BEST BACK STRAP MARINADE

AaronBlaine

Lawdwaz, you are a jerk! Someone doesn't like what you like, and you call them ignorant. Surely your favorite venison is "doctored" to taste like magazine cardboard....That's what you think venison should taste like!

OK, everybody....Lawdwaz has spoken: Do what you can to make real good venison taste like spicey cardboard! That's what he likes!!!

One of the most basic things to understand in life...Everyone's different. I think they teach u that in like kindergarten. So im not sure why ur mocking people. Just plain stupid.

I found a garlic marinade at the grocery store in HF called hunters pride. Great stuff

• Like 1

Sheesh....A lot of guys apparently do not like venison. To alter the natural flavor of venison with some sissy marinade is a crime! If you don't like it...Don't shoot it!

I guess when it comes to cooking meats of any kind we should all start a fire in the back yard with some wood we just cut from the nearest woods, break a stick off a neaby tree, scewer the meat and cook it over the fire. No salt......... nothing but plain meat cooked to get the natural flavor.   wow

lol man I opened up a can of worms on this one! I marinated the steaks and had a buddy and his wife over for dinner. THEY WERE AMAZING!!! It was nice to look around the table at everyone chowing down on the hard work I have put in to harvest the wonderful meal we were eating.  It felt good to know that I had supplied my friends and loved ones with a delicious meal and it gave us a reason to get together.  We had some great laughs and a wonderful time and in the end I think that's what its all about.  If you want to introduce this wonderful delicacy to new people I don't see anything wrong with adding a little spice even if it covers up the gamey taste.  Personally I love the taste of plain venison I could eat it all day.  However not everyone has the same taste in food and I don't think I am sacrificing my mountain man manly taste buds by adding a little zing to my meat.  Or perhaps the next time I see a deer hit on the side of the road I will jump out of my truck punch a manly hole in its stomach and start eating the deer maggots and intestine included while oncoming drivers shout manly grunts in astonishment of my manliness! GET SOMEEE!!!!!! lol

• Like 2

lol man I opened up a can of worms on this one! I marinated the steaks and had a buddy and his wife over for dinner. THEY WERE AMAZING!!! It was nice to look around the table at everyone chowing down on the hard work I have put in to harvest the wonderful meal we were eating.  It felt good to know that I had supplied my friends and loved ones with a delicious meal and it gave us a reason to get together.  We had some great laughs and a wonderful time and in the end I think that's what its all about.  If you want to introduce this wonderful delicacy to new people I don't see anything wrong with adding a little spice even if it covers up the gamey taste.  Personally I love the taste of plain venison I could eat it all day.  However not everyone has the same taste in food and I don't think I am sacrificing my mountain man manly taste buds by adding a little zing to my meat.  Or perhaps the next time I see a deer hit on the side of the road I will jump out of my truck punch a manly hole in its stomach and start eating the deer maggots and intestine included while oncoming drivers shout manly grunts in astonishment of my manliness! GET SOMEEE!!!!!! lol

as long as it gets eaten and enjoyed, who cares how it's prepared?

• Like 1

it depends on what i'm going for... I've marinated using Lupos, Salamidas, I've made my own of a seasoned hint of orange citrus favor, I made a sweet heat type of marinade, and I've made some more smokey bbq flavor.

tell me what type of favor you think you might be into and I could type something up.

all my backstrap steaks are cut at least 1" thick and all as close to the same thickness as possible.  the rest is put together to flash fry for things like fajitas.  like lawdwaz said cook them on high heat.  if you pull them off at medium rare and set them on a plate to sit they'll continue cooking from the residual heat a tad more to medium.  like Early said the taste of venison itself is very good.  if you don't cook it more than medium it will keep that favor, not turning game-ish, and it'll also enhance the favor of the marinade too.

I was tortured for a long time eating overcooked tough venison cooked in season salt and lots of butter growing up.  couldn't believe what I was missing.  leftovers reheated only exist for ground venison.  not even roast.

it's one of the best feelings that comes with hunting isn't it? I worked a place the past several years that hired European help for cheap (Slovaks, Czech, some English) and I would always invite them to come fishing at the lake we worked at and we'll catch fish and grill them right there and I'd also bring a cooler of venison and I'd make them bacon wrapped venison or venison burgers and it was really awesome watching 15 people eat and love my food and many of them started asking questions about hunting in America etc. Really great experiences that I hope to continue.

• Like 1

Im not big on marinades, but I do soak them once in a while. Italian dressing (high test, not the fat free) with a clove or two of crushed garlic, and some cracked black pepper works real well…. Marinade the straps over night and slap on a hot..hot grill for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes each side, depending on how thick the cuts are. Do not over cook. Inside should be a little on the pink side.

Coat with olive oil, cover with some finely chopped fresh rosemary, black pepper and little salt...touch or red pepper flake...grill over a wood fire-high heat- 30-45 seconds per side(4 turns).....slice thick or slice thin and serve on grilled bread rubbed with garlic and dress with seared onions in butter!

I always make at least one batch without any seasoning at all just to know the natural taste of the animal.  I marinate the rest.  I actually don't mind it without seasoning but seasoning does make it a little better.  I hate over seasoning it to the point where I can't even taste the meat anymore.  That's why I never use tartar sauce for any fish I eat.

Seasoning makes venison a little better....NOT! Now, I do understand it is a matter of taste, but if you think seasoning improves venison, you really must check out the thread here for Country Fried Venison....best, complicated recipe I have ever seen for ruining venison. Most "seasoning" recipes for venison would work better with the tongues out of old work boots...or, at least as good!

Are all the marinade guys, city guys??  Just wondering

That's another board statement.  My point is that it's all taste and taste is subjective.  There is no right or wrong.  Like I said, I never use tartar sauce and I never use any salad dressing for my salads.  That doesn't make it right or wrong or better or worst.

Aw, c'mon.....Differing opinions are the spice...or is it marinade...of life.   But it does bother me the great lenghts people go to to make the eating of venison possible.  "UGH....Me hunter....Just can't stand taste of wild meat!!!"  If you don't like venison...don't kill deer!