4 deer in 9 seconds

Uncle Nicky

I grew up with people who hunted deer MOSTLY by driving...

If you couldn't hit a running deer, you didn't get much venison..

TRUE some deer were wounded and lost, but over my 50 years of deer hunting I have seen lots of deer wounded and lost by stand hunters and stillhunters as well.

There are LOTS of hunters out there who are perfectly capable of killing running deer, ESPECIALLY when they they as close as the  one in the video... The camera makes things  look farther away..he probably could have hit that deer with a slingshot.

My impression of that shot on the 2nd deer was that the guy was just doing what I call "body-shooting". That is just pointing at the center body crossing your fingers and hoping for something vital to be hit. Not exactly doing what we have all been taught ..... "picking a spot". The good news is that with the deer moving almost straight at him, and being almost straight down, the up and down running motion had no effect on the target. Also, the deer was very close. Still not a shot that I would have taken, but not as crazy as some of the running shots that I have heard people talk of. I think that hit was more good luck than good management since he accidentally paralyzed the deer and managed to anchor it there for a second shot.

I grew up with people who hunted deer MOSTLY by driving...

If you couldn't hit a running deer, you didn't get much venison..

TRUE some deer were wounded and lost, but over my 50 years of deer hunting I have seen lots of deer wounded and lost by stand hunters and stillhunters as well.

There are LOTS of hunters out there who are perfectly capable of killing running deer, ESPECIALLY when they they as close as the  one in the video... The camera makes things  look farther away..he probably could have hit that deer with a slingshot.

I never was much into drives, but I have participated in a couple. I also remember a lot of people who thought they could hit running deer. Many (most?) of them found out that they couldn't. And then there were the ones that could hit deer but not in lethal areas. We spent most of the rest of the day tracking those.

Also, over the years, I have gotten a lot more selective in my shot selection. I tend to take high percentage shots rather than hoping for divine intervention .... lol.

• Like 3

I also stopped watching the video after I saw the doe crawling around.  I wasn't impressed.

No Huntress..It ain't pretty...If it were MY video I would not show it for that reason...

But it happens... The shooter dispatched the doe promptly...

• Like 1

I never was much into drives, but I have participated in a couple. I also remember a lot of people who thought they could hit running deer. Many (most?) of them found out that they couldn't. And then there were the ones that could hit deer but not in lethal areas. We spent most of the rest of the day tracking those.

Also, over the years, I have gotten a lot more selective in my shot selection. I tend to take high percentage shots rather than hoping for divine intervention .... lol.

I do the same as you, Doc...

However, there are lots of hunters out there to whom a good running shot at reasonably close range IS a high percentage shot.

And he did.

Not really…He was more  concerned with stacking them up rather than clean kills. Thats why he didn't even pay attention to the first one he hit, to make sure it was out, took a crap shot at the second deer and immediately just started shooting at all the rest. Nothing illegal but IMHO a total loser move.

Edited by ants
  • Like 2

This, to me, is pretty much representative of many hunters who post on here:  Hunt from a high stand...and place the emphasis on the product...not the process.   I would suspect that the stand hunters here would find this A-OK......Genuine hunters may question it a bit.  So....you decide:  are you a deer hunter...or a deer killer??  That will determine how you view this.

Stand hunting is ambushing, not hunting.  The guy in this video was/is a stand hunter.  If you hunt from a stand, do not criticize what he is doing.  If, on the other hand, you wish to confront a deer on his own level and see this as something other than hunting....I agree!

I can already hear the squeals from the stand "hunters".  Say what you want...a person hidden in an elevated stand...a person who is not fit enough or not willing to walk to get a crack at a deer...is NOT a hunter.  He/she knows not what hunting means.  So....they will love this video.....Real hunters will NOT!

• Like 1

This, to me, is pretty much representative of many hunters who post on here:  Hunt from a high stand...and place the emphasis on the product...not the process.   I would suspect that the stand hunters here would find this A-OK......Genuine hunters may question it a bit.  So....you decide:  are you a deer hunter...or a deer killer??  That will determine how you view this.

Stand hunting is ambushing, not hunting.  The guy in this video was/is a stand hunter.  If you hunt from a stand, do not criticize what he is doing.  If, on the other hand, you wish to confront a deer on his own level and see this as something other than hunting....I agree!

I can already hear the squeals from the stand "hunters".  Say what you want...a person hidden in an elevated stand...a person who is not fit enough or not willing to walk to get a crack at a deer...is NOT a hunter.  He/she knows not what hunting means.  So....they will love this video.....Real hunters will NOT!

What if you do both? Half a Hunter? Silly.

Yeah....half a hunter sounds good!  Now prepare for all the whining of the stand hunters...especially those who hunt from enclosed, waterproof, heated, elevated stands.

I live on my second floor over my shop.....

Sounds like when I kill stuff out the bedroom window.

Can't use a semi-auto though, they fling brass everywhere and then you can get a case stuck in the vacuum.

not something that i would do... i focus on making that one shot count or at least concentrating on the deer enough to see if it goes down and needs another shot before i would move onto the next. my luck one would get up while im fixed on another deer and take off for the hills never to be seen again making me look like an idiot on camera BUT thats just me...

• Like 2