Hit a good one,

wheelieman

you missed the part where the landowner wanted to be there in order to allow permission. my good neighbor can go on my land only if he is tracking a deer, and I the same. You can't just do as you please. It took a while for the landowner to get back to him, its not wheeliemans fault. respect landowner wishes or screw it up forever. wheelieman, if landowner got back to you sooner this would be different. have a beer or 2 with your neighbor and dont worry about it. someone will always find fault with anything.

One way or another learn from it and move on...you should have respect and reverence for the animal, but some of these guys act like whitetails are endangered when its really the other way around in most of the state.

Only you know if you did your best, who cares what any of us cyber jerks say.

Edited by Meat Manager

If you know you might lose a deer because of your neighbor situation; than why are you hunting it? Seems like a gamble that could and did end up with you losing a deer. I never said trespass, but to just "hope" the owner is home is an awful silly way to waste an animals life. But hey, you can still pose for pics and get the rack? That's all that counts... At least according to Bubba.

So your saying don't hunt if there is any chance it might run on property you don't own or have permission to go on? Not many of us would be hunting then. A buddy of mine just found a deer tracked for several hundred yards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

We have a spot that we won't hunt part of because of lack of recovery rights on the neighboring property. We honor the other land owners wishes and as a result stay the hell away from the area alltogether. If we had recovery rights we could get a whole lot more deer but its just the way it is.

I actualy don't plan on hunting it next year because I am sick of it.

ok so im supposed to trespass on property that i have to talk to the landowner first in order to go on, How many people on here complain daily of people trespassing, Just because there is blood does not give me the right to go where i please, I do have this situation worked out ahead of time and this land owner wants to be there when i go on his property, I dont think its to much to follow the rules laid out by adjoining landowners If i piss him off now is he gonna extend the same courtesy in the future, We noticed where the deer went and i called the land owner left a message and waited for him to call me back, The thing about this forum is there are a lot of opinions but some of you guys im so glad im not hunting near, You think its ok to go where you want and do whatever it takes, I personally dont believe that a deer no matter how big is worth getting a ticket or worse, Im not contradicting my self when i say its about the animal, but at the same time we still need to make sure that we follow the rules and try our best to make hunters look good even in a bad situation like when a deer goes farther than we can, Just saying, Maybe it doesnt mean much now but i know respecting the landowners wishes will pay off in the long run, Just sayin

Curious where you can up with the first blood from where you shot it. and how far you wer able to track the blood trail before you hit the property line?

Belo. I am guessing you are one of those who give up after a half hour and go after another. Ever hear of ethics and fair chase? I doubt it. Snd that is according to bubba. Now try to twist one and cry boo hoo in a pm for attacking you. Go wound another one ol buddy

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

I find it very difficult to stomach the fact that a land owner wouldn't let someone track a wounded animal.  I've only had to do it once and was told yes, but only to track THAT deer.

We have rights all around us. The rule is to call and if you don't get an answer right away start tracking. Usually it's a courtesy call to let the other landowner (hunters) know you are coming through. I agree with the waiting for permission thing, that way no hard feelings. Every situation is different.

So your saying don't hunt if there is any chance it might run on property you don't own or have permission to go on? Not many of us would be hunting then. A buddy of mine just found a deer tracked for several hundred yards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

In saying work it out ahead of time, and maybe consider not placing your stands so close to the lines. Understanding the owners views I would consider a shot near the border a risky one. How is it any different than taking a shit in the rain, running deer or low light? If you might not be able to recover the deer for any reason, the shit is risky.

Maybe you need to build up the trust if he's hard to reach or not trusting of you . Donate some venison or do some chores.

Call me what you want but I have no patience for preventable situations like this. A bad shot or wounded deer does happen to the best if us. But some situations are preventable and that's all I have to say

Belo. I am guessing you are one of those who give up after a half hour and go after another. Ever hear of ethics and fair chase? I doubt it. Snd that is according to bubba. Now try to twist one and cry boo hoo in a pm for attacking you. Go wound another one ol buddy

I've never lost a deer bubba. But I have tracked 2 separate deer for multiple hours. Both after I lost blood. Thankful to recover both. And one onto a neighbors property which we had recovery but not hunting rights. It was my first ever bow kill and I caught the liver but hit mostly guys.

In saying work it out ahead of time, and maybe consider not placing your stands so close to the lines. Understanding the owners views I would consider a shot near the border a risky one. How is it any different than taking a shit in the rain, running deer or low light? If you might not be able to recover the deer for any reason, the shit is risky.

