Wounded deer!!

Buckjam32

So yesterday and today I've ha deer on my property that have been shot in the back leg. Last night sitting in my blind I see a deer coming across the field limping like crazy small 7 point I get out of the blind to inspect the deer in I'm watching it limp around. I felt bad watching him limp and didn't wanna see him suffer so I put him down. This morning my dad was hunting in the blind and 5 doe come running across the field and the one in the back was walking funny then she beds down in the field my dad goes to look at her sure enough shot in the back leg so he put her down nice mature doe. What is it with people? Are they just not taking the time to place the shot right or you think they are just kicking the deer up and firing at them

On the run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many years ago while standing on the side of Blue Mountain near the Appalachin trail with my grandfather I was hearing 4 5 shots ringing out all over the place. It sounded like Utah beach. I was getting upset and said, "they're killing all the buck before they get to us. My Grandfather leaned over and said " One shot deer, two shot maybe 3 shots no deer."

• Like 1

Many hunters do not take the time to become a good shot.  They like to bench shoot and say the GUN is good and think they can be a good shot without shooting offhand.  No different in bow, some practice a week or two before the season and say I am good. 

You and your father did the right thing, it is a shame to see this but it's and unfortunate part of hunting.  Hats off to you both for using your tags on these deer, you are true ethical sportsman and have my respect. 

• Like 2

Years ago hunting on private property, 9 shots come from the property next to us ,4 fellows hunting on about 2 acres ?.

about an hour later one comes to where we were hunting and asks if anyone has a doe permit the do not intend using.

we go over and look at the deer still alive shot in the leg and the nose.One of our friends went over to the deer with his knife and dispached the deer, put his tag on it,the property owner of the 4 hunters asked him to take the deer and told the 

4 fellows to pack up and leave one of witch was his son. 

Many years ago while standing on the side of Blue Mountain near the Appalachin trail with my grandfather I was hearing 4 5 shots ringing out all over the place. It sounded like Utah beach. I was getting upset and said, "they're killing all the buck before they get to us. My Grandfather leaned over and said " One shot deer, two shot maybe 3 shots no deer."

I know that area well...by wind gap or Lehigh?

Also I'd say your grandpa knew hunter behavior pretty well.

CALL DEC. They will issue you a new tag since it was a mercy kill. My butcher told me that this year. Good job taking them out, better than a long lingering demise. Some people are indeed hacks. I understand stuff happens, but twice on the same land??? Someone needs some practice, patience, or a seeing eye dog.

I know that area well...by wind gap or Lehigh?

Also I'd say your grandpa knew hunter behavior pretty well.

SW of New Ringold about 3 miles West of 309 Where they guy had a hubcap collection all over his yard. The road right at the bottom make a left if heading North and go out past the Caboose parked by the road. It's about 1 mile before the gamelands parking lot.

CALL DEC. They will issue you a new tag since it was a mercy kill. My butcher told me that this year. Good job taking them out, better than a long lingering demise. Some people are indeed hacks. I understand stuff happens, but twice on the same land??? Someone needs some practice, patience, or a seeing eye dog.

it sucks having to burn a tag up on someone else's screwup, but DEC doesn't issue tags for "mercy" killed deer............a few years back, on opening day, I was coming out of the woods and thought I snuck up on a bedded buck, one well placed neck shot did him in...........when I walked up to him I found his front legs had been just about blown off at the brisket and another shot in his rear end........really took away from the harvest and my season was over, but nothing I could do at that point.

It's just frustrating to have to use my tag on a deer that would of been a nice buck next year. But because somebody has bad aim and I don't wanna see a deer suffer I have to shoot it.

I'm really sorry that you were put into this situation. But, thank you for doing the right thing. I know it doesn't affect me personally but I appreciate what you did.

huh...  i was talking to the butcher about a doe i saw this doe i passed up because its ribs were showing, they said shoot it and call DEC and they will replace the tag.  said "really, no questions asked?" they said "yep, we've had customers do it with injured or sick deer." maybe it depends on the situation (bad meat as bubba pointed out) as well as the DEC officer. next time i see them i will get some more info on their experiences. i wouldn't hesitate to put one down but it kind of takes the wind out of a season. thanks for the info folks.

huh...  i was talking to the butcher about a doe i saw this doe i passed up because its ribs were showing, they said shoot it and call DEC and they will replace the tag.  said "really, no questions asked?" they said "yep, we've had customers do it with injured or sick deer." maybe it depends on the situation (bad meat as bubba pointed out) as well as the DEC officer. next time i see them i will get some more info on their experiences. i wouldn't hesitate to put one down but it kind of takes the wind out of a season. thanks for the info folks.

"unfit for human consumption" would be a deer that you shoot, and for whatever reason cannot be eaten.......fresh wound on a deer that has nothing else wrong with it probably wouldn't qualify.........I've seen deer killed that had old wounds that you could actually smell and showed obvious signs of advanced infection, pretty sure that would qualify, as well as any deer that may be suffering from any type of noticeable disease.

So yesterday and today I've ha deer on my property that have been shot in the back leg. Last night sitting in my blind I see a deer coming across the field limping like crazy small 7 point I get out of the blind to inspect the deer in I'm watching it limp around. I felt bad watching him limp and didn't wanna see him suffer so I put him down. This morning my dad was hunting in the blind and 5 doe come running across the field and the one in the back was walking funny then she beds down in the field my dad goes to look at her sure enough shot in the back leg so he put her down nice mature doe. What is it with people? Are they just not taking the time to place the shot right or you think they are just kicking the deer up and firing at them

On the run?

You both did the right thing. Kudos to both of you and may you be blessed next year with wall hangers!

Don't they get infected when they are injured like that ?

It depends on how old the injury was and the severity of the injury. Infection is absolutely possible, but I've seen deer survive and even thrive with worse injuries (sadly!) caused by car strikes... they are pretty tough critters. If one shoots a deer with signs of infection, one can indeed get a new tag if the meat is unfit for consumption.

You did the right thing, and obviously hunt like a truly ethical sportsman should. I haven't seen any deer like this yet but my opening day, and both my hunts this weekend were ruined by trespassers trampling around. I know that they would shoot at any brown they would see. One guy even walked in front of me today and started dragging a doe i just shot. Amazing I even saw her with his stomping around. So both properties I work hard and pay to hunt on have had 0 buck activity and one is a no doe zone. These areas were flooded by bucks during archery. So are people these dumb, don't give a shit, or completely ignorant. i confronted this guy today and he was like," I was just trying to kick stuff up." The other guy on my other property openly admitted he was trespassing, what a joke.