wtf my daughters school telling her hunting is bad

silent death

The same with doctors asking kids if their is guns at home.

enjoy

I was completely thrown off when my pediatrician asked me if I kept guns at home. She wanted to make sure I kept them locked and unloaded. Totally unexpected. At the time, my boy was one month old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the doctor asked the question in order to provide information regarding safe gun handling and storage, I see no issue- guns in the home are an obvious concern regarding the safety and well-being of children, which is of concern to pediatricians.  However, if a 'yes' answer was responded to with a politically leaning answer in either direction, I would have a problem with that as well.

If you actually knew how messed up some of the teachers are, you would never want your kids in the same building. I had a teacher me and my friends were close to and he would tell us how messed up some of these people were.

let me tell you...THAT IS NOTHING NEW....worked for and partied with teachers and their wives when in school..dated a guy who's parents were teachers...4 family members are and or were teachers and I worked as a teachers aid in 2 districts...some serious hard core stories out there...BTW that aren't "urban legends"

I have had both sides of the spectrum with teachers that my daughter had through school. a couple were a little too vocal about being anti hunting and guns for my taste and it was addressed. There were also two that because they found out I hunted they would ask her before class every Monday during the season, how I made out. But that wasn't done during class time to the entire class.

I am a middle school teacher in a large suburban/urban school district.  I'm also an avid hunter/outdoorsman.  I feel bad for all of the anti-teachers in this thread.  The overwhelming vast majority of folks that I work with in my building are true professionals that love working with kids.  We're not all Obama-loving, suburu driving, PETA registered, lazy, unprofessional, overpaid and underworked bums with drinking and drug problems.  Believe it or not, some of us, many of us actually, are registered independents and republicans.  And a lot of us hunt and enjoy the outdoors as well. 

Teachers should not be pushing their personal agendas on their students, ever.  If your daughter's teacher really made anti-hunting comments to a group of 3rd graders, then you have every reason to be upset and angry.  I'd personally recommend calling the teacher first and asking them about it.  If the teacher actually made those types of comments, they'd be too proud to deny it.  Then you have a reason to call the building principal and share your concerns.

• Like 3

Anti teachers? Better yet; Anti- education? The people who hate groups love to group dont they?

I had our pediatrician red in the face; when i asked her why she is asking the question.she replied thousands of children die of gun violence. I asked for a specific number, if my children appeared to be effected by violence and how this conversation would effect that. Our what was a 7 year perfect relationship began to burn. She exclaimed she was going to teach my children about gun safety. I asked her who taught her and why she may know more than someone who was trained and is indeed a gun owner and operator. She frantically asked the kids if there were guns in the house. They replied yes. She asked me if i kept them loaded i replied no. After 30 seconds of silence i asked for her to explain how that limited exposure to violence or taught anyone anything. She mumbled "this is a serious problem"...I replied yes it is- you just invaded my privacy without consent. I am probably on a watch list now- but we honestly never went back to her and she retired soon there after. People of all occupations suck, but everyone should be accountable. If you went to Arbys and they served you a veggie taco youd be livid....gun control is not in the teachers curriculum 

• Like 1

Your children's doctor asked a question out of concern for their well being. Some pediatricians provide literature about safe gun storage to avoid accidents involving children. Why not just ensure her that your guns are safely stored and thank her for her concern? If she responds with her own personal agenda related to guns, then tell her off.

The problem with "Telling her off" is then the doc has the upper hand and if the doc is pissed all they have to do is say those kids are in peril and the law is coming.Docs have no right...NONE to ask if theres guns in the house.Do they ask about drugs,gangs or any other thing that may put the kid in harms way??? Nope.Screw the docs and screw the jagoffs that want to know so the person is on a watch list

• Like 1

Your children's doctor asked a question out of concern for their well being. Some pediatricians provide literature about safe gun storage to avoid accidents involving children. Why not just ensure her that your guns are safely stored and thank her for her concern? If she responds with her own personal agenda related to guns, then tell her off.

Actually that question is part of Obama care regs.  It is supposed to be asked by all dr's.  Why do they need to ask me that question when I have no kids at home.  who;s safety is he concerned with?  This goes into your permanent health record.  Then when they take a look through them and see  you were on wellbutrin which is an antidepressant to help stop smoking, you are not qualified to have a firearm.  And please do not try the hipaa laws crap.  Most people give them permission to release the records.  Down play it all you want, but I am in health care and have to be up on the regs.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1

When you go to the Dr and they push the papers under your nose to sign about HIPAA,  when you sign them, you are giving them permission to share your info. So you have nothing to complain about when they do. 

The cars question is stupid. They don't ask about cars because there are all sorts of laws that relate to safety- seat belts, child seats, etc. The power tools question is reasonable- first reasonable question or statement I've seen from you. My guess is the answer would be related to the mortality of gun accidents versus power tool accidents.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is definitely a left leaning group. They don't hide that fact. But, some of you guys are just too sensitive about anyone asking any questions about your guns. A pediatrician asking a question is not a threat to your rights. Give an intelligent answer and move on. If the doctor politicizes the issue, then tell her off.

Are you opposed to seatbelt laws? Or, I should probably ask- would you be opposed to them if they had been originally proposed by Obama?

First off I said nothing about Obama so dot insinuate that I did.I could give a crap less if anyone else wears a seatbelt when they are in there own vehicle and yes I think its their right to wear or not wear their seatbelt.What I am opposed to is being put in the same category as someone who does others harm because they did it with a gun and because I own a gun.Would you like to be labeled a rapist because your a man?Nope I bet you wouldn't.They have no right to ask if the house has guns in it

I do not have to look it up, I do it every day.  Not everything you look up is correct. That has nothing to do with why my dr is asking me about guns.. I noticed you did not respond to that.  I do not see a pediatrician.

Machinist, my post wasn't directed to you. It was meant for Papist. Either way, they have every right to ask. The question doesn't put you into any category. It's meant to be an opportunity for a doctor to provide information, if needed, about safety.