3,000 deer on LI in federal sharpshooters' sights this winter

the blur

That's me Mr.Anti-Hunter!

My point is this.  If they allowed hunters access to the area's they complain about this would not be needed and to take two deer off a public land area where the population is low will not affect the area's they are complaining about.  But OK believe what you want. 

Again you both fail to realize the area I hunt in has no issue with population control because we keep it covered with all the hunters in this small area.  But keep believing the media that the population is out of control...  And those 2 I let go are not going to cause a population boom in THIS area...

But yea it all my fault lol.  OK.  Read between the lines guys.  They want the population eliminated.  Justify killing more by saying they are overpopulated.  Then we can kill more after the season is over and we announce the population is too high.  Good justification, at least in there eyes.

Sorry if this is too much for you to read Doe, I will try to keep my replies short as your attention span seems low. 

.  Read between the lines guys.  They want the population eliminated.  Justify killing more by saying they are overpopulated.  

Very few non-hunters, and even few hunters would be crying on LI if all the deer did get killed.  Deer quite honestly don't belong in most of the areas on LI.  Other than on the far east end, LI is nowhere near great habitat for large mammals like deer.  They are a nuisance more than anything else.  The state and the people living on LI are more concerned with them being a nuisance than about you and other hunters having a huntable population.  You need to start understanding this.  In a suburban type environment like LI, the LAST thing on the minds of it's residents is to keep a population of deer available for you to hunt.

• Like 1

Steve863, much of what you say is wrong.  Have you ever been to Suffolk County?  There is quite a bit of land out there that is undeveloped woods.  Maybe though what you read you think that the whole county is suburbs with deer running around in between houses.  Not the case.   Also, a lot of this undeveloped land has been preseved by State and County and allows for good opportunity to state and county resident hunters.  These woods will not be developed and will allow for hunting for many years to come. 

As far as deer as a nuissance, you are somewhat right.   There are farms and residential areas which are impacted by high deer populations and the DEC is trying to do what they can to eliminate the issues in these areas.  They are not looking at it as a way to help hunters.  They are using hunters to get rid of the deer.  You are wrong in saying that the DEC does not care about providing a reasonable hunting experience for Long Islanders.  They do.  The folks I've spoken to over the years never gave me an impression otherwise.

I could be wrong but you seem to have a lousy view of Long Island and the hunters here. Born and raised here and trust me, a lot of times i feel that way myself.  But be careful, you;d be surprised at how sharp some of the dudes here can be.   Sorry if I am wrong, but its just the way you come off sometimes.

Very few non-hunters, and even few hunters would be crying on LI if all the deer did get killed. Deer quite honestly don't belong in most of the areas on LI. Other than on the far east end, LI is nowhere near great habitat for large mammals like deer. They are a nuisance more than anything else. The state and the people living on LI are more concerned with them being a nuisance than about you and other hunters having a huntable population. You need to start understanding this. In a suburban type environment like LI, the LAST thing on the minds of it's residents is to keep a population of deer available for you to hunt.

This is exactly why people who are not from here should have absolutley no say in what goes on here.

You are grossly misinformed about the current situation and Long Island not being great/ideal habitat for the whitetail deer.Please refrain from making assinine comments unless you care to gather some information so you may speak intelligently abouth the current situation here.

Another thing, regarding habitat, again I think you are off.  The habitat is fine for deer. Its part of the reason for the large populations.  Want to talk about poor deer habitat?  How about the Adirondacks and sections of the Catskills.  Great hunting experience, but poor habitat.  Island is reversed.

I can't speak for all hunters on Long Island, but for me, I wasn't born to live here.  Its just where I was born and where my family is.  Trust me, I'd prefer to live off the grid somewhere.  For many of us long islanders, hunting out here is what we have, so we make the best of it.

Keep the personal attacks coming.

O Come on, give me a brake.  Relax, I am sorry but you two seem to comment on things you think you know about and then make a statement like the one below. 

Very few non-hunters, and even few hunters would be crying on LI if all the deer did get killed.  Deer quite honestly don't belong in most of the areas on LI.  Other than on the far east end, LI is nowhere near great habitat for large mammals like deer.  They are a nuisance more than anything else.  The state and the people living on LI are more concerned with them being a nuisance than about you and other hunters having a huntable population.  You need to start understanding this.  In a suburban type environment like LI, the LAST thing on the minds of it's residents is to keep a population of deer available for you to hunt.

Your ignorance must be bliss. 

1) If all the deer where killed many people would be happy until they discovered Lyme is here to stay, deer or no deer.  Then they would wonder why they killed them all.  That's right my poor helpless car and all those deer that charge it all the time, silly me.

