Time to upgrade?

jimbo91

Hey guys, i have a hoyt intruder, im not sure what year it was made but it is at least 10 years old. I look around at some of these fancier bows with much higher fps ratings and they are quieter, lighter, more let off etc. Do you think its time to upgrade?

I got pushed into a newer bow from peer pressure and then I won a bow by spending $30 in a raffle . If you are shooting it it it works well for you ,why change . I wouldn't mess with a new bow right now so you have plenty of time to research bows in the next few months . There are a lot of excellent bows on the market !

Boght a Bowtech a few years back to "upgrade" from my proline point blank which I shot very well.....never gaveme a problem....and always did what I asked of it.....would cut off a pinky with a rusty butter knife to have it back. The new bows are great but the price tags are crazy.

Up grade if you wish but if it mechanically sound and you shoot it well?...sometimes better not to mess with a good thing...my 2 cents

Something to keep in mind is ..... your older bow is faster than a recurve and a lot of archers are taking deer with a recurve and stick bow .

Hell ya people thought I was nuts when I went with a recurve hybrid.  Love it it is so simple and such a rush.  You have to put in a LOT more time but when you get one it is all worth it. 

i think with all of the new technology coming out in regards to bows that it is very easy to be lost in the times... i have a switchback xt i bought brandnew in 05 and i feel left behind with these new bows that are out on the market. picking up a bow thats 10 years old will indeed shoot and feel COMPLETLY different then say one of the newest bows out and if anyone begs to differ then they would be smoking some good stuff.

this is where my opion will probobly get flack but here it goes... i never understood with ALL of the technology these bows carry why someone would still want to use these ragady old bows simply out of preference? if money wasnt  the problem they still wish to use an old bow. i see guys using recurves which to me is so primitive and posibly the reason why they still use it but theres somuch more room for error on that shot, lack of speed lack of penetration lack of well, alot... i beleive everyone should treat themselves to somthing nice here and there and if one is tossing around the idea of buying a new bow and stepping into something thats fast and more forgiving, do it! i had a guy telling me he shot one of the biggest bucks of his life with a recurve, wounded it and never found it. WHY?? funny thing is he shoots a mathews and decided to try something different... well that didnt pay off for him.

id say if you can buy a new bow and it wont break your budget then do it! treat yourself, these bows they have out today are really something and you will only find that out by pulling the trigger and making that decision for yourself.

goodluck!

My oldest son was shooting a compound and gave it up for a recurve . He wanted more of a challange . I believe he has at least 4 recurves and the Black Widow cost him something like $900 ( more than a compound ) . He also makes his own footed shafts and sells some on EBAY .

Thanks for the input guys. I have a whole year to decide whether or not i will buy a new one. I told myself after i got my first deer I would buy a new bow, i got one yesterday  ;D . Also i have always been told that it is our responsibility as hunters to stay updated with the best possible equipment, to reduce the chance of injuring the deer with no kill, problem is, who has the $ to buy new stuff every few years? I don't know exactly what ill do yet. I mean its a Hoyt, at one point it was a great bow, and obviously it kills deer, so who knows maybe ill just keep it and save up for a few years.

Congrats on the deer. Let me just chime in here though. Personally, if I was in your situation, I would shoot the old bow until it breaks or the string goes bad. At the point that the string goes bad, make the choice. Your bow is just as capable at killing a deer as a $1500+ Hoyt Carbon Matrix. New bows are nice, and you can say whatever you want to justify buying a new one, but realistically that old bow is just fine.

I never change bows until mine won't shoot well for me anymore and can't be fixed.  Familiarity also means confidence and dead deer.  My bows last 20 years.  If a pay $500 for a bow and it lasts 20 years that's only $25 a year to own it.

Trouble is, when the time comes to get a new bow, an upgrade costs me $1000.

::(

I never change bows until mine won't shoot well for me anymore and can't be fixed.  Familiarity also means confidence and dead deer.  My bows last 20 years.  If a pay $500 for a bow and it lasts 20 years that's only $25 a year to own it.

Trouble is, when the time comes to get a new bow, an upgrade costs me $1000.

Not just $1000 . You usually end up buying a new sight , rest , quiver , stabilizer , different arrows , etc and they all add up !

you can buy things on ebay for cheaper then it would cost to get setup at an archer, quiver, rest, sights can all be bought with sparing expense in mind... a bow does cost roughly 4 - 800$ just for the bow (new). ive seen guys get setup for under a grand with a mathews simply because they had friends give them some second had things. A guy on a budget can make due whats on hand... you can spend as much as you want, the sky's the limit.

I don't think shooting a traditional bow an older compound or a new compound makes a difference in being able to take a deer down.  What you have to realize is if you are comfortable shooting the bow you are using.  I do think the older bows might take a little more fine tuning and the recurves alot more.  If you feel comfortable shooting your old compound shoot it specailly if you are comfortable with it.  It would suck to spend 800 dollars on a new bow and hate it. 

I don't think shooting a traditional bow an older compound or a new compound makes a difference in being able to take a deer down.  What you have to realize is if you are comfortable shooting the bow you are using.  I do think the older bows might take a little more fine tuning and the recurves alot more.  If you feel comfortable shooting your old compound shoot it specailly if you are comfortable with it.  It would suck to spend 800 dollars on a new bow and hate it.

You nailed it !