4 deer in 9 seconds

Uncle Nicky

The very first deer I shot at with a gun was running and I haven't done it since. The only deer I wounded with a bow was my first but luckily recovered and he was moving but not running. I've never since shot at any running deer. I get enough opportunities at easy doe kills to not need to, and id never forgive myself for wounding a nice buck with a bad shot.

Seems kind of lopsided...shouldn't that be any deer and not just a nice buck?

Wounding a deer with a bad shot will happen sooner or later as the law of averages creep up. If a hunter says he hasn't taken a bad shot a time or two in his "career" he's either not hunted long enough or he's lying to himself. Four deer with a bow is nothing. I've had more than four deer run longer than 50 yds with two lungs popped. I've also dropped deer with questionable shots. At the time my brain processed it, it was fine. Looking back, I learned from it.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Not bad shooting in my opinion, all 4 dead in 40 seconds. I bet there is not too many on here who can say the last 4 deer they shot died in 40 seconds or less! Especially anyone who flings arrows.The second shot was not the best angle but at that distance it looked like he hit about 8 inches farther back than he should of. The rest were all dead on.

I am not a big fan of the posting of the video as I think it serves no purpose but to seem like bragging.

If he utilized all the meat and had the tags good for him I say. I just would not post.

• Like 2

My position is if one takes a risky shot with a higher chance for the deer to get wounded, take off and never be found it is unethical.

Not sure if you were talking to me or not but I figured I'd chime in. I am not trying to stir the pot.

Every shot is risky. Look at the one you described because your scope was apparently off. There are so many factors involved in every shot, from the deer to the shooter and everything in between.

With a gun, a spine shot at that close of a range is high percentage. The deer will drop and give a chance for a quick follow up. That deer was dead in less than a minute.

I hit one square through both front shoulders this year. She was trotting across a field edge at about 50 yards, broadside. I would have taken the same shot if she was standing still. She went 75+ yards without the use of either front leg after the shot. I ended up having to make a follow up shot on her. Ive had many deer drop immediately with that same shot. For whatever reason, she didnt. Was my shot unethical?

I'm not saying it will never happen, but a hunter has to do everything they possibly can to ensure a clean quick kill.

And sometimes, it's not enough.

Perfection in hunting doesn't exist very often, let alone all of the time...the people here moaning about these great shots would cringe at shots taken by vaunted people like Fred Bear.

Yes, do what you can, in reason.

The problem is, everyone's definitions are different, yet we judge based on ours alone.

• Like 2

The very first deer I shot at with a gun was running and I haven't done it since. The only deer I wounded with a bow was my first but luckily recovered and he was moving but not running. I've never since shot at any running deer. I get enough opportunities at easy doe kills to not need to, and id never forgive myself for wounding a nice buck with a bad shot.

I wont take a shot at a moving deer with a bow, and I wont take a shot at a deer running full bore with either a gun or bow, but a walking deer or trotting deer with a gun, yep, Im taking it. Ive taken many deer that way over the years.

my point was there was no reason he needed to take that shot in the first place let alone go after other shots when that one was clearly not mortally wounded and only paralyzed. 

That deer would die. I haven't seen any paralyzed deer around. Have you?

• Like 1

There ya go. Wing shooting deer. You've got to get that lead just right (fore and aft and up and down) .... lol. But, what the heck, if you don't get them on the first shot, you still have 4 more in the magazine. That's probably what those 5-shot volleys that I hear every year are all about.

Was I supposed to be impressed by hunting "trick-shots"?  Sorry, I have no idea how many other times he has been blazing away with entirely different results. Ever wonder how many wounding failures a guy has to go through just to learn how to shoot at running deer? After all, there aren't a whole lot of different ways that you can practice shooting a target that is running full-tilt through the trees and bouncing up and down at the same time, other than just flinging lead until you get the knack of it.

• Like 3

I wont take a shot at a moving deer with a bow, and I wont take a shot at a deer running full bore with either a gun or bow, but a walking deer or trotting deer with a gun, yep, Im taking it. Ive taken many deer that way over the years.

