How dumb are spikes ?

fadetoblack188

the body size topic is interesting too. The best rack i ever shot in my avatar pick. A nice 8 point but only weighed 135lbs during bow. Last year I shot a small 5 that weighed over 150. But generally, you can tell a mature doe from a younger by simply looking at the blockyness of her head and the large belly from multiple years of birthing.

One time a friend and I were posted around 100 yards apart a spike buck walked out from the heavy woods and went back and forth to each of us stomping and scraping the ground trying to make us move, it finally gave up and walked away.We were both dressed in bright orange from head to foot and on the ground.

I have not shot anything this year on my property because everything here is no more then 2 years old.One spike and his two sisters and there young ones of this year. Once in awhile another buck tall spike with little 1" points on each side.

Grandmom and her brother or stud an 8 pointer only showed up twice before archery season.  

Spikes maybe easier in an area with less hunting pressure...but a old doe is sometimes harder to kill then a old buck...i think it all depends on where you hunt and the human to deer ratio....if there's a lot of hunters in your woods then any deer will be smart

a spike (1.5 year old)  will always be easier to kill in a given area than an older deer.  i think you mean high pressured areas a spike where people actually shoot at them they'll be more wary, which i agree with.  i agree too that old doe are hard to kill.  that buck travels more than that old doe.  she knows every spot she's busted you in the past and will walk into your stand with her eyes pegged on you the whole time. 

with the whole smart versus dumb thing.  i think ALL deer are "smart" in the sense that they know how to avoid you if they wish, even a spike.  a spike simply hasn't realized to what extent he has to avoid you.  an older buck has been shot at, stalked, etc knows not to keep distance but to get the heck out of dodge.

• Like 1

If I called you dumb, would that be disrespectful to you?

I'm sure you've seen most of my post in regarding respecting the animal. I'm probably as big an animal lover who also hunts that you'll meet. I'm just not sure I find calling an animal dumb is really "that big a deal". Would you prefer we call them "less than intelligent" instead?

I'm sure you've seen most of my post in regarding respecting the animal. I'm probably as big an animal lover who also hunts that you'll meet. I'm just not sure I find calling an animal dumb is really "that big a deal". Would you prefer we call them "less than intelligent" instead?

I know what you mean.  I have a friend who refers to some deer as retards and it drives me nuts.  I have another friend who treats dead spring gobblers like a piece of shit.  Maybe I need new friends?

I have a book on turkey hunting that means a lot to me.  It was written by John M McDaniel and titled "Spring Turkey Hunting, The Serious Hunter's Guide"  I bought my copy in 1990.  On page page 68 the author titles a section "PORTRAIT OF A SPRING GOBBLER HUNTER".   It is probably about 1200 words and is very powerful piece and changed the way I look at turkey and deer.  If I could bring it to this discussion I would but typing approx. 1200 words ain't in the cards

Although many on here may not be interested, I think you might be Belo.  Maybe tomorrow I'll see if my buddy at the local UPS store could make a decent reproduction of the text and I could scan it then PM it to you without having the copyright police knock on my door.

OP......sorry for the derailment. :fie:

We often make fun of some of the immature deer because we have seen one or two actually get into a confused state and make some bad choices. And sometimes they do some comical things. But it really has nothing to do with their intelligence, only their lack of experience. Spikes may be experience, but I have noticed that when it gets to be about this time of the season, even the fawns start getting pretty darn good at the disappearing act. Eventually, they figure it all out.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. I have a friend who refers to some deer as retards and it drives me nuts. I have another friend who treats dead spring gobblers like a piece of shit. Maybe I need new friends?

I have a book on turkey hunting that means a lot to me. It was written by John M McDaniel and titled "Spring Turkey Hunting, The Serious Hunter's Guide" I bought my copy in 1990. On page page 68 the author titles a section "PORTRAIT OF A SPRING GOBBLER HUNTER". It is probably about 1200 words and is very powerful piece and changed the way I look at turkey and deer. If I could bring it to this discussion I would but typing approx. 1200 words ain't in the cards

Although many on here may not be interested, I think you might be Belo. Maybe tomorrow I'll see if my buddy at the local UPS store could make a decent reproduction of the text and I could scan it then PM it to you without having the copyright police knock on my door.

OP......sorry for the derailment. :fie:

Would love to read it !

Spikes are no dumber than any other deer!

Probably true.. the key word here is "dumb".. they are not necessarily dumber but far less experienced which means that they will do things that a big buck would never do simply because they haven't learn not to.. if they live long enough they will learn just the same and be just as hard to kill. But as a young buck they are far easier to fool and much easier to kill than an older deer.

The truth is if young bucks had the same experience as the older bucks there would be far fewer successful hunters in the woods..

Edited by nyantler

Probably true.. the key word here is "dumb".. they are not necessarily dumber but far less experienced which means that they will do things that a big buck would never do simply because they haven't learn not to.. if they live long enough they will learn just the same and be just as hard to kill. But as a young buck they are far easier to fool and much easier to kill than an older deer.

The truth is if young bucks had the same experience as the older bucks there would be far fewer successful hunters in the woods..

agreed. we're getting to hung up on the word dumb. Fact of the matter is younger deer are less experienced and prone to make mistakes. I had a bb look right at me last night. I actually reached for the gun hanging in the tree while he was watching and he didn't so much as startle. I would never have gotten away with that with a mature buck or doe.

They might not be "dumb", but just like with humans we use the term "dumb kids" because they just haven't had the experience yet that an older animal has had to learn from.