3,000 deer on LI in federal sharpshooters' sights this winter

the blur

You mean AFTER the sharpshooters, right?

Gosh..... I suppose a consideration as to where they pulled these so called "Sharpshooters" from........ would have to be known  before that's answered... ;)

I mean it's gov....ie...look at the very recent hiring a gov. did of a signer for the Mandela memorial...you know...the one that didn't know how to sign but stood there wiggling his fingers.....

Gosh..... I suppose a consideration as to where they pulled these so called "Sharpshooters" from........ would have to be known  before that's answered... ;)

I mean it's gov....ie...look at the very recent hiring a gov. did of a signer for the Mandela memorial...you know...the one that didn't know how to sign but stood there wiggling his fingers.....

The guys that were the "sharpshooter" here in Amherst were the cream of the crop in the PD.  If there WAS a errant shot, who's insurance would you rather rely on, a gov insured employee or some yahoo that got hired for the "sharpshooter" job off the street?  :fie:

Paying snipers to cull deer is a horrible idea, the deer will not all be processed.  This would be a burden on the tax payers for something that can be done for free and is not a good long term solution.  Bow hunting in rural area's has been proven effective, cost efficient and economically profitable for the community.  Bow hunting is the best solution.   

Deer are not the only animals with ticks, mice are a huge factor.  HUGE!  Wonder how the snipers will do with them.  Next is fox, turkey, geese, squirrels, cats and dogs.  Sounds like the overpopulation is on the human side.  Funny how when more people move out east the more deer they want killed.  Killing 3000 deer will not fix the lyme disease problems.  They don't want them culled they want them removed thinking no lyme ticks will survive.  You think those snipers are going to pick up 3000 deer, yea right.  They will not donate the meat, great fix.   

So much for encouraging hunting, better to encourage poaching at night with bait, spotlights and snipers with silencers.  All the stuff no one is allowed to do on LI.  But wait we need to kill some deer so lets just allow it?  Wonder what the charges would be:  Baiting, spotlighting, shooting from the back of a truck, lol OMG, shooting at night, night vision goggles, silencer and a 30 round clip and it looks like life.  Where is the judge I need a ruling! 

Opening up more area's to bow hunters and the general public would allow for more deer to be taken and the best economically viable long term solution.  Deer taken would help, taxidermy, dinners, deli, gas stations etc. all helping the economy and utilizing the animal.  

Snipers baiting is horrible and I am shocked so many here see this as a viable solution.  How would you like it if this was your hunting area and 3000 extra doe where slaughtered?  To compare this majestic beast with a rat is unimaginable to me.  But I see deer in a much brighter light than many, shame they can not see the survivors that whitetail deer are.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, shame so many see so little value in the life of this majestic beast.  Shame on any town that treats this animal with such distain.   

• Like 1

Face it most guys are out for the big buck. That goes at gun season also. Guys are passing on real decent bucks looking for something bigger, they are out there. Needs to be a law put in place where 1) you can hunt over bait 2) you need to shoot x amount of doe before you can take a buck 3) open up more areas to hunters 4)slightly longer season

Paying snipers to cull deer is a horrible idea, the deer will not all be processed.  This would be a burden on the tax payers for something that can be done for free and is not a good long term solution.  Bow hunting in rural area's has been proven effective, cost efficient and economically profitable for the community.  Bow hunting is the best solution.   

Sorry, but bow hunting alone ANYWHERE, does very little to significantly reduce herd numbers in a very overpopulated herd.  Bowhunters just don't take very many deer.  That's just the nature of bow hunting.  I would think most hunters would understand this.  And as SteveB has said, absolutely NO one here is addressing the recovery problem.  It would be nice if deer shot with bows would drop on the spot, but that's not what usually happens.  This is one HUGE reason I would never hunt in a suburban environment like LI.  I don't want to be knocking on someone's door three properties down to ask them to recover the deer that just dropped dead next to their backyard swing set.  Good luck with a scenario like that!!

• Like 1

Bow hunters don't take that many deer because they don't want to use up there tags to early...period....given the chance I'd shoot more doe during bow...but I'm saving the either or...and until Nov 1 I only have 2 doe tags...if one is for camp(hard to come by) that is gun season use the other early and even though here I draw 2 more Nov1...what if it doesn't happen? then all I have is a buck tag in gun....So I don't believe your correct in your thinking ...because the DEC has sort of tied our hands on doe takes

(sp)

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

How many deer get taken by bow in NYS compared to gun?  Very few, and you can't say that it's because of lack of tags.  The true reasons are a) success rates with bow are much lower.   b  ) Not nearly as many bowhunters out there as gun hunters.  I don't think the DEC is tying anyones hands.  In overpopulated areas like LI people can get plenty of doe tags, yet the deer don't get taken for the reasons above and a few others that have already been mentioned by others.   LI is NOTHING like areas in upstate.  I think if people actually saw the lay of the land out there, they would realize that the sharpshooters might be the best option to put a significant dent in the herd.  I don't think we need to get into the drama of "oh how can we let sharpshooters kill those majestic deer" and stuff like that.  No one likes the idea of a cull, but why can't we just face reality for at least a minute here??  

Edited by steve863

First off anyone who bow hunts there can tell you there are hoards of bow hunters. Since it is bow only out there, a lot of people pick up the bow and hunt out there exclusively. Secondly these shooters are going to be shooting out in the farm fields not in backyards. I don't care who they are there not using a rifle in subdivisions. (Bow hunters could do that) if there was a program set up that I could shoot unlimited does without having to turn in their head (check station is 40 miles from me) then have somewhere close set up to receive the donated deer. I would gladly kill 10+ does a season.

1. Hunter/landowner program paid for by hunters wishing to participate

2. 2 does before a buck

3. And or 5 does a season to participate following year. (Reimplement earn a buck now with five does)

4. Eliminate having to check in does to get another tag, set up legitimate venison donation program.

5. Extend shotgun season entire month of jan including weekends.

6. Open up county parks & town land to bow hunters

This wouldn't cost taxpayers 300k plus. Long term solution to controlling deer herd.

• Like 1

Want an honest answer to that?... because few ppl trust that the Gov. is capable of correctly executing most plans they come up with......We all KNOW that the price tag put on such operations is foolishly too high....

Yeah, that's the usual answer you'll get on websites such as this one.  LOL  The reality is that properties on LI are small, and you can't force people to allow hunters on their land if they don't want to.  Would you like the terrible government to tell you that you CAN'T hunt on your land???  Probably not, so why tell others what to do with their land?    Why keep thinking that sport hunters alone can control the deer numbers when it's not currently happening, nor is there anything significant that could be done to actually get hunters to kill more deer.  Most hunters spend only limited time hunting, so why would anyone think they'd all go out just to help cull the herds?  Sharpshooters could kill them at night, on the sides of the road, take out a small herds within seconds, anything would be fair game for them.  To me at least it not hard to understand how sports hunters could never be as effective.

6. Open up county parks & town land to bow hunters This wouldn't cost taxpayers 300k plus. Long term solution to controlling deer herd.

You want to make a bet it wouldn't cost more than $300K in police overtime to be present at all the protests at these county parks if you opened them all up to hunting??  How about the time and money wasted on lawsuits to stop the hunts?  Hiring a few good snipers would be a steal compared to all that.

Let me ask this...it stated that there really wasn't a whole lot of opposition to this plan....so when the public meetings happen why not pipe up and say hey...this is happening because of a lack of access...here is a sign up sheet....put down your name as a willing land owner ...allowing a drop of the 500ft rule near your property during bow....... recovery rights......... give times and exceptable dates...why let the government take total control...shooting at night with SILENCERS...that really sounds safe...who's picking up all these dead deer and when?

I have talked about this before...all the crying but has ANYONE including the DEC gone into such areas and put out a reasonable plan for bow hunters? Have bow hunters whom show pics of deer munching in the back yard gone to neighbors?

Edited by growalot

I have talked about this before...all the crying but has ANYONE including the DEC gone into such areas and put out a reasonable plan for bow hunters?

Probably not.  Why?  Because it takes a good deal of money to draw up a plan and debate this stuff back and forth.  Probably MORE money than it would take to hire snipers for a couple of weeks to get the job done more effectively.

Probably not. Why? Because it takes a good deal of money to draw up a plan and debate this stuff back and forth. Probably MORE money than it would take to hire snipers for a couple of weeks to get the job done more effectively.

What money. Thay already have the meetings. But u dont hear about em till after they happen. I call and leave messages and no one geys back to me. Spending money is easir than doing it the hard way

Want a plan. If u have deer who show up on ur property regularly post on ur facebok and get ur neighbors within 100 yrds to agree to let someone recovr deer.

Make me a nice cup of cofee in the am at about 10 when im done. Will only see me on saturdays and sunday mornin if u get up early enough

Want a plan. If u have deer who show up on ur property regularly post on ur facebok and get ur neighbors within 100 yrds to agree to let someone recovr deer.

Make me a nice cup of cofee in the am at about 10 when im done. Will only see me on saturdays and sunday mornin if u get up early enough

Yeah, it's a plan, but do you want to be the hunter who has the whole neighborhoods eyes gawking at him when you go over to recover that deer?  Maybe you don't mind, but I know for a fact that there are plenty of hunters who would never subject themselves to this, me included.  I somehow highly doubt that these hunters will be looked at as heroes by the onlookers in a place like LI, so it will do nothing to enhance our image in the long run.  Sharpshooters, on the other hand will be looked at as a necessary evil, and for the most part might get the job done by the cover of darkness, so very few will have to witness any of it.

Nothin to do wth heroes and villians. And whos gawkin. If u limit the hours to early mornin most people will be in bed. Im sure towns can use that half a mill to provide more servicws to residents that make sense and more would appreciate that over payin a federal sharpshooter flown in from washington on overtime.

The biggest problems are in the residential areas, how are you going to get people to allow hunters if they are dead set against it??  That's the big question here.  The property owners may be wrong in their thinking, but good luck trying to convince them to think like you. You can have 10,000 hunters ready and able to cull the herd, but it ain't worth a hill of beans if no one will let you hunt.  Should government then make people allow hunters on their land?? How would that be different than you guys wanting government out of your lives??  Just way too many issues you guys are neglecting to look at here.

• Like 2

The biggest problems are in the residential areas, how are you going to get people to allow hunters if they are dead set against it??  That's the big question here.  The property owners may be wrong in their thinking, but good luck trying to convince them to think like you. You can have 10,000 hunters ready and able to cull the herd, but it ain't worth a hill of beans if no one will let you hunt.  Should government then make people allow hunters on their land?? How would that be different than you guys wanting government out of your lives??  Just way too many issues you guys are neglecting to look at here.

Here's my feeling about landowners that do not allow hunting. Let the suckers rot in their own situations of their own doing. Let the critters eat all of their expensive shrubs. Let all of those plantings look stupid with half of one side of them being eaten away and the other half rubbed to death. Let the bucks rub on their pricey ornamental trees until they kill them. laugh in their faces when they cry and complain about the damage, or their wrecked Lexus that's got deer hair, blood and feces smeared into the bent folds of impact. I don't have a single bit of sympathy for any one of them, and they should get exactly what they deserve until they come crawling to hunters begging us to hunt their property. And you know what? .... even at that point I will laugh in their faces and tell them no.

• Like 1