2)"LI is nowhere near great habitat for large mammals like deer."  This has to be the best line from you yet.  We only produced the number one buck in the state for bow non typical.  You have no clue about LI so please stop talking about it like you DO know.  Our mature deer are in the 140-170+ range depending on genes and age but food is abundant on LI and host large mammals like deer even on remote islands like Fire Island, Block Island and Shelter Island.

I could go on but that's enough for today and your reply's are very informative about your disillusions on LI people and deer population. 

Sorry Doewhacker I though you could take a jab, I will tone it down.  But like some here have said to me, put on your shades, it is the internet after all.  Don't take it so personal.  No disrespect meant.  I get a little overzealous when people talk about eliminating deer, like I have said before some see them as pest to be eliminated.  This is probably why we argue so much, I just have the opposite view of deer and see them as the true majestic beast they are.  I am done here.    

I was shocked to find out that deer spread Lyme's Disease, all along I thought it was those pesky ticks, that must explain why after all the hunting I do on L.I. and all the ticks I've been exposed to, I've yet to contract it.........I guess if I ever get bit by a deer I should definitely go get tested for it.

Edited by jjb4900

Making any sort of statement here is like swatting a hornets nets.  And then the clowns come a buzzin. LOL 

I love how some of you think that I've never stepped foot on LI.  I've posted these videos before a couple years back.  This was a gentle stroll on Fire Island with my wife and brother on a couple of weekend mornings about 10 years ago now.  I brought along a tripod and my video camera because I knew I'd easily find and see deer.  Here are the results.  Now go ahead and tell me this is a natural environment for deer?  I could have practically grabbed a number of these bucks by their antlers. They had absolutely NO fear of man.  Just go ahead and try to find a scene like this as easily and quickly in a REAL natural deer environment elsewhere.  In many places on LI it's like a petting zoo.  You boys really need to stop with your accusations and nonsense because some of us may understand the situation better than you.  You guys simply try to justify things in the way you WISH things were on LI.  

• Like 1

Not a natural environment, OK.  LMAO   

So unnatural that they thrive.  LOL

PS:  When you took this video deer where allowed to be feed.  No so anymore.  New law in NYS NO feeding the deer. 

Any other information on LI that you can give to us is appreciated.  Tell me more about how bad our environment is for deer.

Not a natural environment, OK.  LMAO   

So unnatural that they thrive.  LOL

PS:  When you took this video deer where allowed to be feed.  No so anymore.  New law in NYS NO feeding the deer. 

Any other information on LI that you can give to us is appreciated.  Tell me more about how bad our environment is for deer.

Is that the best reply you could come up with??  That to you is "thriving", where you can practically club them over the head??  Why don't you post some actual first hand proof of what you believe to be true on LI as I just did?  I know you can't.   

Also, I can vividly remember one of your essays on how hunting in your beloved Adirondacks is so much more a REAL hunt, compared to places like LI, and now you are changing your tune and trying to make LI out to be this mecca for the deer species?   Unbelievable!

• Like 1

I Love all deer, no just the ADK deer.  But hunting the ADK vs LI are two different worlds.  Both are hunting, just because I love deep woods hunting takes nothing away from the deer that inhabit LI.  Two different subjects but OK. 

And yes in so far as population the ADK is the exact opposite of LI.  Horrible habitat vs excellent habitat.  I though you read that 2 pages ago... 

Just because I love deep woods hunting does not mean I hate LI deer but OK great analogy.  And I never said LI is not real hunting just different.  But OK I see how you want to twist my words. 

Any more thoughts?

I Love all deer, no just the ADK deer.  But hunting the ADK vs LI are two different worlds.  Both are hunting, just because I love deep woods hunting takes nothing away from the deer that inhabit LI.  Two different subjects but OK. 

And yes in so far as population the ADK is the exact opposite of LI.  Horrible habitat vs excellent habitat.  I though you read that 2 pages ago... 

Just because I love deep woods hunting does not mean I hate LI deer but OK great analogy.  And I never said LI is not real hunting just different.  But OK I see how you want to twist my words. 

Any more thoughts?

What about when you said this?

"I am sorry I pissed off so many unsuccessful hunters in the southern zone... 90 %

Let me guese you did not get a deer last year? I have guys who whack over 6-12 deer a year down in the southern zone. They claim they can hit them over the head with a hammer... Tough hunting... But if you can not find and kill one well you need to take a hunting course then... Join a seminar... Learn more about what you are doing and scout some more and you will have better success. Don't be pissed off at me just because you are lazy and can not pattern a single deer... Make your own success..."

I guess times have changed for you, you once looked down your nose at LI and the SZ and now its different.

