We did that/THIS RINGS MANY BELLS

greg54

Darn, what happened to this world.... I'm going back to Brooklyn to play stick-ball...:-)

Yea I remember the stickball, dodge ball in school but that's even banned now. So many things we did and active all the time. Now its done sitting in front of a computer and getting fat and diabetes and so many other things

I call it the wussification of american kids today. Really how can we have a little league baseball game with no losers. Kids need to feel whats its like to lose once and a while. We can't keep trying to protect the form dissapointment. Thats how you build character. Life is not always fair and if they learn that early, they will be better adults.

Ha! what can I say that I haven't said a thousand times before. This video is exactly right.

Oh and while we're on a roll, I might point out that I am a taxpayer in the same school district that I graduated from 53 years ago. The enrollment today is only slightly larger (fewer than a dozen more) than it was the day I graduated. But since that time, another entire school building complex (elementary school) has been added complete with an entire additional administrative staff and maintenance costs and staff.

We now have an entire additional bus run to handle the extra curricular activities. We used to be responsible for providing our own transportation if our activities ran past the normal bus route time.

We have a separate gymnasium instead of the combination gym/auditorium that everyone survived with for many, many, decades. The auditorium now has nice plush theater-style seats instead of the bleaches and rows of folding chairs.

I hear the new addition being put on this year will consume a very large portion of the playground where students used to go out and actually get some fresh air and exercise.

Oh and did I mention that the student population only grew by a dozen or so since I went there .... lol.

One would guess that the quality of our education suffered because we had been deprived of all these goodies. The fact is that none of these multi-million dollar expansions and grandiose furnishings and services have really gone toward anything that has to do with education.

How did our generation ever survive and prosper with such deficient surroundings?

• Like 1

When I was young and a poor immigrant, we would find old broken caulk guns in the construction dumpster.  We rigged it and pretended that it was a real gun.  Ran around the school yard during the summer "shooting" at each other with our imaginary guns.  The local beat cop, who we said "Good morning, Officer Hughes" to every morning instead of calling him a "pig" would complement us for our imagination and ingenuity.

All these changes within our lifetimes. In my case a mere 70 years with most of these changes accelerating in the more recent years. It doesn't look all that good for the future, does it? Anybody here thing that any of it will reverse? ..... lol. Not hardly.

I call it the wussification of american kids today. Really how can we have a little league baseball game with no losers. Kids need to feel whats its like to lose once and a while. We can't keep trying to protect the form dissapointment. Thats how you build character. Life is not always fair and if they learn that early, they will be better adults.

Ain't that the truth... !!!

I might not have been raised in that time frame but my child hood was very similar to that (with the exception of lead based pain cribs and no child proof lids). It really makes me happy to know I at least got some of the good days. I actually miss drinking out of the hose on a hot summer day while playing some sport.