Here's a fight starter

Suilleabhain

Might as we'll be the way people are arguing about this. I am pro choice it makes me made when we just keep getting more and more rules or laws to follow. So a guy wants to shoot the first buck he sees good for him. Also all the antler restriction fans what about the new guy who just started hunting this year and sees a spike stroll by and oooooo sucks for u can't take that. Not fair to him. More laws and regs make me something something. O wait they make me go mad cause pretty soon ur gonna have to ask the deer to hold still while u measure his antler size, waist, chest and legs and calculate if it's a shooter. Btw I am gonna invent a device to do all that calculating for u so don't try and rip off my invention

Imagine that ... taking the time to analyze the target that you are getting ready to take the life of. For that reason alone any restriction that allows some consideration on what "hunters" are shooting at is worth it in my book.

One other point I think that gets over looked is the argument for the lack of deer in certain areas and having to kill a 1.5 year old buck for meat on the table because there are "no deer". Again the benefit/goal of any "management system" (whether it is one buck, a spread or a point restriction) is to re-build or maintain the health of the herd. So I find it interesting on the arguments that there are no deer and that they have to shoot yearlings or 1.5 year old bucks because the goal of a "management system" is some short-term sacrifice for the betterment of the herd over the course of time rather than the need for immediate gratification.

• Like 1

Wouldn't the simplest solution to building a better buck age structure and get the buck to doe ratio back to a healthy level be to just close buck season for 2 years?  You could increase doe permits for these two years so anyone that is looking for venison could get all they want.  With this concept all the 1.5 year old bucks would be 3.5, all the 2.5 would be 4.5 and so on.  At the same time you would be reducing the doe numbers to help get the buck to doe ratio back closer to 1-2/3 instead of 1-6/7 as it currently is.  Once the 2 years is up, the buck season would open as it currently is.  I highly doubt that the meat hunters out there would be shooting spikes when a healthy age structure of 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 year old bucks is present.  I don't think you have to many hunters traveling to Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Texas, ect. to shoot 1.5 year old bucks... Why is that?  Because, there are many 3.5, 4.5 and older buck available.  Just my $0.02

• Like 1

I'll throw a little monkey wrench into this never ending issue. A few have skirted on the issue, alluding to the government controlling more and more in our lives. How is it that the ones that want the antler restrictions for all hunters feel it is any different than Cuomo passing the so called safe act? I mean come on, the safe act is only going to make the state a safer and better place for "everyone".

No, the issues are not the same, but it is still a few trying to control the majority. That is my issue with antler restrictions. Like others on here, I have evolved over the years and now hold out for older bucks. I didn't need any rules imposed on me. It was just what I chose to do.

I hate to tell a lot of you, but the majority of hunters just want to kill a deer or two. No matter how much you hear or read about antler restrictions, trophy hunting, food plots,etc., it still comes down to hunters just wanting to get out and kill a buck and a doe. Some up their personal goals, some don't. No matter what, a ton of deer get shot, and if the hunters are happy with what they shot, I am glad for them. We are supposed to be out and having fun, and I will never support something that will take the fun out of hunting for others.

First you can't even compare the two. Hunting is not a Constitutional right.

Second. This is one reason why I have stated so much that a full inclusion "vote". Needs to be done. To put it to rest. Without it there will be speculation from both sides

• Like 1

Imagine that ... taking the time to analyze the target that you are getting ready to take the life of. For that reason alone any restriction that allows some consideration on what "hunters" are shooting at is worth it in my book..

Let's not get melodramatic for heavens sake. We are hunting. Not evaluating a new propulsion system for the space shuttle

Btw I reflect on every deer I take everyone is special to me I may not think about it when I shoot but after I get to the deer to gut it I reflect on the fun that deer gave me just being in the woods and I am thankful for any deer I take.

And none of that would changes if you are in or out of a AR WMU.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I had to laugh yesterday when I followed a guy who had a little spike buck on a carrier attached to the bumper of his truck. I was just thinking that this poor guy was in for a whole rash of grief from his fellow hunters for shooting a deer "before it's time". And then, I'll be darned if he didn't pull into a rod & gun club to proudly show his kill to all his buddies. I would love to have heard how those conversations went. Did the guy leave with his head bowed and feeling like a baby killer, maybe to hang up his gun forever, or is perhaps this AR crap just an important issue on hunting forums? I'll never know how that all turned out. I hope the jerks just kept their damned mouths shut and congratulated him on a fine kill and showed him the respect deserving of a fellow successful hunter.

I had to laugh yesterday when I followed a guy who had a little spike buck on a carrier attached to the bumper of his truck. I was just thinking that this poor guy was in for a whole rash of grief from his fellow hunters for shooting a deer "before it's time". And then, I'll be darned if he didn't pull into a rod & gun club to proudly show his kill to all his buddies. I would love to have heard how those conversations went. Did the guy leave with his head bowed and feeling like a baby killer, maybe to hang up his gun forever, or is perhaps this AR crap just an important issue on hunting forums? I'll never know how that all turned out. I hope the jerks just kept their damned mouths shut and congratulated him on a fine kill and showed him the respect deserving of a fellow successful hunter.