• Like 1

OK twist it some more why don't you.  Just because I think hunting a remote wilderness area with less than one deer per square mile is harder than hunting urban environments from a treestand?  Love how you twist it...

Love how you go from a deer cull on LI to saying I think all LI and Southern zone deer hunting is no good.  Guess I should not go back to Roscoe, Prattsville, Long Eddy, Port Jervis, Westchester or anything south, Western NY or hunt LI. 

You logic is perfect for you.

So as long as the cull only happens where you don't hunt its fine.  OK 

Say this out loud:  All deer populations should be controlled by Government snipers.  Seems to be your method for deer control.  Try to encourage your local authorities to get this done.  After all it is the best way as you and your buddy have stated, even in your area's.  RIGHT?  Because according to the locals where you DONT hunt they say you are not doing enough... 

I am done with you and your irrational logic.  You have no clue about long island or its people and the deer which is what this subject is about.   What did your video prove and what do you want me to prove with a video?   

I can see you base your opinion on some sighting from 10 years ago on Fire Island where this cull is not happening.  Great way to get a good outlook on what is actually happening on Long Island where the cull is actually taking place.

Tell me more how I hate Southern zone hunting. 

PS:  That reference you are trying to point out was directed at a few individuals and I went on a tangent on that post, it happens.  Wonder if Doe had anything to do with it.  LOL   But sure go ahead and take it out of context some more why don't you.  Tell me again why LI is such a bad habitat for large mammals that is causes populations to explode and needs to be controlled. LMAO!

O wait this is doe, are you brothers? 

Your logic is baffling to me especially as hunters.  But OK go ahead and encourage snipers, O Wait UNLESS they come to your area.  My bad I forgot you said you can control the population.  Well we can too... 

I don't know why I bother with you two.  O yea I love deer...  And you just see them as pest that need control.

Edited by NFA-ADK

Diareaha   LOL 

Doewhacker we can control the population if they allow us to hunt the area's they need population control.  Do you really think the urban area's are going to have snipers running around at night?  No they will do this on farms and state land where they can actually shoot the guns.  Wake up.

Tell me again why LI is such a bad habitat for large mammals that is causes populations to explode and needs to be controlled. LMAO!

My goodness, and you are telling us that we don't get it?  Deer are opportunist, just like many animals are.  Without predators, with limited hunter access, and with just enough cover and food they find in peoples gardens they will surely multiply WAY quicker than they would in other more natural settings. Is this the ideal environment for deer, let alone the people who have to deal with them?  Absolutely NOT.  Them multiplying rapidly does not equate to a great habitat for them.  You can believe whatever the hell you want, though.  I have more important things to do than arguing with you.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

The deer that live in most huntable areas on long island are completely different from the ones on fire island and a few of the unhuntable parks or heavily suburban areas. No way near as tame. For normal guys with normal access, shooting a big buck on the island is still very difficult. Steve, if you think otherwise you are simply wrong.

You using robert moses park as a means to describe deer behavior on long island is frankly laughable to those of use who hunt here.

• Like 1

The deer that live in most huntable areas on long island are completely different from the ones on fire island and a few of the unhuntable parks or heavily suburban areas. No way near as tame. For normal guys with normal access, shooting a big buck on the island is still very difficult. Steve, if you think otherwise you are simply wrong.

You using robert moses park as a means to describe deer behavior on long island is frankly laughable to those of use who hunt here.

Look, I've hunted long enough to know that hunting is NOT a slam dunk anywhere.  When you want deer to show up, they very well may not.  That is not the argument here.  The argument is whether a suburban environment is a natural environment for deer.  It surely is not.  The Catskills and Adirondacks may not hold many deer, but guess what?  It surely is a more natural environment for them, than the LI suburbs are.  In fact the big woods replicate what most of the northeast was before the white man settled on this land.  So you can continue to believe whatever you want, but you guys surely won't convince me that LI is ideal habitat for deer.

Diareaha LOL

Doewhacker we can control the population if they allow us to hunt the area's they need population control. Do you really think the urban area's are going to have snipers running around at night? No they will do this on farms and state land where they can actually shoot the guns. Wake up.

The farms already have kill permits ding dong, just ask Shawnhu how many they racked up where he was.

It would be done over bait in an area that required it. And would you like a law requiring hunting where no one wants it?

I hear it's so easy there you can hit them with a hammer and kill a dozen unless of course you suck at hunting.

I hear it's so easy there you can hit them with a hammer and kill a dozen unless of course you suck at hunting.

Hey go easy there bud, a lot of jump and run gunning on LI. We see a lot but don't always connect, well I guess you can say that about camp also……….. :fie: