Back tags?

Lawdwaz

What's the big deal??

You have it on your pack?  Not correct.  It's supposed to be on your back, all the time.  You leave your pack on all the time?

Occasionally I switch coats, sometimes it rains and I have a rain suit on.  Sometimes I go through heavy brush and stand a chance of losing it.

As far as using binos to get a poachers back tag number your dreaming.

Really now, why do we wear a back tag?

I have mine on my backpack as well because it is usually on my back unless Im in the tree stand, then my backpack is hanging from the stand or tree and you can see it. I will put it on whatever jacket I am wearing to go small game hunting though.

Same here . When I am moving to / from a stand location my tag is visible . If it's on my shirt / jacket and I am wearing a backpack it is NOT visible .

Poachers ? Who mentioned Poachers ?

My tag is always visible in a Blaze Orange Tag Holder ..........

Sorry fasteddie, I meant trespassers. 

Ever hunt out of a climber?  You must hang your tag on that also when traveling.

All I'm saying is it's a hassle we don't need.  It's way to small for anyone to EVER read for gathering any pertinent information at any distance.

I hunt out of a climber all the time. I strap my backpack to it, so you can see the back tag. Doenst just about every state make you wear a back tag? Im pretty sure you have to have it on so ENCON can see it from a distance.

No, most states do not require it.

I know for sure Alaska,  Colorado, Wyoming, Texas and Alabama don't from past experience. 

I am very conscious of checking the tag to make sure that the material that it is pinned through is substantial and that the pin is hooked up properly and I have had no problems with it. I also put a strip of duct tape across the access slot in the tag-holder. Since I have been wearing a back tag for 50+ years without losing it, I guess I would consider it to be a non-problem. I do think it could be extremely useful in identifying trespassers without any unnecesary confrontation demanding ID. Also, I can see where it might be useful in identifying poachers. Maybe you can, maybe you can't. One thing is for sure ...... No back tag, no ID.

Doc

• Like 1

Page 16

Back Tags --- Must be visibly displayed on the middle of your back while hunting except in the znorthern Zone and Catskill Park .

Now that would be interesting to see what the rationale is behind those exceptions. Isn't it nice to have consistancies in the laws across the state? What a place!

Doc

I made 3 copies and have them on my backpack for hunting and 1 on each of my spin fishing box and fly box. I keep the total licence in my walet locked in the car. I have fell in the beaverkill and then everything, I also lost the back tag in my coat one time so that how I resolve the issue. I have a lifetime lic, so if stopped I just ask them to walk to the car and see the safe, dry , documents to prove him I am...

I believe the law is there so the game warden can see it from afar and not have to get out of his car to check you.

That would explain why they don't need to wear them in the NZ and Catskill Park.

I once had a warden stop while trolling the back roads, cause he saw me holding a rifle in my back field.  I had taken my coat off cause it was warm and was unloading the rifle.  He walked 100 yards downhill to me and was pissed when I showed him my license.  "You're supposed to be wearing it on your back at all times!", he yelled as he walked back up to his car in a huff!

;)

I don't understand the whole exception in NZ and Catskills thing myself and this........"I believe the law is there so the game warden can see it from afar and not have to get out of his car to check you.

That would explain why they don't need to wear them in the NZ and Catskill Park." doesn't explain anything to me but just yesterday I was hunting the NZ with a buddy and he said to me "why the hell do you have your tag on? You don't need it in NZ?" My reply.......whats the difference? What really is the big deal about wearing them? As for switching it to whatever be it backpack or climber I do not. It's on my coat, when I get out of the tree and put my pack on I do not switch it to my pack. The law says it has to be visibly displayed on the middle of your back while hunting. If a game warden stopped me and busted my marbles over not having it on my pack or climber or whatever I'd have to fight that one, I mean come on...It's on my outer most layer of CLOTHING. I actually pin it high enough on my coat that when I do have my pack on it can be seen I at least have it. NO WAY am I spending the time to take it off my coat and put it on my pack then take it off my pack and put it back on my coat, It's there on my jacket and I'm legal as far as I'm concerned.

When I put my climbing stand on my back it rubs real hard on my back tag and could possibly disrupt the fastening system. 

When I bust brush, tracking wounded deer, scouting, driving etc. I run the risk of losing my back tag. 

When I switch coats, I need to poke some more holes in another garment. 

Silly, antiquated law that's time has passed.

The wardens can't drive around in their cars out back in the Catskills or the NZ.  Maybe that explains it better.

But years ago I was told it wasn't required in those areas because hunters often camp out in those areas for days and can't be expected to were the tag on their back all day.  But they can be expected to encounter a shootable deer all day.  Therefore, the law was made more lenient for those two out back zones were hunters camp out for the season.