Hit a good one,

wheelieman

I can say I called once and never heard a word, it just kinda shakes any faith in them for the future.

Do I understand they are busy? Yes... Is it irritating to be in the situation to begin with, and further irritation when you hear nothing after breaking down and calling, also yes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I agree it can if put in that situation.  I've had them find an 8 pointer for me in the past.  They do determine who they will help depending on the situation and how far they need to travel.  I gave the guy $50 bucks for his time and toward food for the dog.

I can say I called once and never heard a word, it just kinda shakes any faith in them for the future.

Do I understand they are busy? Yes... Is it irritating to be in the situation to begin with, and further irritation when you hear nothing after breaking down and calling, also yes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

You should ask for your money back.  What were your other options?  On a serious note, I understand it's frustrating to lose a deer but how can you be annoyed at asking a complete stranger for help and be mad at them for being to busy to help you?  They're volunteering.  There is no service level agreement.

No, you're a horrible person because you made assumptions before the whole story came out. You should of waited and then let the bashing begin. You sir, single handedly ruined a perfectly bash-potential thread.

BTW, intelligence comes in many forms, not all of them in the form of grammar. Although, having good grammar helps in convincing others of their schooling.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/snakeworship

listen dude. I can only reply to what the OP said. If he left out facts then I'm not to blame. For the final time, if you don't want people to reply and comment; then why post in the first place? I still don't even retract what I wrote. His timeline doesn't make sense in regards to the shot, the land owner, looking for it and tracking other friends deer, which stand he hunted the next day etc.. Re-read it and see for yourself. Given his initial description we all thought it was dead. Now it's running and swimming? come on...

I see these threads all over the internet in regards to many different subjects. Someone comes in knowing they did something stupid. They're looking for someone to reassure them that what they did was ok. A few people will tell the OP that it was ok and not to worry. But the realist on the forum calls them out. The OP gets butthurt because he realizes he's being told the truth and it's not being sugar coated.

Well the usual suspects can feel free to hate on this.

Shot a doe at 730 am. The pair came in in on me quick, she got to 20 yds in my 9 o'clock lane.

I was drawn and had the pin waiting for her there...unfortunately inner voice never told me drop the bow for short yardage.

I fired with perfect form but wrong range and smacked her just behind the shoulders but up as high as possible without a spine (the rage had to enter perfectly horizontal.

I saw the arrow hit and penetrate both sides but stuck...immediately thought "oh no" as she bounded off and did not drop from what I at first instant thought had to be a spine shot.

Both stopped 15 yds later and I was nocking an arrow...she wasn't acting like a fatally wounded deer more like an annoyed one...when she reached back the sight of the arrow spooked her and they took off and i picked a land mark about 100yds out where I last saw them clearly then watched bits and pieces of them continue on until I couldn't see them.

Waited half hour then decided to search for initial sign at the point of impact. Found high cape dark hairs but no blood.

After about an hour i was unable to track to it, so I went to the landmark.

There was very good blood...this pick is from 7 hours later but you can see blood from both sides of the deer and I had this every 5 yards for 50 or 60 yds. I was able to track easily at a walking pace and started to look for a white belly and my hopes got up:post-1622-13845544477774_thumb.jpg

Eventually though I was down on my hands and knees but still a good trail with occasional painted branches and reeds:post-1622-13845545170808_thumb.jpg

Eventually the drops got 20-30 yds a part but it was leading into promising thick stuff like multiflora rose which I crawled through.

Finally blood ran out and I continued about 100 yds down every fresh and then stale and then somewhat non-existent trail that went off of last blood, but nothing.

Then the farmer said he saw 2 doe behind the alpaca barn, one looked bloodied but otherwise normal, he tried it get closer but they spooked:

post-1622-13845548263952_thumb.jpg

I guess she may recover, doesn't make me feel any better...also I know people say it isn't possible but I believe I got her between the lungs and spine.

Ruined my dream archery season and my bow madness gets put away 4-1 with the loss coming last, but it was all user error, the rage probably got me a lot further than I deserved.

