wtf my daughters school telling her hunting is bad

silent death

Bubba, you're exhausting because you seem to be more interested in believing what you want to believe than in knowing the truth.  Yes, you are required to 'follow the regs', meaning you need to provide HIPAA information to your patients.  Where you are wrong is in your insistance that you are required by law to ask the gun-related questions.  Those questions are on your office's forms because that is the policy of the office where you work, not because there is any law that requires it.

Papist, I'll type slowly so you can hopefully understand.  Some doctors are asking the gun-related questions because they choose to.  They are not required to ask those questions and you are not required to answer them.  If the question offends you so badly, switch doctors.  Or better yet, go ahead and ask them all your brilliant questions about curtains and fish ponds.

Your children's doctor asked a question out of concern for their well being. Some pediatricians provide literature about safe gun storage to avoid accidents involving children. Why not just ensure her that your guns are safely stored and thank her for her concern? If she responds with her own personal agenda related to guns, then tell her off.

do you have a link to enlighten us that you know the Dr asked for that reason?  I would like to read about it

• Like 1

While I believe my doc has my and my kid's best interest in mind, I didn't appreciate getting asked about my guns during our newborn first visit. She didn't ask me about my pool covers, hammers, car maintenance, etc. She did ask about car seats, but really that's about it. I felt that it was an agenda.

I pulled this from the CDC, which keeps records. It is the most recent year they have published on their site and it seems to be in-line with other years. Only once does firearms show up within the youth range for the top three causes. And, that's in the 15-24 range, so I suspect the majority of those are adult related crimes and not homelife related and involving youths.

Anyone trying to rationalize doctors asking about guns and not inquiring about other statistically more critical risks is off their rocker. It's an agenda and it's pretty clear.

post-575-0-60326700-1391607869_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

It's not the doctors who are ignorant and uninformed. 

What point are you trying to make?  Some doctors ask the question because they think it is an important issue where they can provide helpful information.  If the point is, as Phade states (finally someone making an intelligent argument), that doctors in general are not pro-gun, that's probably accurate.  But, they have every right to ask. Again, if the question offends you so deeply, find another doctor and quit being so sensitive.

Nice try Papist.  My tune hasn't changed.  I never said that the doctors asking the question didn't have 'an agenda'.  I said that they ask the question because they feel there is legitimate reason for concern.  And, the more important point was that doctors are not mandated to ask the question, as Bubba insists.

Here's the problem - doctors are in positional power. The same relationship where a teacher cannot sleep with a student of legal consent age - positional power.

A doctor is in positional power because they can note and report anything they deem suspicious (and not on the level of an average citizen). In most cases, I believe that reporting is legit out of concern; however, the ability to do so in a positional power becomes in question when there is an agenda mixed in. Having an agenda asking only about firearms and not other higher risk areas which are statistically backed-up, almost forces a patient's hand to comply. Failure to comply gives the impression that reporting may take place. I think everyone will agree that nobody wants child protective services and/or police knocking at their door for a miscommunication or a desire to keep privacy private. Neighbors see this, you may have to miss work and lose out on wages, and so on and so forth. Perception is also reality, guilty or not. CPS shows up because a doc reported you as a concern because you didn't want to answer the gun question - do you think your neighbor will let their kid come over to play with your kid? Heck no. I wouldn't.

A doctor asking thorough questions about safety of my child, which includes ones on firearms, as well as those about car maintenance, choking hazards, pool covers, etc. to me make me feel like the doctor cares. A doctor asking about guns in my home and nothing else, makes me feel like I am backed into a corner with little recourse but to answer, and that's an abuse of positional power. Just like a teacher implying but not directly saying sleeping with him/her is needed to pass the class - it's an abuse of positional power.

Finding another doctor is possible, but not easy. It also does not stop or negate the ability of the doctor asking those questions to report the concern.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Papist, you give yourself too much credit.  Phade made a point, you never did.  My statements never claimed that there were any statistics of one household danger versus another.  I simply stated that some doctors view guns as more dangerous that other potential hazards, such as the curtains that you are so concerned about.  And, again, I never claimed that docs did not have an agenda.  The first time that subject was raised was in Phade's post.  And again, if you are offended by your perception of a doctor's 'agenda' for asking a gun-related question, find another doctor.

The basis for my opinion as to why they ask the question?  I believe that they ask the question because they feel that guns, when not stored properly, are a legitimate safety risk.  I can only state my opinion as to why they ask.  To get the answer that you seem to be looking for, you'd need to ask a doctor who actually asks his/her patients these questions.  I am not one of those doctors.

