Governor Announces Support for Crossbows in NY

Tinlodge

From who I have spoke with in the past few weeks, I'm fairly confident that xbows will be legal this fall.

The DEC will move quick and I'm not hearing the level of rumbling necessary to remove the authority provision.

It's going to happen fast once the authority is granted to the DEC.

In 3-5 years, xbow will represent close to or more than 50% of the archery take. It's just going to be the way it is. Am I a full-on supporter? No. I'm a dreaded fence sitter. But, shall they make it legal, I'll likely buy one for use from time to time. I know it won't be my primary archery option, but there will be days I take it afield.

I have not idea and to be honest I am to lazy today to look it up...lol How are the participation number of states that have full inclusion after that amount of time.

is it going to be a legal hunting implement or just deer and bear....Wait...I don't want to be PO'd the rest of the day...never mind...

You know, I have yet to hear anyone talk about crossbows in small game season. I suspect everyone is assuming that small game is just a given. But I cannot tell you if small game is included in any of the proposals.

I could use an xbow in pa and nj, and I've tried it but I find the xbow heavy and awkward. I like shooting my short ata bow.That said I wish it was legal here so my dad and pop could hunt archery up here. I also see the benefits of new hunters starting out with an xbow on a shooting rail and moving up to compund bow hunting after getting used to getting deer into archery range and mastering good shot selection/placement.I think if you are against xbow than throw away your compound and hunt traditional only. Same goes for your fancy rifles, trade em for flintlock if you feel so strongly about tradition or fairness or whatever.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah yes, brilliant reply. It's the first I've heard that one. Lol. But the leap from a recurve to self drawn compound is one thing but the leap to a fully cocked, no draw required, pull the trigger, on a bipod with scope? Not exactly the same eh?
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW xD
Great contribution. Please continue to support Cuomo's bill.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah yes, brilliant reply. It's the first I've heard that one. Lol. But the leap from a recurve to self drawn compound is one thing but the leap to a fully cocked, no draw required, pull the trigger, on a bipod with scope? Not exactly the same eh?

Great contribution. Please continue to support Cuomo's bill. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
Inappropriate language. Keep it clean

Ah yes, brilliant reply. It's the first I've heard that one. Lol. But the leap from a recurve to self drawn compound is one thing but the leap to a fully cocked, no draw required, pull the trigger, on a bipod with scope? Not exactly the same eh?Great contribution. Please continue to support Cuomo's bill.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As the first quote in your post says I don't use crossbows even where legal but my older relatives do, and who are you to determine what leap is greater.

IMO once you go beyond stick and string or flintlock and ball it is not really a primitive weapon...either tradition or technology, IMO you don't get to have both. Plenty of guys filling lots of tags with long and recurve bows...if they have a beef with xbows I'll respect that a bit more.

Also am I to understand you think a crossbow is too accurate to be allowed? I prefer the challenge of a compound bow, but why limit a new hunter or older hunter or injured hunter from having the best chance at a successful recovery?

And that second quote is not mine...I believe it was so eloquently posted by greg51.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

As the first quote in your post says I don't use crossbows even where legal but my older relatives do, and who are you to determine what leap is greater.IMO once you go beyond stick and string or flintlock and ball it is not really a primitive weapon...either tradition or technology, IMO you don't get to have both. Plenty of guys filling lots of tags with long and recurve bows...if they have a beef with xbows I'll respect that a bit more.Also am I to understand you think a crossbow is too accurate to be allowed? I prefer the challenge of a compound bow, but why limit a new hunter or older hunter or injured hunter from having the best chance at a successful recovery?And that second quote is not mine...I believe it was so eloquently posted by greg51.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the debate. You've missed years of back and forth. Probably while you were shooting and loosing the many deer you "needed" this year. Had you been involved a while back you would know that most of us support the use of crossbows for elderly and handicapped. And who are you to determine which leap is not greater? You can piss and whine all day because your relatives and you are not allowed to use crossbows, but those that DO have a say have made it illegal and that's all that matters. I'm not wasting my time with your other questions as they've been answered a bizillion times already. But I'll remind you the it's not "primitive weapon" season here in NY. It's archery season so I could care less about your flintlock. And I'll leave you with this. It's not all about filling tags for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Belo

Welcome to the debate. You've missed years of back and forth. Probably while you were shooting and loosing the many deer you "needed" this year. Had you been involved a while back you would know that most of us support the use of crossbows for elderly and handicapped. And who are you to determine which leap is not greater? You can piss and whine all day because your relatives and you are not allowed to use crossbows, but those that DO have a say have made it illegal and that's all that matters. I'm not wasting my time with your other questions as they've been answered a bizillion times already. But I'll remind you the it's not "primitive weapon" season here in NY. It's archery season so I could care less about your flintlock. And I'll leave you with this. It's not all about filling tags for everyone.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry forgot who I was dealing with...not worth it.

17 harvested - 1 lost in the past 4 years, but I guess that's "loosing" a lot of deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

Hey Doc, remember that misinformation stuff I was talking about in the setback thread? There it is.....

Lol ..... Somehow I don't believe that it was Cuomo's support that tipped the scales for Belo. You might want to ask him, but I believe he's been fairly consistent on the crossbow controversy with or without Cuomo. And actually technically he's right. It is Cuomo's deal now. He has finagled ownership of it.

Belo has been against it all along, but now hes trying to use Cuomo to gain traction for his stance. Its not Cuomos idea, no matter how you try and spin it.

Why werent you complaining about the same exact thing last year? It was in the original budget, Cuomo said he supported it, the SAFE act was in place, yet not a peep from anyone until a couple of news outlets put their own editorial spin on the facts. Perfect example of misinformation making a mountain out of a mole hill.