Deer movement question

TeeBugg

Pressure change before and after fronts often are paired with increased feeding and deer activity.

With the bigger (for the time of year) snow coming, the deer will be up putting on the fed bag. If you can find the right food source, it should be a good hunt.

• Like 1

Let's say we get 10 inches of snow tomorrow. Where do you think the food source will be, the same or something new like apples? (They still haven't hit the apples by me.)

I don't think its the same across the board.

People who "invested" in brassica/radish may find some deer there; a lot of the conversion has taken place. This could be a double whammy because deer are just turning on to the food source with the conversion and that would mean there's a large availability of it (say a field full) rather than just spots of consumable or easier to reach food sources elsewhere.

They'll paw through snow to get to food they need with little issue. Late cut corn fields are probably high on the list if the snow isn't super bad.

In non ag areas, I'd be seeking out the apple and other fruit trees that show late drop characteristics. Heavy snow can force some of those trees to lose a bit of fruit because of the heft/weight. Or, even if they don't drop, the added weight of the snow can make branches that were once unreachable...reachable to the deer. It won't support a lot of deer obviously, but if its in cover, could be a good place to set up on.

Green fields seem to still be drawing in some deer. Once the snow piles on, that will subside a bit, but deer will still visit if they can get through the snow.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Just so we are clear, I am not in the persuasion to have a hard on for guys. If you are that is fine.  My post simply was saying they could be starting to yard up. Not everything on here is about you even though you like to think it is.  Stop being a jerk people would stop posting like they do.  For you to say weather does not effect deer movement was honestly foolish at best.  Now go play.  

Really...Mid November..Couple inches of snow at best and you talk yarding?  The weather may effect them for a day or two..Ie..Wind!

Really...Mid November..Couple inches of snow at best and you talk yarding?  The weather may effect them for a day or two..Ie..Wind!

I witnessed two yards last night on the drive home. One had more than 30 does in it. The other was well into double digits. Was shocked.

I haven't read the other comments. Last night, I decided to mix it up a little by sitting right against a tree in full blaze orange, just inside of a 100 acres of thicket- woods. Deer started showing up about 3:38 pm. first with doe fawns crossing in front of me then after 4 during a snow shower, 2 nice doe passed, maybe 60 yd. History in this spot proves that deer moving this early should make for a good nights sit.  It proved right. About 4:55 pm., a nice, maybe 170 lb.,  2 1/2 year old 8 pt. came to bow range on me following, the earlier doe fawn scent. I passed on it, as it was after sunset and I'm looking for at least a 3 1/2+ year old.  I'd say the second breeding season is near here.  The rules have change, but I throw the cards on the table.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I witnessed two yards last night on the drive home. One had more than 30 does in it. The other was well into double digits. Was shocked.

We notice more of that kind of thing when the temps drop, not always snow included in that observation. Two years ago we ran into a herd of 20+ durning late ML season when it was real cold and that wasn't the first time.

We notice more of that kind of thing when the temps drop, not always snow included in that observation. Two years ago we ran into a herd of 20+ durning late ML season when it was real cold and that wasn't the first time.

It certainly contributes to the problem hunters have with staying out and in the woods. Either you have them on your hunting ground, or you don't.

The second and subsequent ruts occur when a doe that was not bred during the first rut re-enters estrous and doe fawns come in to estrous. A doe fawn will not be able to  enter estrous until she achieves a body weight of 80 pounds or better. This depends on when she was born, how well her dam produced milk for her fawn(s) and the level of protein she consumed after weening. In Southern PA on my parents farm a good portion of the doe fawn come in to estrous along with the mature doe. We indirectly feed them our best soybeans all summer :(

The majority of doe fawns in our area are bred and often make up the bulk of the second rut according to talks I've had with our regional biologists. He actually cited a large %, somewhere around 2/3-3/4 if I remember correctly because they gained the body mass needed to go into estrous.

Let's say we get 10 inches of snow tomorrow. Where do you think the food source will be, the same or something new like apples? (They still haven't hit the apples by me.)

they won't care about apples as much.  apples are high sugar but that's it.  not a high energy food source like corn.  they'll hit them as they browse by but won't stay long or eat much at all.  they hit those more between sept - early November.  we're pushing towards December now.  Corn, turnips, and cereal grains are going to be hit pretty hard now.

Pressure is always a factor, i'm sure weather is to a lessor degree, you need 600 plus acres just to hold a doe family group wholely with in your own property. so head to thick places or create them and make it a sanctuary (dont go in it or push it or shoot into it) thick areas close to high carb food will be the ticket with large amount of snow, and daylight movement will increase as they can soak up the sun while looking for food using less energy(heat loss), hunt close to but not in the bedding areas for good shooting light. unless your a lot better at sneaking in and scent control than a deer is entering a bedding area is a no no imo. unless your driving deer....