Loosing my mojo

BUCKANDAQUARTER

I've felt the same way the last few days. Think it mostly has to do with not seeing deer for me.

Saw deer on camera and in the woods, and passed on a few deer in October. November has been a burst though, until this morning I had not seen a deer since the Sunday of opening weekend. Now that I saw one I feel better.

Same thing happens to me when I stop getting birds in the spring. Sometimes you just have to grind it out.

Taking a break would probably be a good thing, but as mentioned earier in the post by someone, that end of season "desperation", I guess, is creaping in. If the season was longer there is no doubt about it I would take a day or two off, working doesn't count! The responses have helped tremendously I must say, and I am starting to come out of the funk a little. I have the afternoon off from work so I damn well better see something tonight so I can keep my head in the game!!

Some mornings I have a hard time getting up, but unless its pouring in archery season I almost always get up because I've talked myself into harvesting many times by getting up.

Also, I'm so obsessed with whitetail hunting that I literally dream about it all year...that helps get me out there from Sept in NJ to NY oct to january (tompkins Dmfa) back into NJ thru feb for winter bow season.

Finally I have only seen 1 mature buck in the past month and I got him with the bow...seeing picks of mature bucks on my game cams keep me out any chance my wife and son will give me.

That said...if your not feeling it, don't half ass it or you'll end up making a mistake of one sort or another because of lack of focus.

Sounds like youve got it sorted...kill face!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

After 10 straight days of waking up at 4 am it is getting old, I agree... now I go back to work and I need a vacation... lol

to each their own.  10 straight days of getting up at 4 am to go hunting would be exactly my vacation.  more specifically all of it!  so I wouldn't be getting any more.

I can say the biggest factor to me is the close of the season. Ohio has bow open until Feb. 1. It's more of a marathon than a sprint for that state's hunters. Short gun season placed correctly and a lengthy bow season. I don't want to get into what is right or wrong management wise, but the simple logistics of having a long bow season allows for one to "hunt" at one's own pace (if you bowhunt). With a long gun season that can really pressure the deer, and a quickly ending bow season thereafter, I start to get wore out.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed this years bow season... Not only because I got my buck, but for the reasons phade stated above. If I couldn't get out it wasn't the end of the world. I never found myself burning out, or beating myself up if I needed a break to regroup. I do enjoy gun season, but when I really thought I was on to one all my efforts were ripped to shreds when the army showed up on Thanksgiving, and didn't leave. I know we hunters are generally out there for similar reasons so I harbour no resentment towards the 6 other guys that showed up. In fact as long as they had permission to be there I'd help them drag one out. Went out tonight to the water spring stand. Heard the tell tale twig snap in the distance. Then heard the rustling get closer.  Unfortunatly shooting hours ended with no sightings.