He still would have got a thumbs up from me if I passed him in my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc, I agree, it would be awfully pathetic if someone gave him any grief at all. I have never  joked about friends spikes, I have shot them as well. Well if they are skippers then I'll say "well that's no Bambi, it's his little brother" or something in good fun! I really don't care if it passes. I argue the point it is trying to make, the good that could come from it, and that it is not like the deer would vaporize and you would never see one again. You'd see more after a few years.

I live on the Vermont border, and their two on one side rule has helped tremendously in portions of the state. In fact the guys I know who were against the ARs now want it to go to 3 on one side. I work in Vermont and have seen the change. I want my fellow hunters to be more successful, and that's the point I argue. I will keep on congratulating my friends on their spikes, 3's, and 4's and never shame them on any kill.

" I want to shoot monsters"

"Screw you, I want to protect my right to shoot babies"

"Well I just want to do what's right for the herd"

"Screw it, I guess the DEC will decide and we'll all have to live with it"

I think that about sums it up lol.

Belo, not much different than before: some people seem like the deer would vaporize if the ARs were passed, some say they have had enough of the gov't, some argue herd management and herd benefits. Some post links to facts about benefits of ARs. Same song and dance. I've learned a lot from this thread actually.

Wouldn't the simplest solution to building a better buck age structure and get the buck to doe ratio back to a healthy level be to just close buck season for 2 years?  You could increase doe permits for these two years so anyone that is looking for venison could get all they want.  With this concept all the 1.5 year old bucks would be 3.5, all the 2.5 would be 4.5 and so on.  At the same time you would be reducing the doe numbers to help get the buck to doe ratio back closer to 1-2/3 instead of 1-6/7 as it currently is.  Once the 2 years is up, the buck season would open as it currently is.  I highly doubt that the meat hunters out there would be shooting spikes when a healthy age structure of 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 year old bucks is present.  I don't think you have to many hunters traveling to Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Texas, ect. to shoot 1.5 year old bucks... Why is that?  Because, there are many 3.5, 4.5 and older buck available.  Just my $0.02

Interesting !

Belo, not much different than before: some people seem like the deer would vaporize if the ARs were passed, some say they have had enough of the gov't, some argue herd management and herd benefits. Some post links to facts about benefits of ARs. Same song and dance. I've learned a lot from this thread actually.

Would probably work great ....for a while...until a large chunk of the  population of 1.5's are taken out of the chain again.

I am losing faith in the ones steering our management system. Seems like it takes forever to make any changes at all and ones that are made make no sense to me. Like the new licensing structure. Here we are as taxpayers in one of the highest taxed states in the country and they throw us a tid bit cost reduction and then turn around and give a BIG reduction to the NON Resident licenses.   

They will do their survey, stew on the results, issue a multi page report that wont say anthing any different that the one a few years ago, they will toss out a few possibilities and hold public comment periods and nothing will be done. Or at least it something is done both sides are going to hold their heads and wonder what the hell the the point of the change was.

Regardless of which side of AR's one might be on... there is never reason to ridicule anyone for doing what they enjoy doing. Although I will say some hunters have a tendency to apologize right away for having taken something other than a monster buck... I say that one should never apologize for something that he didn't do wrong... unless they feel guilty somehow for the decision they made. There is nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to taking a small buck.. it's legal.. and if that's what makes you happy.. good for you.. that's what its all about. If you've been talking the "I pass on small bucks" stuff and you show up with a small buck... I would think you'd expect to get a little razzing from the boys... maybe a little razzing with a congratulatory pat on the back as well.

• Like 2

Regardless of which side of AR's one might be on... there is never reason to ridicule anyone for doing what they enjoy doing. Although I will say some hunters have a tendency to apologize right away for having taken something other than a monster buck... I say that one should never apologize for something that he didn't do wrong... unless they feel guilty somehow for the decision they made. There is nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to taking a small buck.. it's legal.. and if that's what makes you happy.. good for you.. that's what its all about. If you've been talking the "I pass on small bucks" stuff and you show up with a small buck... I would think you'd expect to get a little razzing from the boys... maybe a little razzing with a congratulatory pat on the back as well.

Yes, but unfortunately it appears that the current culture of hunting is evolving into something competitive and judgmental and very vocal about it all. At least that is the sense that I get from this forum and some others. Success seems to be measured in numbers. I sometimes wonder how many hunters have been or will be driven from our ranks because of the belittling attitudes of this kind of mentality.

Well anyway, this is getting way off topic so I won't go any farther with it.

Exactly!!!! Will you please tell my wife this is the same case for a good Irish Whiskey and a Cigar. She doesn't get it

The fact that we even have to explain that to our wives means they'd never understand..lol

Oh, and that's a crown royal manhatten and cigar for me :)

Edited by nyantler

I agree Doc. Your post was off topic as there was no ridiculing any hunter for their harvest or alluding to people for their thoughts on a matter as "jerks."

"Melodramatic" this whole post is melodramtic - HA!!!

The subject line says it all to catch everyone up. I imagine this post will die by Saturday as the weather should turn and everyone should be in the woods by then. Good luck.

Wait ... I see something brown over there - gotta run!!