Stand with Phil

josephmrtn

of course he's free to say whatever he wants, but apparently not while he's employed by A&E............simple enough, when you sell your soul to the man, you gotta play by his rules. Imagine if you owned a business, and one of your employees gave his anti whatever rant to every customer who came in, I'm pretty sure you would cut him loose if it alienated a large percentage of you customer base, or even if he stood on the public sidewalk in front of your business after he was off work and did it..............because I'm sure some will say he can do whatever he wants once he's off the clock.

I agree, but I don't know if that is the case here. I haven't read his A&E contract but I am sure it has some wording that allows his dismissal if he threatens the shows ratings somehow. To date there is no evidence the ratings will drop, in fact it may turn out to be the opposite. Since people who never heard of these guys now know them well (like them or not). The bottom line is the fans of his show should decide if he stays on the air or not.

of course he's free to say whatever he wants, but apparently not while he's employed by A&E............simple enough, when you sell your soul to the man, you gotta play by his rules. Imagine if you owned a business, and one of your employees gave his anti whatever rant to every customer who came in, I'm pretty sure you would cut him loose if it alienated a large percentage of you customer base, or even if he stood on the public sidewalk in front of your business after he was off work and did it..............because I'm sure some will say he can do whatever he wants once he's off the clock.

Two points of distinction here, first off, you're right, if I had an employee who did that on the job they would be asked to stop and then fired if they continued the behavior AT WORK. Phil was being interviewed for a magazine article, not on the show. Second point is that A&E knew exactly how this guy felt and many feel that the show backfired on the producers who started the show in a Honey Boo-boo type model where people laugh AT the family as a bunch of hicks. When it turned wildly popular and people actually identified and laughed WITH the family, they had a problem with that. Did you know that A&E people were with Phil when he was interviewed and did nothing to stop the publication of the article? 

Please understand the facts, he was asked a question by GC magazine (fully knowing his response) and they published it in hopes of furthering GLADD"S agenda and attacking a common Christian view. Of course it didn't go the way they expected and GLADD is now trying to punish him for his opinions.

As the expression goes, "Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer". If you don't like what you are hearing, change the channel. Don't exert your will over others. One day it may be your opinion that someone doesn't like and they may go after you.

This is not a matter or right and wrong, but simply of free speech. You can deny it all you want.

you're missing the point entirely. how is this a free speech issue? Did the government shut him down? No, his employer did which they have every right to do. I still don't see the big deal.

• Like 1

you're missing the point entirely. how is this a free speech issue? Did the government shut him down? No, his employer did which they have every right to do. I still don't see the big deal.

you're exactly right, it has absolutely nothing to do with freedom of speech...........it's the same thing that happened to Charlie Sheen and nobody cried about that.

and before anyone bashes Charlie Sheen for his lifestyle, take a look at Phil's Bio...............he was a real winner.

Did have a very troubled time in his life but he seems to have turned things around. I will never get on anyone for failing or falling down. But lay there in self pity and refuse to TRY and pick yourself up and then there is an issue.

All said and done their $$$ will go up because of this. and I would bet you see Phil run for some sort of office in the next 4 years.

You are exactly right...the 1st amendment only protects from government retribution. It does not protect anyone from  the private right not to like what someone is saying.. a business being a private entity has the right to get rid of you for any reason they want unless it infringes on your civil rights

NY Antler you think that's the right theing even if you are away from work. Is there a line drawn anywhere?

It isn't about whether I like it or not that's the way it is... but yes I agree that if someone working for me was doing something or saying something off the clock on a regular basis that threatened my business.. they would be fired. I would not however fire someone that was asked a question and answered the question based on their truthful opinion.. even though I have every right to do so.. just not my style. I like when some has the conviction to say what he feels when asked... I don't always like when someone offers up their opinion when not asked for it.

• Like 1

The man exercised his God givin 1st amendment rights, God wrote the bill of rights correct. So the man exercised his 1st amendment right and the corporation "he worked for" exercised its right to fire him for running his mouth. After all doesn't every God fearing American conservative want corporations to have less regulation. No one was hurt here and no body's rights were trampled.