A slow-walking (not even walking really, that slow gait they have) deer with a bow...that's a topic for discussion, lol.

I'm zipping my lips on that.

• Like 1

There ya go. Wing shooting deer. You've got to get that lead just right (fore and aft and up and down) .... lol. But, what the heck, if you don't get them on the first shot, you still have 4 more in the magazine. That's probably what those 5-shot volleys that I hear every year are all about.

Was I supposed to be impressed by hunting "trick-shots"?  Sorry, I have no idea how many other times he has been blazing away with entirely different results. Ever wonder how many wounding failures a guy has to go through just to learn how to shoot at running deer? After all, there aren't a whole lot of different ways that you can practice shooting a target that is running full-tilt through the trees and bouncing up and down at the same time.

Never heard of rolling tires downhill or pulleys?

• Like 1

I guess shooting flying birds or moving rabbits, coyotes, etc is unethical as well.

Or does this only count because it was deer?

I always wait for the rabbit and birds to stop what ever they are doing before I shoot them. I usually just ask politely for them to stand or sit so I can kill them and they comply.

Deer never answer me so I just shoot them anyway.

• Like 3

I guess shooting flying birds or moving rabbits, coyotes, etc is unethical as well.

Or does this only count because it was deer?

As I understand it, using buck-shot on running deer has been known to work ....... Just like shooting birds and rabbits. But then that isn't what we are talking here is it? We aren't using buck-shot are we? Perhaps if you were able to successfully knock down flying birds and running rabbits with a single projectile, I might go along with that comparison. And I am sure there a few, very, very, rare individuals that can do that regularly. Good for them.

• Like 2

I always wait for the rabbit and birds to stop what ever they are doing before I shoot them. I usually just ask politely for them to stand or sit so I can kill them and they comply.

Deer never answer me so I just shoot them anyway.

True story. First deer I ever killed was shot on a dead run at 75 yds and I went 3 for 3 hitting him on a gun I never shot before. I was a kid and the gun was handed to me short notice (night before) after an issue with mine popped up that couldn't be fixed right away. Double beaded 870 smoothbore. 

Shot 1...high and back...shot 2, entered between the ear and the pedicle and out the opposite ear. shot three...right in the chest cavity (probably not needed as it flipped ended over end three times from shot 2). I just needed to anchor him with that third shot or he was without a doubt, going to get away.

I'm not bragging though, I promise.

Later that day, I missed a doe three times at 30 yards. I kept killing the same sapling over and over and didn't know it.

Sometimes people make too much out of hypothetical ethical issues in which the world is a shade of gray. Very little is black and white.

All I know is that day hooked me on hunting forever. Big picture.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

As I understand it, using buck-shot on running deer has been known to work ....... Just like shooting birds and rabbits. But then that isn't what we are talking here is it? We aren't using buck-shot are we? Perhaps if you were able to successfully knock down flying birds and running rabbits with a single projectile, I might go along with that comparison. And I am sure there a few, very, very, rare individuals that can do that regularly. Good for them.

Using a slug on a moving deer works just fine. Ask the 4 in that video or the 3 moving does I put in the freezer this past season. BTW, I missed or wounded ZERO moving deer this year.

Generally when asked, I am quick to condemn running shots. That is not saying that they can't be made, but generally more people believe they can than there are those that actually can. A deer running through the woods is challenge enough if they were on a pulley and line, but they are also moving their kill zone up and down at the same time. And they are running between trees at the same time. Now I can be as gullible as the next guy occasionally, but really I lay success at that kind of recklessness more to good luck than good marksmanship.

• Like 1

Using a slug on a moving deer works just fine. Ask the 4 in that video or the 3 moving does I put in the freezer this past season. BTW, I missed or wounded ZERO moving deer this year.

Moving or running? There is a hell of a difference, isn't there?

By the way, reviewing the video, I did notice that there was only one (the second one) of the four that were actually seen to be running, and that was the one that he screwed up. The first one was just barely trotting (straight-line). The other two we have no idea what they were doing. If they were standing dead still, it wouldn't be the first time I have seen a group of deer do that after a shot.

• Like 1