Glad it didn't happen to the buck I harvested instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

Hate seeing posts like this but it happens.  Of course it's possible to hit "between the spine and lungs" meaning you probably hit a little of one or both if that's where the arrow went.  Highly unlikely to impossible you went clean through without hitting something, especially if you were in a stand.  But from what you posted I think the deer will likely survive.  Stuff like this is why I'm a 1 pin 20 yard or under hunter, but I have wounded deer for other reasons working within those limits so I'm not judging.  Just hopefully learn from it.  A couple thoughts; strange it wasn't a pass through with arrow completely coming out if you hit where you say you did, so I would look at your setup and KE, but maybe you hit some bone. Pretty typical of a high back hit, blood runs down sides for a while, somewhat absorbed by the fur then eventually it's saturated and starts leaving a trail of good drops.  When it rubs against something it looks like a lot of blood.  I hit a doe in the area you described years ago and had a similar type blood trail for a few hundred yards.  Saw her a week later alive and well.  Ok maybe walking a little stiffer than before.

This is how we learn...

Hate seeing posts like this but it happens. Of course it's possible to hit "between the spine and lungs" meaning you probably hit a little of one or both if that's where the arrow went. Highly unlikely to impossible you went clean through without hitting something, especially if you were in a stand. But from what you posted I think the deer will likely survive. Stuff like this is why I'm a 1 pin 20 yard or under hunter, but I have wounded deer for other reasons working within those limits so I'm not judging. Just hopefully learn from it. A couple thoughts; strange it wasn't a pass through with arrow completely coming out if you hit where you say you did, so I would look at your setup and KE, but maybe you hit some bone. Pretty typical of a high back hit, blood runs down sides for a while, somewhat absorbed by the fur then eventually it's saturated and starts leaving a trail of good drops. When it rubs against something it looks like a lot of blood. I hit a doe in the area you described years ago and had a similar type blood trail for a few hundred yards. Saw her a week later alive and well. Ok maybe walking a little stiffer than before.

This is how we learn...

thanks, sucks but im starting to forgive myself...it was a max effort track job in i can tell you that, over 7 hours many just on my hands and knees...3 hours on my belly thru thicket.

Yeah I'm a one pin guy as well but it's set to 25 to give a pretty flat 30, but a real high 20, they came in quick and I missed a step in my routine.

As far as Ke I think it's actually my foc is a bit low at like 9...gonna get that up to like 12 or 13 next season with 125 grain bh and a lighter vanes (been using goat tuff optivane 2 inch, very heavy). I'm drawing 66 and the bow is shooting like 308fps.

Edited by Meat Manager

I gotta say I called and they came out...two days in a row for that buck ...ended up with a nasty hole in his (handler) leg...crawled through hell in the rain...

Volunteer but they take donations...never got the buck...that's a whole other story...but I gave him 100,00...worth it...for it was a buck I should not have lost and first that I had...never change things that aren't broke and not all things old and in working order are good...it was a payment from a very cheap person to serve as a forever reminder...

I would call them again in a heart beat if I had to...

• Like 1

There is no one who hunts deer for any length of time that escapes the nightmare or wounding and losing a deer. That said, I think enough already! I for one an not proud to admit I belong to this wounded and lost fraternity, but I am. Perhaps it best from here on out to just keep mouths closed until the deer is recovered. They do not give half credit to those who can stick in arrow in or through a deer and have it go off suffer and die. It is not a badge of honor to simply wound animals. I think maybe we should find a way to keep a score card here and tally up just how many animals are reported as wounded and lost. It might be interesting as well to keep tabs on any repeat offenders, and how many times they report wounding and losing deer. Finally, it might be interesting to start a thread on the list of excuses people give for blowing a shot. Heaven forbid we ever admit we either choked, did not practice enough or were so desperate to kill a deer we pushed the envelope a little to far and did something stupid. The sun was in my eyes, he jumped the string, a branch jumped out of nowhere, the string hit my clothes, a gust of wind pushed my arrow to far left.....you get the idea.      

• Like 1

Belo hasn't per one of his posts in here. That is very rare and lucky. He's about the only guy I know of.

As for the op, meat manager and myself, I don't think any one of us tried to shift blame away from ourselves. You shoot, you're responsible. Period.

I will say it again, I don't like seeing this type of post but it allows us to learn from others. Do we really need to keep score? Is this some sort of competition now?

in this day and age of technology and information sharing, I don't expect people to "keep their mouths shut." At least not on an internet forum. If this is upsetting, don't read it. Just my opinion of course...

Edited by mt624

Yeah I absolutely screwed up by skipping the elevation correction step in my aiming routine.

