First hunt of my life - Absolutely hooked

StevieSacs

Finally listened to all my buddies and took all the courses this summer and decided to pick up a bow two weeks ago.  After the first 10 minutes of firing some arrows, I absolutely fell in love with it.  Read a S*%t ton of material for about two weeks straight and after shooting about 500 arrows, I decided to get into the woods and give it a try.

Got permission to hunt up at my buddies house, so I looked around property for some life and finally saw some promising signs ( fresh scrapes..ect) and posted up 20 yards away at the base of a tree.  Have to say that just being out there alone was amazing.  Within the first 20 mins I spotted a doe about 100 yards away just leasurely hanging out and already had the blood pumping in my veins.  I bought a cheap buck caller and was periodically giving a few grunts.  20 mins go buy and I hear some rustling to the right of me.  Figuring it was a squirrel running around, I slowly turn and see a gorgeous 6 pt buck about 30 yards away, slowly walking my direction.  I couldnt have been less prepared at that moment for this deer to walk through.  My bow was basically lieng on the ground beside me and I didnt even have an arrow nocked.  By some miracle, I was able to grab my bow, nock and arrow, and draw without this buck seeing me.  I waited for him to get completely broadside and took the shot.  I watched as the arrow flew about 2" above his back and he ran about 40 yards and just sat there staring at me stomping his hoofs, looking around to see what the hell just happened.  I had fired about 60 arrows that day before I went out and was confident of my ability to make a good vidal shot at that distance, but nerves had gotten to me and it was 100% human error.

I couldnt believe how bad I just blew it.  But I sat there quietly for about another hour and kept periodically trying to call in another buck. about 20 minutes go buy  when I see this 4 pt buck running full steam towards me.  He stops about 15 yards infront of me, turns around so he is quartering away from me, and just stands there for 2 mins looking around. He was too small to shoot, so I just watched him and waited for him to walk off.  He was so close that I coudl probably have thrown a spear at him, all while sitting at the base of a tree.

First time hunting in my life and I saw two bucks within the first two hours. My Buddies couldnt believe how lucky I was, considering some of them have hunting for an entire season and not gotten to draw on a buck.   Sounds a bit odd, but I am glad that I missed that 6 pter.   I feel as thought I didnt deserve to take down a deer like that on my first trip out and havent put enough time in to earn that kill.   Non the less, was an incredible day and It is safe to say that I am absolutely hooked.  I know that I made every single beginners mistake in the book, but know now what I have to do now to get tuned in.

Stevie Sacs

• Like 6

I've been hunting for 45 years and still have been known to make a mistake or two when hunting.  My son tells me to leave the bow on my lap, knocked and ready.  Do I listen, no, and I've missed an opportunity or two. Looks like your well on your way, and as long as you learn from your mistakes, you'll do fine.  Welcome to the best sport in the world, and there's plenty of hunters on here who'll have some great advice.   

• Like 1

Offshore fishing is not cheap, that's for sure.

Get a tree stand, either a climber or a hangon and sticks. Having that will aid in times when you need to get off the ground. Sounds like you had good fun on the first hunt and did mighty well getting into position to shoot a deer.

Offshore fishing is not cheap, that's for sure.

Get a tree stand, either a climber or a hangon and sticks. Having that will aid in times when you need to get off the ground. Sounds like you had good fun on the first hunt and did mighty well getting into position to shoot a deer.

You don't need a treestand, stay on the ground ,it is more exciting way of hunting. Learn to work the wind. Learn how to break up your outline. You will learn when and how to move and draw and you will become a better hunter if you put your time in.Then you can call yourself a hunter and not a shooter from a treestand.

• Like 4

Welcome! Glad you like hunting so much already, if you go days or weeks not seeing a deer is when you start to second guess your love for the sport, just always remember you are out there to relax and enjoy yourself, not always will a deer be there to make it even better. Best of luck this season!

You don't need a treestand, stay on the ground ,it is more exciting way of hunting. Learn to work the wind. Learn how to break up your outline. You will learn when and how to move and draw and you will become a better hunter if you put your time in.Then you can call yourself a hunter and not a shooter from a treestand.

If you read, you'll see the "for times when you need to get off the ground," meaning a mixture of both methods.

Saying only ground or only treestand hunting is ignorant. Both have advantages and hunters have used both methods to kill deer for ages - even before treestands. Indians used high ground all the time to kill.

So, back to the OP. I hope you get another crack at a deer this season. It's a blast.

Sorry your full of crap lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2