Maple Syrup

jjb4900

Now come-on, there has to be something in that stuff that is terribly bad for you isn't there? Isn't it a scientific fact that everything that tastes good is bad for you? I once heard of a doctor saying that if it tastes good .... Spit it out! :nyam:

Now come-on, there has to be something in that stuff that is terribly bad for you isn't there? Isn't it a scientific fact that everything that tastes good is bad for you? I once heard of a doctor saying that if it tastes good .... Spit it out! :nyam:

Here is a link for your viewing pleasure.  Its actually better for you than you might think.  There is also studies that have been done relating Pure Maple Syrup as a benefit to diabetics as well. 

http://www.internationalmaplesyrupinstitute.com/projects.html

Many sugars are having open house this weekend.  One nearby me is having live music.

Indeed they are. Just be aware that most will be just boiling straight water due to the weather and no sap.  There has been a bit of a panick from some to supply there shelves for syrup sales since its such a late start to the season.  Still very enjoyable to attend, lots are having pancake breakfasts as well, lots of stuff to taste like maple sugar, sugar on snow, maple suckers, maple mustards, maple BBQ sauces, Maple cotton candy, Maple snow cones, Maple candy, a whole bunch more and of course Pure Maple Syrup.  If you get to one making lunches by chance ask if they have any maple sap dogs.  Your in for a real treat if they do!  Unfortunately for me I will not be open as there is no sap and I have been sold out of syrup for a couple months.  Taps are going in tomorrow though. We are usually nearing the end of the season this time of year.  A lot of worried sugarmakers out there right now including me.

Here is a link for your viewing pleasure.  Its actually better for you than you might think.  There is also studies that have been done relating Pure Maple Syrup as a benefit to diabetics as well. 

http://www.internationalmaplesyrupinstitute.com/projects.html

Lol .... Thank Heavens. I am quite addicted to the stuff, and am also mildly diabetic as well.

Indeed they are. Just be aware that most will be just boiling straight water due to the weather and no sap.  There has been a bit of a panick from some to supply there shelves for syrup sales since its such a late start to the season.  Still very enjoyable to attend, lots are having pancake breakfasts as well, lots of stuff to taste like maple sugar, sugar on snow, maple suckers, maple mustards, maple BBQ sauces, Maple cotton candy, Maple snow cones, Maple candy, a whole bunch more and of course Pure Maple Syrup.  If you get to one making lunches by chance ask if they have any maple sap dogs.  Your in for a real treat if they do!  Unfortunately for me I will not be open as there is no sap and I have been sold out of syrup for a couple months.  Taps are going in tomorrow though. We are usually nearing the end of the season this time of year.  A lot of worried sugarmakers out there right now including me.

My 12" - 18" trees are producing double the sap of the larger, older trees. The older trees slow down in the afternoon, while the young trees continue steady dripping into the evening.  I have several 10" maples, that I question whether to tap to increase some more production.

Although late, my trees are just about right for production and have had a couple decent days.

Taped about a third of what I have on tubing, and its the traditionally lower production sections, but the tank is easy to get to by the shop.

Made a couple gallons in two evenings, and should have time next week to use up a pile of fire wood I want out of the way.

Wish I could could help some of you upstate guys out.

Edited by Dinsdale

Was planning to take my sisters to Flyway Farms in Middleport for Maple Weekend, but have found out the owners husband has just recently passed away, so they are not sponsoring Maple Weekend this year. I wish the family well during this time. Guess we will head over to Wolfes Maple Farm then, they are the only others in the area having Maple weekend activities.

My 12" - 18" trees are producing double the sap of the larger, older trees. The older trees slow down in the afternoon, while the young trees continue steady dripping into the evening.  I have several 10" maples, that I question whether to tap to increase some more production.

10 inches is the new norm using 5/16 taps,  One tap per tree though.  Good rule of thumb to tap buy is if you can hug the tree and touch hands its a single tap tree, if you cant touch your hands its a two tap tree.  Old school was to put a tap every 12 inches, and thanks to lots of research that has been done from various universities that is a bad thing as you will at some point run out of good tap wood.   I still see some hang 4 to 6 buckets or taps in a tree.  Not good.  Any how one section of woods all tapped in on vac and another one almost done.  Pulled a lowsy 25 gallons per 100 taps in today, just enough to flush the lines and that is about it.  Snow is so deep it takes all day to dig out mainlines and lateral lines and can only manage about 200 taps put in a day.  Very tiring.

Was planning to take my sisters to Flyway Farms in Middleport for Maple Weekend, but have found out the owners husband has just recently passed away, so they are not sponsoring Maple Weekend this year. I wish the family well during this time. Guess we will head over to Wolfes Maple Farm then, they are the only others in the area having Maple weekend activities.

Gaeta Farm on Ridge Rd, just east of 429 has a nice little set up. They have hands on live demos. The only other one that I know of, nearby is Sweet Dream Maple Farm near Darien Lake Theme Park. They always have a nice display.

10 inches is the new norm using 5/16 taps,  One tap per tree though.  Good rule of thumb to tap buy is if you can hug the tree and touch hands its a single tap tree, if you cant touch your hands its a two tap tree.  Old school was to put a tap every 12 inches, and thanks to lots of research that has been done from various universities that is a bad thing as you will at some point run out of good tap wood.   I still see some hang 4 to 6 buckets or taps in a tree.  Not good.  Any how one section of woods all tapped in on vac and another one almost done.  Pulled a lowsy 25 gallons per 100 taps in today, just enough to flush the lines and that is about it.  Snow is so deep it takes all day to dig out mainlines and lateral lines and can only manage about 200 taps put in a day.  Very tiring.

Nice rule of thumb, thanks!

I tapped a few 10" trees yesterday. Sap on a few, 3 second drip interval, others right next to, bone dry. Go figure. My old reliable give close to 3 gallon yesterday with 2 taps. She's a big maple that looks in great shape yet. Good luck on the rest of the season. Wish for warm days and freezing nights.

Gaeta Farm on Ridge Rd, just east of 429 has a nice little set up. They have hands on live demos. The only other one that I know of, nearby is Sweet Dream Maple Farm near Darien Lake Theme Park. They always have a nice display.

Thanks for info Landtrac

Hey guys, this may be a stupid question, can you take too much sap from a tree and hurt it or even kill it? 

Its impossible to take too much.  I run high vac for example and the amount of sap taken is small in comparison to what it produces.  There has been years of studies done on this subject.  There are times however when you could add additional stress to a tree when tapping if the tree is already stressed, such as loss of limbs due to ice damage and over tapping them for several years.  The overtapping is not from taking too much sap but from causing too much scarring inside the tree for lack of better terms. Think of it like this, when you cut yourself it leaves a scar behind it does the same thing to a tree but internally in the sap column. The area around the tap hole is now unable to pass sap up the tree in that area,  not a problem unless you have tapped a complete band around the tree cutting of its ability to pass the sap to the branches.  This is why the 2 tap max is the rule of thumb theses days.  Doing so will allow the tree to be able to handle long term tapping.  Young trees add girth and grow new wood over these old tap holes after several years, the older trees that there further grow rates are very small will not be growing new wood around these tap hole any time soon, therefore it narrows your tapping band around the tree so you have to be careful not to place taps in the wrong spots cutting off the sap flow to the branches and killing the tree.   You guys interested in making maple syrup can always get lots of information and ask lots of questions on a Maple Forum that I am one of several founding members that developed it a few years ago.   http://sugarbush.info/forums/

• Like 2