Bought a New Toy

phade

The 770 was their failed attempt on an economic product line.  They admitted so much by release the new 783.  Have anyone tried the new 783?  Curious.  But then again, if you can get a 700 for under $400, why would you even buy a lesser economic line?

Reviews of the 783 put it in the Ruger American ballpark, but most of the editors, etc. give the nod to the American slightly.

While it's going to be another economy rifle, it's probably not going to be 770 caliber crap long-term.

I have had many Remy. 700's threw the years,most bone factory stock, a few blueprinted and some customs.Only had 1 that did not group very well at 100 yds.Model I forgot but it was a .308 caliber.We removed the bbl. set it back a little re chambered it , bedded the action, shot factory, + many different reloads,that thing just would not group well.One that shot the best was a BDL with a bull bbl. in .243, that thing shot so well,people found it hard to belive there were 10 shots in the target.But a bit heavy to carry around.

If I were ever to buy another one I would go for the CDL I like the idea of a removable mag. 

The 770 was their failed attempt on an economic product line.  They admitted so much by release the new 783.  Have anyone tried the new 783?  Curious.  But then again, if you can get a 700 for under $400, why would you even buy a lesser economic line?

That's very true about the cost, but I think the 783 has features that can make it an even more accurate rifle than the 700.  The 783 along with the Ruger American pretty much stole some technology from Savage, and Savage rifles just might be the most accurate out of the box.  These new inexpensive rifles don't look pretty, but they can shoot.  I wouldn't be surprised if Remington adapts some of the 783 features into a new 700 somewhere down the road.  The 700 is still a great rifle but it's been in production for 50 years now, so an upgrade will probably happen sooner or later.  Of course anything new that comes out these days, generally requires less labor to make, so that's only another reason to adapt some of the features that they put into the 783.

• Like 1

I can't believe Remington puts their name on the 770. I'm sure it's accurate and reliable enough to take deer but the action is a gritty, rough piece of crap and the gun is uglier than hell. Any 700 action blows this 770 crap bag out of the water.

Sounds similar to when they tried to tweak the 870 and made that pos nitro.

ADLs are good but I like the BDL's more. I have a BDL in .308 shoots and looks great. Not sure why they stopped making the BDL's in .308 though.

The SPS is available in .308, its the same gun as the BDL, but with a composite stock. If you dont want composite, check out the 700 VLS. Its available in .308 as well.

Without checking the website to see what might have changed since I last paid attention....

ADL...Either birch stock or tupperware stock, blind mag, matte blue finish and open sights.

BDL...Hi gloss <<YUCK>> polyurethane finish walnut stock, bright polished blue, hinged floorplate, ebony forend cap and <<YUCK>> , monte carlo stock, open sights with hooded front sight, somewhat gaudy checkering <<YUCK>>..

CDL... Walnut stock, oil finished with tasteful classic style rollover cheekpiece with ebony forend cap,relatively tasteful checkering, detachable box mag <<YUCK>>,matte blue finish, no open sights.

Edited by Pygmy

My CDL does not have the DBM, it has the hindged floor plate. The blueing is very nice, current ADL guns are not as nicely finished. The stock on a CDL has a satin finish and is quite appealing as is the lack of rifled sights on the barrel.

The older BDL guns were great but these days I'd gladly take a CDL and have!

SPS is rougher than a cob........got one of those also.