Shot My First Deer... not a happy ending

Vince1

Shot my first deer yesterday morning. Thought I had a good shot, honestly now that I think about it I don't know where the arrow hit just where I aimed for.

recovered the arrow it was a pass through, white hair and blood from nock to point. not a lot of blood on the arrows but I saw a bubble in one of the blood trails so I figured it was at least one lung cause he ran far. shoulda  backed off him the minute I realized he was running over 200 yards, but I didn't with all the excitement.

thought he was bleeding hard cause in some spots there was a TON of blood, while in others it was just drips and spots.

finally I lost the trail after maybe 300 yards as he came to an open area that had two intersections. got on my hands and knees looking for blood in EVERY direction then walked a bit father out looking where I could. finally went to eat lunch. at about 2 and give it a think.

called deer search from the woods but of course no reception. did a bit more looking all over and couldn't find him.

finally left the woods and drove a ways till I got reception, got deer search and the guy came out at around 8:30. Those dogs are AMAZING found the trail probly 50 yards away from where I lost it and the blood was just drips at that point but he found it.

kept following for another 100 yards and finally the deer crossed the road into private property.

GO FIGURE, the guy from deer search had to go find another guys bear further upstate in the AM so we called it a night at about 10:30 at night.

live and your learn.

think I pushed him to another guy who pushed him outa the woods, had he run in the other direction deeper in the woods I woulda found him, if I had the mind to just back off. Guy from deer search said the blood looked like a liver shot, INCHES from where I aimed. was a broadside shot and I was aiming First to low now that I think about it, right above his right leg and I was about 17 feet up between 13 and 16 yards away.

big thanks to deer search for coming out.

gotta love lady luck.

Deer search is really great. Sorry to hear you lost the deer. I can relate. I fatal gut shot my first bow kill and I also was too eager to wait. But after 300 and a diminishing trail I did back out. 4 hours later I was lucky to get back in and recover him. Single lung hits are fatal but they'll go a long way if you don't slice something else too. Keep at it brother, it only makes the next one sweeter.

Edited by Belo

Vince are you hunting somewhere there isn't snow on the ground ? 

I WISH there was snow on the ground, but im down in Westchester right now.

gonna head back out in the AM. decided to give my spot a day off since I just shot the momma doe and head out tmw to see if any of the others that where with her come on back.

oh, that was my second mistake. I shot the biggest doe and she was on it, from the minute she walked in she knew something was up. the others that were with her didn't know what was going on and just went about their merry business.

Hard to tell. No location filled in on the profile.  Hunting location just says Catskills. But looking at the snow depth maps it doesn't look like anywhere in the Cats have snow cover.

this is my first year and I don't really have a spot I hunt, I been doing sterling / Westchester / long island.

White hair, You should have called Deer Search Inc. there eastern headquarters is in the Westchester area or not far from there.

yup called them, they came out. deer ran up on private property and it was game over. was late at night by time we finished up

As a general rule when I bow hunt and shoot a deer if I dont see it drop, I leave the woods for a hour after marking the blood trail.. Give the deer and yourself sometime to calm down and think about a game plan and your shot..

Sorry about your deer probably safe to say we have all been there..

Couldn't agree more.  When I arrowed my 8 point this season with a good double lung hit I backed out even knowing that it was good.  I waited until he was out of sight and backed out and got some help.  Didn't want to drag it alone.   B)    

Don't beat yourself up over it Vince just learn from it and you did the right thing calling Deer Search.  It happens

Edited by Steve7

My, Bo Bo ,Did not read the whole story. Question Did the Deer Search person recommend that you get permission from the other landowner to go on there property to search for the deer.

nope, but it was 10:30 at night and we tracked for over 2 hours and glanced the property noting there were no lights on in the place. he wasn't able to get back out there the next day cause he had to go upstate to help someone else.

don't think two guys dressed in camo coming up to your door late at night with flashlights asking for permission would have been a welcome thing.

now if it was laying in their driveway, that's a different story. but since it seems only the dog could find the trail we called.

• Like 1