Here's a fight starter

Suilleabhain

Let's see if I have this right:  Those in favor of AR's are the guys who plant a food plot (aka bait pile)...install game cams to see what deer are taking the bait...build a "shoot house" overlooking the plot (bait)...and then selectively "harvest" big rack bucks that will later adorn their "trophy room" walls.  When they make such a score, they are quick to explain how that killing was good for the herd; they are practicing "deer management".

The guys who are opposed to AR's are fair chase (No hi-tech...No bait) hunters who hope to get a chance at a buck, regardless of size, when hunting in a natural environment.  They will kill a legal buck of any size, with no apologies.   They will eat the buck, and on rare occasions display an antler mount on the wall of a shed out in back of their house.  They make no claims regarding deer management beyond filling their tag...whenever they are lucky enough to do so.

So....AR's, or no AR's??  I say leave it up to the hunters (although, in many cases, that term is loosely applied).....Hunter's Choice !!!!

• Like 2

BULL!  I think you speak with a guilty conscience.  Today, I think, someone on here mentioned seeing a big buck "in the turnips".   I have wandered around the woods a lot and have never come upon a natural field of turnips.  You are obviously what can best be described as a "modern hunter...sort of!"

Go check your trail cams....you may be missing something!

you didn't answer my question.

I planted a clover plot the size of my living room on a 5 acre spot behind the house I bought last year. It blends in pretty good with the clover that was already there. I don't hunt over it. Never shot a deer on this land although I could have. I'm sorry this bothers you. Guess I'll keep shooting deer on my other property in the transition between their beds and the cornfields... after I call the farmer and tell him to cut down his apple trees and stop planting his corn.

• Like 1

Haha... Early way to jump to conclusions about people who are for or against AR's. I don't have trail cameras or food plots or tree houses but I personally practice three on one side depending on the size of the deer. Why? More meat, longer breeding time and a decent set of horns for the inside of the barn. BUT I am not against grandpa or the kids blasting a spike, or someone in need of food.

• Like 1

Early likes to bash anything modern yet he is on a hunting internet forum.... any great hunter wouldn't do that.

Then he bashes people who work their property to make it better, in hopes of better deer and better deer hunting.

Maybe we should bash him as a lazy old coot, and assume he can only shoot a little 1.5 year old buck cos he is the almighty hunter.  

I think he is making up for his short comings as a hunter and who knows what else is short.... that must be why he is the most negative troll agitator on this forum.  :)

Edited by WesternNY

Early, does this mean I need to move my blind from overlooking the pond because I've done my scouting (both with and without trail cameras) and determined that there's significant deer activity around the pond because it's unfair to ambush the deer while they're drinking?  I guess I should set up in the blacktopped church parking lot, even though I've never seen a deer there, just to give the deer an advantage.  

Let's see if I have this right:  Those in favor of AR's are the guys who plant a food plot (aka bait pile)...install game cams to see what deer are taking the bait...build a "shoot house" overlooking the plot (bait)...and then selectively "harvest" big rack bucks that will later adorn their "trophy room" walls.  When they make such a score, they are quick to explain how that killing was good for the herd; they are practicing "deer management".

The guys who are opposed to AR's are fair chase (No hi-tech...No bait) hunters who hope to get a chance at a buck, regardless of size, when hunting in a natural environment.  They will kill a legal buck of any size, with no apologies.   They will eat the buck, and on rare occasions display an antler mount on the wall of a shed out in back of their house.  They make no claims regarding deer management beyond filling their tag...whenever they are lucky enough to do so.

So....AR's, or no AR's??  I say leave it up to the hunters (although, in many cases, that term is loosely applied).....Hunter's Choice !!!!

I'm in favor of AR's and I don't do any of the things you've described... in fact, I do all the things you say guys that oppose AR's do. So, no I'm pretty sure you have it all wrong... and many hunters that are opposed to AR's make all kinds of apologies and justifications for why they had to kill a small buck... very few come out and say "I kill them because I like shooting small bucks"... which is more honest and understandable.

I just like going into the woods knowing that there are those once or maybe twice in a lifetime 8 and 9 point bucks out there. Even though they are there doesn't mean I will get one but I just like the idea that the possiblilty is there. Ten years ago before we had AR you would be lucky to even see a 6 pointer and hunters were bagging every spike, 4 or 6 they could shoot. If your a meat hunter what is wrong with just baggin one of the many does that are out in the woods. Hey for me its all about making the game alittle more interesting and sitting a lifetime in the woods knowing you are going to be lucky to see only 4 point and spikers, AAHhhh.

Edited by sits in trees
  • Like 1

I don't like statewide mandatory, I do like statewide choice and education and would hope most seasoned hunters would pass on 1.5 year old bucks.   I respect everyone's decision on how they hunt, what the hunt as long as it is legal.

That is the main difference with the notorious negative agitator we all know on this thread.... he doesn't have mutual respect.

• Like 1

I just like going into the woods knowing that there are those once or maybe twice in a lifetime 8 and 9 point bucks out there. Even though they are there doesn't mean I will get one but I just like the idea that the possiblilty is there. Ten years ago before we had AR you would be lucky to even see a 6 pointer and hunters were bagging every spike, 4 or 6 they could shoot. If your a meat hunter what is wrong with just baggin one of the many does that are out in the woods. Hey for me its all about making the game alittle more interesting and sitting a lifetime in the woods knowing you are going to be lucky to see only 4 point and spikers, AAHhhh.

Sits. Those deer were there prior to AR's . They are taken every year in every WMU. Al teh AR's did was increase the number of them and make them available to those that didn't have the quality land and/or the ability or access to go get them.

• Like 1

Sits. Those deer were there prior to AR's . They are taken every year in every WMU. Al teh AR's did was increase the number of them and make them available to those that didn't have the quality land and/or the ability or access to go get them.

Yep, you actually had to work to locate their areas. Then you had to actually spend time in the woods trying to figure out their habits. And then when the rubber met the road you had to be able to either outsmart them or just be plain lucky.

All ARs do is open big racks up to everyone who doesn't want to put the time and effort into the actual hunt.

All ARs do is open big racks up to everyone who doesn't want to put the time and effort into the actual hunt.

I am against mandatory and I do support voluntary and education about QDM principles because there is are benefits to having a more mature structure. BUT I do not believe they are worth the loss of the hunter  to choose their own trophy.