Anyone ever use a scarecrow

Al Bundy

My hunting area is small and I have several unhappy neighbors. So... we are limited on how to hunt it.  The best place to be is within 100 ft of an angry neighbors place. We have tried to talk to him but that just wont work. not happening, never, period, end of story.  The deer travel along a hedge that is right by his place. So I was thinking of ideas how to move deer away from his house. One idea I had was to make a scarecrow of some sort on my land near where the deer travel. The theory being that the deer will see this, smell this and move in a different direction, toward where the guns are.

Anyone try something like this?

I posted on Archery Talk asking if anyone put a scarecrow in their stand while they were not there. I have a stand that is pretty out in the open overlooking a powerline and I thought if there was a scarecrow in it all the time the they would ignore me. The consensus was that deer are more afraid of movement and smell then they are of a human shaped object. I thought it was a good idea but never did try it.....It sure can't hurt.....

Deer get use to both the shape and the smell...

I have put old smelly boots in the garden to keep deer at bay..fenced mind you.... and have prints walking past them...a Battery operated radio would work for a while on a hard rock station( change in sounds) with one of those caution yellow blinking road lights..but they will get use to the light eventually...Clothe on trees  dipped in nasty cheap mens body oils...like DKY...lol...you just need to time it right and a plot close to where you want them...or fruit trees...watch the wind with smells..it could back fire on you with wind shifts

PS ....put one of these next to the neighbors border...I will tick him off enough checking it out...he'll scare the deer closer to you...

Edited by growalot

hang Ivory Soap from branches in that area...deer hate that soap for some reason...

although it may be easier to lure the deer to you than to scare them away from your neighbors...no telling which way they will run unless your property has something they want... maybe some food plots or creating some thick areas the deer will feel safe. good luck

• Like 1

I do have a small tractor I could drive there. I may think the noise of that though would scare the deer when I park it there. Its pretty loud. Soap may work. Shirts/pants something hanging from a branch sounds easier than a full blown scarecrow. Shopping bags may work, long as they are not white I would think. WHite bags flapping around could be bad.  Lots of good ideas here, simple and hopefully effective.

I used a scarecrow to mess with trespassers. ....... lol. Well, it wasn't exactly a scarecrow as such. It was more like an old worn-out red hunting jacket that was headed for the dump. I figured that if it were hung on a branch far enough inside my property line that they could only make out the red color, that would turn them back.

• 2 weeks later...