Dogs running deer!

bigpaul

Almost every town in NYS is required to have a Dog Control Officer (stupid NYS rule...see N.Y. AGM. LAW § 114 : NY Code - Section 114: Dog control officer)

If you have a problem with your neighbor’s dog...don't call the Police and waste their time, call the town's dog control officer. Let him or her cease the dogs. If you shoot the dogs and get found, you'll either get arrested, in some cases you'll be beaten beyond recognition.

I've hunted a farm in Dutchess where some ass shot the farmers dog...claimed it was running deer.  IT wasn't it was walking to a back field where the farmer was working.  The farmer found out who did it and the guy was lucky to get off the farm alive.  he was taken away in an ambulance.  The farmer then kicked ALL hunters off his land.

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 3

Me too... I just see 2 dogs show up on cam 30 minutes behind a deer.

But it appears they are dogs, appearing 30 minutes after the deer, ON PROPERTY OTHER THAN THEIR OWNERS. The last part is really the important part. I think I would have a nice face to face informative session with the owner about the dangers of the woods since you have so may coyote traps out and all.

• Like 2

But it appears they are dogs, appearing 30 minutes after the deer, ON PROPERTY OTHER THAN THEIR OWNERS. The last part is really the important part. I think I would have a nice face to face informative session with the owner about the dangers of the woods since you have so may coyote traps out and all.

Agreed, a face to fAce would be at hand with land owner and said dog owner. I think that's the only moral of the pic...

If I had to deal with this owner I would start out by handing them the Pics to prove the dogs were there and then I would really take the approach that you are having your property heavily trapped for coyotes and let the owner know that the traps are easily accessible to curious dogs. If they care for those dogs they won't be running around unleashed any more.

that would be step 1.

• Like 2

Humans toss babies in the trash every single day, but when it comes to their precious animals, they instantly become "pet parents" and get all worked up if one of their precious "babies" do not come home after running wild. If I come across a dog running deer on my property, it's a dead dog...sorry I got off topic a bit. 

• Like 1

If I had to deal with this owner I would start out by handing them the Pics to prove the dogs were there and then I would really take the approach that you are having your property heavily trapped for coyotes and let the owner know that the traps are easily accessible to curious dogs. If they care for those dogs they won't be running around unleashed any more.

that would be step 1.

I agree, make it sound like you're concerned about the safety of the dogs when speaking to the owner.

that would be step 1.

100%

Great approach

Humans toss babies in the trash every single day, but when it comes to their precious animals, they instantly become "pet parents" and get all worked up if one of their precious "babies" do not come home after running wild. If I come across a dog running deer on my property, it's a dead dog...sorry I got off topic a bit.

I would love an individual such as yourself do that to my pet... That's heartless. So since you would shoot a dog I assume your ok wih people throwing babies out like you stated? 2 wrongs make a right? You have screws loose man...

• Like 1

Humans toss babies in the trash every single day, but when it comes to their precious animals, they instantly become "pet parents" and get all worked up if one of their precious "babies" do not come home after running wild. If I come across a dog running deer on my property, it's a dead dog...sorry I got off topic a bit. 

Human don't toss babies in the trash every day...maybe a sub-human animal does on occassion...but not a human. 

If I'm wrong, please find me a research paper that shows that this happened on a daily basis.  It's easy to claim thing are real...but its harder to proven them.

I do not know if is still the same as I have not hunted in Suffolk county,L.I. for many years over 15. One day at the Ridge check station a fellow comes up to the window and asks the officer there what he can do Wild dogs have kill all buy 2 of his chickens.The officer said Shoot Them

Another time while posted for deer in a spot that we hunted rabits a fellow comes walking by stops ane we chat for a while, He was the son of the farmer that owned the co op land I was hunting.I ased what happened to all of the rabits that were here,He said Wild dogs got most of them.

People would buy there new house, get a puppy, the puppy would chew on everything, they would take the dogs and drop them off in the woods.Many were shepard size dogs.The dogs would groupo together and hunt to survive.   

I do not know if is still the same as I have not hunted in Suffolk county,L.I. for many years over 15. One day at the Ridge check station a fellow comes up to the window and asks the officer there what he can do Wild dogs have kill all buy 2 of his chickens.The officer said Shoot Them

Another time while posted for deer in a spot that we hunted rabits a fellow comes walking by stops ane we chat for a while, He was the son of the farmer that owned the co op land I was hunting.I ased what happened to all of the rabits that were here,He said Wild dogs got most of them.

