Here's a fight starter

Suilleabhain

Exactly I think that is the misconception w/ AR's. Yes if you don't draw a doe permit that causes an issue if you rely on deer meat to survive. Although I am not sure AR's play a role on this rather than a serious population issue whcih would need to be explored more on why that exists. That is entirely another discussion though.

Yes, I agree Ohio and PA have different methods for their management practices but my point is both are further down the path than NY is.

Many Mid-west states have counties that participate in AR's, so I think it is a fair assessment and could be similiar to NY as whoever said NY has many different regions that are different, management practices should take those into account.

I would be a proponant for AR's and I think it would make the hunting in NY much better over the course of time. The first couple years may be difficult to visbile see the impact but over time it will make the herds stronger.

It will only be a matter of time before it happens.

Ohio is way further down the path, and they did it without ARs. My point on the Midwest states was that none of them had state wide ARs, like some are proposing for NY.

Honestly, what difference does it make if your neighbor shoots a 1 1/2 year old 4 point or a 1 1/2 year old 6 point? They are still shooting a 1 1/2 year old. Put some real educational opportunities in place that show people the benefits of having more mature bucks in the herd, and teach them how to identify the young ones that should be passed, without counting antler points. Then youll start to see a real change in attitudes.

JMO

• Like 2

i wouldn't vote for it, but Kentucky's healthy buck population is one of the best examples on how to grow big bucks. They have a 1 buck rule and I don't believe they have ARs.

I would think that taking two fully mature bucks out of the herd, does a lot more damage than taking just one of your choice..........I'm all for abandoning mandatory AR's and going to one buck per season.

Sits. Those deer were there prior to AR's . They are taken every year in every WMU. Al teh AR's did was increase the number of them and make them available to those that didn't have the quality land and/or the ability or access to go get them.

I've been hunting 3J for 30 years and I can tell you those deer were not there a decade ago.

Absolutely. I believe that everyone who supports ARs should fall under their rules. Those of us who don't support ARs are therefore exempt.

Nah. They want to shoot a 1.5 year old 6 point and slap each others backs that they passed the 1.5 spike. Lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I am not saying the numbers of bucks older than 1.5 haven't gone up. But to say they weren't there before because you didn't see them is a stretch don't you think?

Not at all, if you went 10+ years like me, not seeing a single older deer, what conclusion would you come to? 10 seasons of bow and rifle across two different properties. Now at least sightings are happening, along with some of my uncles neighbors bringing down a few older deer. He has yet to bag one, but at least they are there now. 

I got to laugh at you guys who do feel if AR's were to pass it is dooms day, and if you don't get a doe tag even worse.

If it is 3 points a side.... do you really think you are going to eat tag soup every year?

The first year or 2 would be the toughest.... I agree.  But the sky isn't going to fall.  Stop the panic.

Just this year alone for me, I have seen 9 bucks, all but 2 I could have shot with a 3 pt min, and only 2 were 2.5 years old so 7 of the 9 were 1.5,  5 of the 7 1.5 year olds I could have still shot.

That being said I prefer Vol AR, but laugh at seasoned hunters who shoot baby bucks....  except the young, old, or first timers.... crips let em walk.

Edited by WesternNY

I got to laugh at you guys who do feel if AR's were to pass it is dooms day, and if you don't get a doe tag even worse.

If it is 3 points a side.... do you really think you are going to eat tag soup every year?

The first year or 2 would be the toughest.... I agree. But the sky isn't going to fall. Stop the panic.

Just this year alone for me, I have seen 9 bucks, all but 2 I could have shot with a 3 pt min, and only 2 were 2.5 years old so 7 of the 9 were 1.5, 5 of the 7 1.5 year olds I could have still shot.

That being said I prefer Vol AR, but laugh at seasoned hunters who shoot baby bucks.... except the young, old, or first timers.... crips let em walk.

But that might be the case where YOU hunt. Its not the same all across the state and i dont think AR's statewide will fix that.
  • Like 1

Just this year alone for me, I have seen 9 bucks, all but 2 I could have shot with a 3 pt min, and only 2 were 2.5 years old so 7 of the 9 were 1.5,  5 of the 7 1.5 year olds I could have still shot.

Well, aren't you a lucky fella!!  Come out where some of us others hunt, and I guarantee you that you WON'T see 9 bucks.  If you see one, you'll be doing good, and if you want to kill a buck, you'd better put him down because it might be the last one you get to see.  Some of you guys have absolutely NO clue what hunting is actually.  If you are seeing bucks at every sitting, it don't take much to put one down, but it sure don't work out so nicely for very MANY hunters out there.  As I said at the start, you guys should consider yourselves LUCKY, that you have deer filled areas like that to hunt.  The rest of us have to HUNT, and HUNTING isn't just picking and choosing from a bunch of deer circling around you like you guys are lucky enough to be able to do.

Well, aren't you a lucky fella!!  Come out where some of us others hunt, and I guarantee you that you WON'T see 9 bucks.  If you see one, you'll be doing good, and if you want to kill a buck, you'd better put him down because it might be the last one you get to see.  Some of you guys have absolutely NO clue what hunting is actually.  If you are seeing bucks at every sitting, it don't take much to put one down, but it sure don't work out so nicely for very MANY hunters out there.  As I said at the start, you guys should consider yourselves LUCKY, that you have deer filled areas like that to hunt.  The rest of us have to HUNT, and HUNTING isn't just picking and choosing from a bunch of deer circling around you like you guys are lucky enough to be able to do.

Here comes the sky it is falling....   I don't see bucks every sit, I don't even see deer every sit.   

I grew up in the Adirondacks hunting when you saw a deer track you were excited.

I hunted 14 times, min 3 hours a sit.... 9 bucks.     

Simple logic would tell you guys were the hunting is so bad, that if you don't shoot the little guys in a few years your hunting will be better.

• Like 1

The first year or 2 would be the toughest.... I agree.  But the sky isn't going to fall.  Stop the panic.

That being said I prefer Vol AR, but laugh at seasoned hunters who shoot baby bucks....  except the young, old, or first timers.... crips let em walk.

And just for the record how many other areas of NY have you hunted?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club