I am not going to scan pages of regs I have in my office for your enlightenment.  Where did you read I was wrong please enlighten me.  I woukld love ot be wrong and not havew to comply with a bunch of govt regs.  

Hmm I don't recall saying you were right or wrong, I know you got butt hurt like always and got all defensive though. I asked you share your facts with the rest of us.

You are wrong about Hipaa but refuse to back up your claims. Fairly simple.

If a doc asks the question, you have many options.  You can answer, 'yes, i do have guns in the house, but they are safely stored, thank you'.  You can simply say, 'no, i don't have any guns in the house'.  Or, you can find another doc.  And, by the way, not all docs ask these questions.  If you look into what is involved in physician 'reporting' regarding these issues, you'd see that a doctor cannot simply 'report' someone based on his/her own political agenda.

Tell us again how 9/11 came about. It was all a big random mistake correct? Nobody conspired to fly anything into anything. Is that your position?

I still have no idea WTF you are talking about 9/11 for, just because you are a conspirisist doesn't mean you need to insert your theories on a different one into every subject. I have never once discussed 9/11 here so stop trying to start a crusade against me every thread you go off the rails in.

I would love a follow up from the OP.

On a more legal note concerning HIPPA. Let's say a child is at their Doctor's office and tells the Doctor that their parents has firearms and are loaded at all times. Would that info really be covered by HIPPA? It isn't of a medical nature. Are discussion or disclosed information that isn't medical covered?

Papist, look up the definition of 'opinion'.  There is no statistic that will answer the question as to why someone else does whatever they do.  I answered your question.  But, you don't seem capable of understanding the answer.   As I said, I am not a doctor who asks those questions.  If I were, I could tell you why I do it.  You're trying so hard to convince yourself that you're winning this argument.  But, you're really just being argumentative.

Hmm I don't recall saying you were right or wrong, I know you got butt hurt like always and got all defensive though. I asked you share your facts with the rest of us.

You are wrong about Hipaa but refuse to back up your claims. Fairly simple.

and again if you are sure I am wrong, you musty have some proof of that?  Please show your proof and I will admit I was wrong.  All you are doing is trying to stand up for the agenda.  I get that.  Please post a LINK showing me wrong.  You will not because there is not one.  Enlighten me.

and again if you are sure I am wrong, you musty have some proof of that?  Please show your proof and I will admit I was wrong.  All you are doing is trying to stand up for the agenda.  I get that.  Please post a LINK showing me wrong.  You will not because there is not one.  Enlighten me.

You are a child.

Culver, that's a good question.  Healthcare professionals are subject to mandatory reporting if they suspect abuse or neglect.  Not sure of specific guidelines as they related to your question.  I would think that a practitioner could feel that there is possible 'neglect' in your example. 

I am saying exactly the same thing you did.  If that makes me a child, you better look in the mirror don't you think?  

Fine I will prove you are an idiot but I am sure you will continue to argue and act like an ass because that is your thing here. You REALLY should learn the laws before spouting off and more so as you a Murse (Male Nurse).

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/special/NICS/index.html

"On April 23, 2013, the Department published an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) requesting the public’s input on how HIPAA may affect some states’ ability to report to the NICS and ways in which these barriers could be addressed without discouraging individuals from seeking mental health services.  Over 2,000 comments were received from individuals, state agencies, health care providers, professional organizations, consumer advocacy groups, and other stakeholders.  After considering the public comments received, the Department developed a NPRM, which proposes to modify the HIPAA Privacy Rule to permit certain HIPAA-covered entities to disclose to the NICS the identities of persons prohibited by federal law from possessing or receiving a firearm for reasons related to mental health.

The proposal would give states and certain covered entities added flexibility to ensure accurate but limited information is reported to the NICS, which would not include clinical, diagnostic, or other mental health information.  Instead, certain covered entities would be permitted to disclose the minimum necessary identifying information about individuals who have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution or otherwise have been determined by a lawful authority to be a danger to themselves or others or to lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs.  Importantly, the proposed permission focuses on those entities performing relevant commitments, adjudications, or data repository functions.  The proposed modifications would merely permit, and not require, covered entities to report to the NICS.  In addition, the proposed rule would not change the existing permitted uses and disclosures of protected health information under the HIPAA Privacy Rule."

Has nothing to do with my point  I said nothing about mental health.and NICS to stop a person from getting a gun.  this is about people who already have guns and will have them taken away. This proves nothing about what I am talking about. No wonder you think you know it all. Wanna try again about health care providers having to ask about guns and how it is report able to the federal govt?  If not nothing is there. PS I love the murse comment I may use that in the future.