3,000 deer on LI in federal sharpshooters' sights this winter

the blur

Sometimes bait & shoot is the best option.

They used to do a "Bait and Shoot" in Irondequoit with off duty police officers . It was costing the town a lot of money . They started a program to let bow hunters shoot the deer and that program has been in effect for several years now , saving the town quite a bit of money .

When Xerox was laying off quite a few people years ago , someone was going around the office saying ," they are are giving away free coffee and donuts in the cafeteria but don't go , it's a bait and shoot" !

and here I am trying to fill my freezer with tags. they better toss me a few deer cause I would GLADLY come sit on a property out there to bag me some deer.

been out to brookhaven once to scout and once to hunt and didnt do well so moved up to Westchester and sterling forest. this is ridiculous to spend on what can be done for free

Just to provide some sort of context to the 3000 figure, dec states that in 2012 hunters took about 2600 deer. And from research I did on LI deer management I recall that nuissance tags account for at least that many deer (2500) most yrs. I recall 2900 a couple years ago.

As far as changing to 150 feet, it would help. As much as I don't want to hunt close to a house, for the obvious reasons, I do for others. Like being able to dump your wind into houses. And it opens up funnels that were previously too close to houses.

and here I am trying to fill my freezer with tags. they better toss me a few deer cause I would GLADLY come sit on a property out there to bag me some deer.

been out to brookhaven once to scout and once to hunt and didnt do well so moved up to Westchester and sterling forest. this is ridiculous to spend on what can be done for free

It is already being hunted, yet hunters aren't making much of a dent.  You can extend the seasons, but you can't let private landowners allow hunters on their land if they don't want to.  So extended seasons wouldn't help.  Plus, you have to remember that many of the hunters who are hunting the island already, are out there looking for one of the big bucks that roam there.  Good luck convincing any of these hunters to put aside their trophy hunting time to help cull the herd.  Won't happen.  Even those who do take a buck early in the season can get plenty of doe tags afterwards, yet few go out again just for the sake of reducing the herd if they don't need the meat themselves.  Even the sharpshooters may not make much of a dent, but surely will make more of a dent than sport hunters on LI where access to private land is the main problem.

• Like 2

The east end of LI is loaded with farms, and ticks.   The deer eat all the grapes.  Wineries put up fencing around the grapes vines.   Deer wreck cars on a daily basis.   Lyme disease is rampant.   Deer are not so cute out east.  People are Bambi haters.   They call them lawn rats, or yard rats.

But when you want to hunt there property, and there house is 100' from the next house,  there are too many problems.  No one wants to relax the rules.  They rather call in a gov't agency to cull the population.

Why they don't allow year round bow hunting is beyond me.   Instead they will hold town meetings, to talk about deer, and Lyme disease.

They used to do a "Bait and Shoot" in Irondequoit with off duty police officers . It was costing the town a lot of money . They started a program to let bow hunters shoot the deer and that program has been in effect for several years now , saving the town quite a bit of money .

When Xerox was laying off quite a few people years ago , someone was going around the office saying ," they are are giving away free coffee and donuts in the cafeteria but don't go , it's a bait and shoot" !

They did it for many years in Amherst and surrounding towns. I'm sure it was quite expensive considering salaries for full time police officers that did nothing but bait & shoot for months, firearms with silencers, night vision equipment, ATV's and other gear including cold weather dudes.  Oh yea, and bait!

It was an effective way to lower the numbers fast and with as little interruption to daily routines of the residents.  They were heavily insured in case of a problem and they did have one that I am familiar with.

Now that numbers are down, archers could certainly help control the population but as of now that hasn't happened anywhere in our section of NYS.  I'm sure the sharpshooters lowered the numbers in Irondequoit and hopefully the archers are doing their job to maintain a sustainable level of deer.

Talk to me about the free donuts & coffee, where & when?

Lyme disease is rampant.  

That's just it.  It's probably MORE rampant than anyone will actually tell you.  Sending sharpshooters to kill deer is a much quicker solution, than having hunters hunt year around and struggle to find private land to even hunt on.  Sharpshooters have the advantage of hunting at night, where they could find concentrations of deer, and put down a whole bunch within minutes.  I'm sure they'd be allowed to drop them anywhere they might spot them, too,  as long as it's a safe shot.  A bowhunter is lucky to get one clean shot in several days of hunting, so there is really NO comparison whatsoever between which method would be more effective.

That's just it. It's probably MORE rampant than anyone will actually tell you. Sending sharpshooters to kill deer is a much quicker solution, than having hunters hunt year around and struggle to find private land to even hunt on. Sharpshooters have the advantage of hunting at night, where they could find concentrations of deer, and put down a whole bunch within minutes. I'm sure they'd be allowed to drop them anywhere they might spot them, too, as long as it's a safe shot. A bowhunter is lucky to get one clean shot in several days of hunting, so there is really NO comparison whatsoever between which method would be more effective.

Difference is bait. They can us it and hunt at night. I get the night hing. But if they can bait in a stae that doesnt allow it for crap reasons everyone should

I agree.. there never seems to be anything to substantiate the insurance industry theory. I would however believe that car-deer collisions may have an influence on the importance of population control, but farther than that I don't believe so.

Do you think the Insurance Companies hire lobbyists to persuade the DEC?  Naww.........

Do you think the DEC looks at the numbers that the Insurance Industry provides regarding the amount of money they spend on deer/car/motorcycle/bus/tractor trailer/bicycle etc?  Naww.........

THEN, take into account the amount of deer/car/motorcycle/bus/tractor trailer/bicycle etc. collisions that go unreported. You think the DEC (and they are VERY good at estimating) doesn't take that into account?  Naww.....

So many factors that must go into deer management that it's mind boggling............Bait & shoot can get it done efficiently and relatively safely.   

Then why not do an experiment(like with crossbows) and allow the hunters to bait in shoot in high density areas ...requiring a earn a buck system...then calculate the results

Make it an additional license even to generate revenue that goes toward deer cleqnup or somethin. Bait Lux nce and u have to take 3 does over bait before a buck. And only have x amount availabe per wmu.