Maybe you need to build up the trust if he's hard to reach or not trusting of you . Donate some venison or do some chores.

Call me what you want but I have no patience for preventable situations like this. A bad shot or wounded deer does happen to the best if us. But some situations are preventable and that's all I have to say

Say what???

And he did have it worked out ahead of time, call the neighbor when permission to track is required.

ok so im supposed to trespass on property that i have to talk to the landowner first in order to go on, How many people on here complain daily of people trespassing, Just because there is blood does not give me the right to go where i please, I do have this situation worked out ahead of time and this land owner wants to be there when i go on his property, I dont think its to much to follow the rules laid out by adjoining landowners If i piss him off now is he gonna extend the same courtesy in the future, We noticed where the deer went and i called the land owner left a message and waited for him to call me back, The thing about this forum is there are a lot of opinions but some of you guys im so glad im not hunting near, You think its ok to go where you want and do whatever it takes, I personally dont believe that a deer no matter how big is worth getting a ticket or worse, Im not contradicting my self when i say its about the animal, but at the same time we still need to make sure that we follow the rules and try our best to make hunters look good even in a bad situation like when a deer goes farther than we can, Just saying, Maybe it doesnt mean much now but i know respecting the landowners wishes will pay off in the long run, Just sayin

OK, good point made, now where's the deer?

• Like 1

Maybe. But don't we all cry foul and throw a fit when someone posts a pic of a deer they found dead? How is this any different?

I agree these instances suck and we have had aour share here again this year. Opinions vary but in the heat of the moment poor decisions are made. Doesn't make it right and I know there are instances where we set ourselves up for failure. to close to the property line. hinting in the rain. poor shot angle. not enough practice in the stand or withthe clothes we hunt in. .The list goes on. You know what they all have in common? We actually have control over all of them. Some we don't. But at the end of the day, the sun will set and Lord willing we will be hunting another day. Maybe with lessons learned and better luck. It sucks losing a deer and we should do everthing we can to avoid it. but it sin't the end of the world.

What does torque my Jaw a bit is when I hear these stories and posts are made pointing out some errors and the Op gets cocky or a case of a$$burn. How a person takes criticism speaks to character in my view.

• Like 1

Wow, this thing blew up. I wasn't aware that he had to stop tracking the good blood because it went on the other property and he had to get permission. Well it was very respectful for him to ask the neighbor. Now it sounds like it can be chalked up to a learning experience, such as asking ahead for tracking rights , or whatever. Don't thrash people because they hate seeing a wounded deer suffer or get wasted. It is very easy to take things out of context.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

Now that I might do near the property line instead of the prime hunting area

Personally, I have stands near my property line near all sides. I don't care if you are a sharpshooter or whatever, any deer has the potential to run hundreds of yards any direction they want when shot. I've tracked a deer 500yds with a destroyed heart. Literally nothing left, shreds....If the deer ran south instead of north it would have been on his property. Can't blame anyone, I believe the expression "s**t happens" covers this.

I think he did right for how he handled the situation....to each there own. Who is anyone to judge anyone on hunting tactics. To each there own.

Good luck - shoot straight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've never lost a deer bubba. But I have tracked 2 separate deer for multiple hours. Both after I lost blood. Thankful to recover both. And one onto a neighbors property which we had recovery but not hunting rights. It was my first ever bow kill and I caught the liver but hit mostly guys.

I understand your frustration, but they are volunteers who cover a large area and have lives outside of looking for someone else's deer 24x7.   Keep looking, keep positive and I hope you find him.  I have been through the exact same thing 3 years ago. 

I was a member of Deer Search for a few years, the main reason I gave it up was because of some of the crap I got from people when I couldn't or wouldn't come out............

• Like 1

Belo..... your arm chairing a bit too much...what he did is right..and yes it is all about the deer trying to find the out come good or bad as far as meat recovery....but also on a buck the rack..in coyote country to be honest he probably lost the meat the first night any ways..and with the neighbor..hey I have a strict rule you call FIRST EVERY TIME that is why my posted signs have my cell # printed on them....he was right to wait...I over the years have had 2 nice buck taken ...saw them on the neighbors property wht belly...no cells then and went to get permission ..to find them taken...still I would not trespass to recover...though all neighbors home and Cell #'s..even some work #'s are in my phone now..

Some times doing the right thing doesn't have the end results one wants...but that doesn't mean you stop doing it...

My posted signs also have my number...I wish everyone did this.