People would buy there new house, get a puppy, the puppy would chew on everything, they would take the dogs and drop them off in the woods.Many were shepard size dogs.The dogs would groupo together and hunt to survive.

I seem to recall a different standard for the protection of livestock. Gonna have to google it

Human don't toss babies in the trash every day...maybe a sub-human animal does on occassion...but not a human. 

If I'm wrong, please find me a research paper that shows that this happened on a daily basis.  It's easy to claim thing are real...but its harder to proven them.

I meant that clinical procedure where some pregnant women discard the unborn. I'll be more clear next post.  I just ask that pet owners keep your pet on a leash when walking it for exercise or when not, keep the pet within the confines of your yard. Doesn't seem to be that hard to do.

They call those guys Coy-dogs by me...where my property is, it is the last property off a dirt road with a right of way through a neighbors property...people would drive up our road, let the  dog out,  then drive away, we've seen half breed coyotes with all sorts of dogs up by me...

i love dogs, all of them...if you had a dogs nose and energy and were let loose on a huge piece of land i'm sure you would start sniffing and maybe chase a deer...ITS THE OWNERS FAULT IF THE DOG IS LIKE THAT, NOT THE DOGS...to say you would kill a dog, pretty much for being a dog, is mind boggling. People in my opinion do more harm than the worst dog...personally i think there are more people who should be shot than a dog....

I meant that clinical procedure where some pregnant women discard the unborn. I'll be more clear next post.  I just ask that pet owners keep your pet on a leash when walking it for exercise or when not, keep the pet within the confines of your yard. Doesn't seem to be that hard to do.

Almost as easy as calling an animal control officer.

They call those guys Coy-dogs by me...where my property is, it is the last property off a dirt road with a right of way through a neighbors property...people would drive up our road, let the  dog out,  then drive away, we've seen half breed coyotes with all sorts of dogs up by me...

i love dogs, all of them...if you had a dogs nose and energy and were let loose on a huge piece of land i'm sure you would start sniffing and maybe chase a deer...ITS THE OWNERS FAULT IF THE DOG IS LIKE THAT, NOT THE DOGS...to say you would kill a dog, pretty much for being a dog, is mind boggling. People in my opinion do more harm than the worst dog...personally i think there are more people who should be shot than a dog....

I've never been much of a believer in the existence of the "Coy-Dog"............to believe that, you would also have to believe that a stray dog would be welcome to join up and live with a pack of Coyotes. I would think Coyote's would kill and eat a dog before they would even consider breeding with it.

Coy-dogs don't exist. The coyote gestation periods and domestic dog gestation period differ. It is impossible for them to successfully interbreed. I can add that I have seen some awfully shaggy ol' coyotes that from a distance had me scratching my head.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

I've never been much of a believer in the existence of the "Coy-Dog"............to believe that, you would also have to believe that a stray dog would be welcome to join up and live with a pack of Coyotes. I would think Coyote's would kill and eat a dog before they would even consider breeding with it.

As several drunk Frat boys may attest to......No standards are cast in stone when a bitch comes in heat...lol

• Like 2

Coy-dogs don't exist. The coyote gestation periods and domestic dog gestation period differ. It is impossible for them to successfully interbreed. I can add that I have seen some awfully shaggy ol' coyotes that from a distance had me scratching my head.

NOT TRUE. It is a genetic fact that they can breed and have fertile offspring. The reason it is not common is because social habits differ and a coyote would rather hate a dog than mate to it. Breeding cycles are different.

NOT TRUE. It is a genetic fact that they can breed and have fertile offspring. The reason it is not common is because social habits differ and a coyote would rather hate a dog than mate to it. Breeding cycles are different.

Coyotes or Coydogs?

The large canid which resides in New York is a true species; they are not a hybrid. The proper name is the Eastern Coyote, Canis latrans. Coyotes and dogs theoretically can interbreed to produce what is called a 'coydog'. However, these crossbreeds have a reproductive cycle of dogs, not coyotes, and will give birth at times of the year when the pups cannot possibly survive (i.e., January). In addition, there are behavioral differences between dogs and coyotes which prevent crossbreeding from occurring. Coyotes want to mate with other coyotes and not with dogs. Coyotes are actually more likely to prey upon a domestic dog instead of mating with it. It is in this manner that dog genes are prevented from entering the gene pool of true coyotes, maintaining the two separate species. Coydogs occurred at the leading edge of coyote range expansion during the 1950 to early 1970's. The occurrence of a coydog would be an extremely rare event in New York today.................................I got this off DEC's website.

Edited by jjb4900