Also I waited to post this until I searched to my best but eventually lost any trace, and then I still searched in every direction fron last blood only to have the farmer text me a pic of the two does bedded, reporting the wounded one acting normal.

Edited by Meat Manager

I guess I see wounding and losing deer as a whole lot different than, "the one that got away"  stories fisherman tell. I guess I see people who post long drawn out detailed stories about their sad misadventures as either some form of sick bragging as if they did something special by getting close enough to a deer to wound it, or feeling so guilty they are looking for someone to tell them "it's all ok", and they are not half the f-up they think they are. And yes I do think it would be interesting to see exactly who, if anyone here, can lay claim to being the top position holder for wounding and losing deer. I would be interested to see who would like to be known as holding top honors in that category.

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 1

There is no one who hunts deer for any length of time that escapes the nightmare or wounding and losing a deer. That said, I think enough already! I for one an not proud to admit I belong to this wounded and lost fraternity, but I am. Perhaps it best from here on out to just keep mouths closed until the deer is recovered. They do not give half credit to those who can stick in arrow in or through a deer and have it go off suffer and die. It is not a badge of honor to simply wound animals. I think maybe we should find a way to keep a score card here and tally up just how many animals are reported as wounded and lost. It might be interesting as well to keep tabs on any repeat offenders, and how many times they report wounding and losing deer. Finally, it might be interesting to start a thread on the list of excuses people give for blowing a shot. Heaven forbid we ever admit we either choked, did not practice enough or were so desperate to kill a deer we pushed the envelope a little to far and did something stupid. The sun was in my eyes, he jumped the string, a branch jumped out of nowhere, the string hit my clothes, a gust of wind pushed my arrow to far left.....you get the idea.

Don't need a special thread for that. You get the gist of who on here does the wounding of animals to save their egos. It's always the ones that has something to prove. Perfect example above.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I guess I see wounding and losing deer as a whole lot different than, "the one that got away" stories fisherman tell. I guess I see people who post long drawn out detailed stories about their sad misadventures as either some form of sick bragging as if they did something special by getting close enough to a deer to wound it, or feeling so guilty they are looking for someone to tell them "it's all ok", and they are not half the f-up they think they are. And yes I do think it would be interesting to see exactly who, if anyone here, can lay claim to being the top position holder for wounding and losing deer. I would be interested to see who would like to be known as holding top honors in that category.

Not looking for sympathy...wanted to convey my experience for anyone who might benefit. I know I did my best.

I also like to show others that although its been 4 years since I lost a deer, my first since joining this forum in 2011 with nearly a dozen harvested in that time, I will make a mistake that results in a unrecovered animal occasionally.

Personally I think it's dishonest to omit our failures and then pump up our achievements.

Harvested many animals before wounding this one but that doesn't change the fact I made a high shot on an excellent broadside 20 yard opportunity. I was not desperate, I've filled several tags, I just made a bad shot.

Hope someone can learn from my story and pictures, I certainly learned a few more things today. I obviously feel bad but I know I did my best.

Edited by Meat Manager

I guess everyone takes away something different. I didn't get a sense that the op or mm were bragging or trying to prove anything. I agree there are people like that though, and I don't like it. Sure would be nice to know who they are. I'm not on this forum enough to get the gist about anyone so maybe I'm missing something based on history here. But reading some of the replies, I have to wonder if some on here have read the entire thread based on their comments, and if their egos are the type that they're just commenting looking for a fight?

Hillbilly, if you're serious, start a thread or even a poll if you can do that on here.

Edited by mt624

So pumped for today I can't sleep!!! Been watching this thread and I'll tell ya..... Anyone ever told me they

they never miss and never lost a deer was full of @#$%. We all have done it. I think the most important thing

is "Did You Learn Anything?"  Each  time I've missed and unfortunately, lost a few, I learned not make that same

mistake again, therefore becoming a better hunter.  All the best hunters I know got that way by learning from their  mistakes.

Good luck and be safe out there today!!                                  

• Like 1

Only had 2 hours to hunt Saturday morning so I filled one of my last 2 dmps right after 7am.

Helped remove the bad taste in my mouth from the lost one from Friday. This was number 5 so I skinned quartered and distributed to my dad and uncle (after I ate the tenderloins).

I'm turning my attention to harvesting another 3 or better yet 4 year old 110-120 buck. I will also take 1 more big doe to totally fill the freezer and hand out another half or so to family.

Edited by Meat Manager