what an anti might think. But I've talked more then one person into looking into - trying hunting from what I can show and describe.

Also taken other damage - shot pics that I think around here would be fine but I wouldn't use them for wallpaper at work.

I don't know about being offended, but I've got to say that even as a hunter, I don't get any real charge out of looking at pictures that are taken for obvious "shock value". It doesn't do a thing for me ..... lol. There's nothing wrong with being a bit conscious of what is normally considered to be simply disgusting and poor taste. Certainly I am not overly sensitive since as a hunter, I have many times been elbow deep in the gore and internals of deer and other game. However, I don't think it really serves any purpose to take pictures just to see who you can gross out. What's the point? Generally I take pictures of the deer to highlight the animal and document the event. It serves no purpose to have attention unduly taken away from that by some distracting display of gore or sloppy posing of the animal.

It's not a big deal, but just a little piece of personal preference in the way I like to document the results of my hunting.

Doc

Hear , Hear , Doc Agreed.  I especially get annoyed with the arrow still sticking out of the chest cavity pics that somepeople like to post. I can't think of a more distasteful way to photograph your kill, other than shoveing a baseball bat up its arse and taking a picture. Grow up your not 12 anymore. What do you think gives hunting a  better perception with none hunters, A deer laying there with an arrow sticking out of a gaping chest wound, blood all over the place, And a scruffy hunter sipping a beer in the pic. Or a well cleaned up deer and hunter pic. You should always take pics of your game like a person who doesn't hunt and is not sure how they feel about hunting is going to be viewing the pics.

We've got a Pudgies restaurant here in Canandaigua that is apparently owned by a hunter that has had more than a few successful African hunts. The restaurant is filled with all kinds of mounts and hunting success pictures. Everything is done in a tasteful manner, and is totally accepted and of interest to hunter and non-hunter alike. It kind of shows me that the non-hunting public is completely accepting of hunting and actually interested in the activity as long as the they don't have the distasteful aspects being shoved in their face. That sort of care and thought in our own pictures most likely works exactly the same way outside of that restaurant too. It doesn't hurt to go through a little extra care to do our part toward putting a positive face on our sport.

Doc

Someone mentioned my screen name "gutpile" interesting story. Back in 89 I was working in Detroit to disassemble an RR carne for shipment to buffalo where we rebuilt these thing been out working 30yrs. We tuned in to a local station and the weeks guest DJ was none other than uncle ted and he was always talking about steaming gutpiles. back then i loved his music today I love his politics. He tells it like it is; I have all his books and if he says something he means it so I took gutpile as my SN in honor of uncle Ted

WNY Buckhunter.......

Who mentioned bowing down to the antis...??...Those wingnuts have already made up thier mind about how they feel about hunting...

If you would take time to read my post rather than being macho and selling bridges, you might notice that I mention NEUTRAL people are the ones we need to avoid offending....

Believe it or not, there are still many people out there that are neutral about the issue of hunting, and thier votes might someday help determine the future of our sport....

I don't believe we are helping OUR cause by showing them a bunch of tasteless gory pictures of dead animals..

Pygmy, I hear and understand what your saying. Yeah Ive been a little bit of a smart ass in this thread, I am just telling it how I see it though. My opinion is that if we have to make such a big deal to try not to offend anyone, that we are playing into the anti's game. I dont intentionally take gore pictures, that one I posted is probably the worst one I have. I only took it to show a friend my gambrel setup in my old garage. Most pics I have of deer arent gory, but I dont tuck in tounges or wipe off blood either.

Pygmy, I hear and understand what your saying. Yeah Ive been a little bit of a smart ass in this thread, I am just telling it how I see it though. My opinion is that if we have to make such a big deal to try not to offend anyone, that we are playing into the anti's game. I dont intentionally take gore pictures, that one I posted is probably the worst one I have. I only took it to show a friend my gambrel setup in my old garage. Most pics I have of deer arent gory, but I dont tuck in tounges or wipe off blood either.

Very well said. For goodness sakes were hunters, blood is part of killing (ooohhh sorry harvesting or culling :D ).

WNY Buckhunter.......

Who mentioned bowing down to the antis...??...Those wingnuts have already made up thier mind about how they feel about hunting...

If you would take time to read my post rather than being macho and selling bridges, you might notice that I mention NEUTRAL people are the ones we need to avoid offending....

Believe it or not, there are still many people out there that are neutral about the issue of hunting, and thier votes might someday help determine the future of our sport....

I don't believe we are helping OUR cause by showing them a bunch of tasteless gory pictures of dead animals..

You do realize that the term 'wingnut' that you used, refers to right-wing Republicans?

Most Republicans are in favor of hunting.