Where do we stand with crossbows

Tinlodge

I feel bad for all the public land hunters if they allow X bows during the archery season. It's going to be just like gun season minus hearing the gun shots.

that's my concern, I really have no problem with the weapon......just concerned as to what type of hunter it will attract and what methods they use while hunting, I envision guys stalking through the woods with their crossbows and hunting with them exactly the way they do when gun hunting.................hopefully it's an unfounded concern.

that's my concern, I really have no problem with the weapon......just concerned as to what type of hunter it will attract and what methods they use while hunting, I envision guys stalking through the woods with their crossbows and hunting with them exactly the way they do when gun hunting.................hopefully it's an unfounded concern.

I see it happening just from my experience hunting public land for 15 years. Out of 16,000 acres I hunted you rarely bumped into anyone during the archery season. Come gun season. You have all these guys from NYC, CT ect... coming out of the woodwork. Majority of the gun hunter only are going to have the mentality that a X bow is just like a gun and they will be showing up from all over the place. Say bye bye to your peaceful archery season.  Mark my words.

• Like 1

you're saying you know a lot of hunter's in New York who use them? last I checked you had to pretty much be a blowing through a tube and confined to a wheelchair in order to get a permit...........

That's my point, they are already being used and where's the great deer slaughter that the Anti's claim.

That's my point, they are already being used and where's the great deer slaughter that the Anti's claim.

so you're saying you know numerous people who qualify for a crossbow permit in NY? I think most of us would be hard pressed to find 1 or 2 people who qualify, unless you're involved in an organization who helps disabled hunter's, I find it hard to believe, or are they just using them because they want to continue hunting regardless of the law?

Says the guy who probably hunts private land

I really love it when someone don't agree with you they pull out the "you're ignorant" or the "you're all butthurt" card. Some people need to grow up!

That's why I just laughed. I stated my opinion (doesn't mean you have to agree) and comes back with a ignorant comment. Again.....LMAO.

I see it happening just from my experience hunting public land for 15 years. Out of 16,000 acres I hunted you rarely bumped into anyone during the archery season. Come gun season. You have all these guys from NYC, CT ect... coming out of the woodwork. Majority of the gun hunter only are going to have the mentality that a X bow is just like a gun and they will be showing up from all over the place. Say bye bye to your peaceful archery season.  Mark my words.

Ha.. Here is a topic we can 100% agree on...

• Like 1

Just in a general statement. You have primitive hunters who like recurve, longbow, flintlock and cap & ball. You have compound bows, pistol hunters, rifle hunters, shotgun hunters, modern black powder and now crossbow hunters. I think I about covered it. So how do you give guys equal access with equal ability without cutting access. Set a primitive season, gun season, muzzleloader, compound, crossbow and then gun? Do you give each type a week? It gets dicey how you carve out each type so you don't get crossover and destroy another guys preferred method. I don't know the answer but can sure see the problems others have.

Just in a general statement. You have primitive hunters who like recurve, longbow, flintlock and cap & ball. You have compound bows, pistol hunters, rifle hunters, shotgun hunters, modern black powder and now crossbow hunters. I think I about covered it. So how do you give guys equal access with equal ability without cutting access. Set a primitive season, gun season, muzzleloader, compound, crossbow and then gun? Do you give each type a week? It gets dicey how you carve out each type so you don't get crossover and destroy another guys preferred method. I don't know the answer but can sure see the problems others have.

you start out quietly with traditional archery (recurve and longbow only) and slowly increase the volume into the loudest most invasive weapon........traditional, compound, crossbbow, flintlock, percussion, inline and than finally modern smokeless powder weapons........oh it's complex, but the only way to do it fairly and keep everyone happy while allowing all weapons.........and I hope they reduce it to a one buck a year rule on top of that, no more tags for each weapon, that way you gotta pick whats most important to you as far as your preferred method of harvest.

Edited by jjb4900

Maybe that is the answer JJ no special tags. Just one and done

as much as I love hunting, I just may plunk down a grand for a nice crossbow and another $25 for extra tags if it offers me more time in the woods and another season, and I'm sure I'm not alone.............but I'd be happier if they reeled in the amount of tags issued and their cross season usage.

as much as I love hunting, I just may plunk down a grand for a nice crossbow and another $25 for extra tags if it offers me more time in the woods and another season, and I'm sure I'm not alone.............but I'd be happier if they reeled in the amount of tags issued and their cross season usage.

They wont have their own season, they'll be allowed in all seasons.

• Like 1

Maybe that is the answer JJ no special tags. Just one and done

Pretty simple .....eh? Buy your general big game hunting license. Have one buck tag issued that covers all seasons. go for your antlerless draw(s). And away you go. what could be simpler. And on top of that, look at the paperwork and unique databases you could scrap. Sounds good to me.

Not only that, but if you want hunters to be more selective with their harvests, what better way than having them make their one and only buck tag count.

Pretty simple .....eh? Buy your general big game hunting license. Have one buck tag issued that covers all seasons. go for your antlerless draw(s). And away you go. what could be simpler. And on top of that, look at the paperwork and unique databases you could scrap. Sounds good to me.

Not only that, but if you want hunters to be more selective with their harvests, what better way than having them make their one and only buck tag count.

just like the old days........what could be simpler?,,and do away with AR's in the process.

just like the old days........what could be simpler?,,and do away with AR's in the process.

I think a lot of the AR goals would be automatically achieved with the increased selectivity of the hunters.

All bows (longbows, compounds, crossbows) allowed in archery season, all guns allowed in gun season. One buck tag each year, and DMPs allocated as they need to be, no either sex tags that cover the whole state. Knock a week off of the end of gun season, leave a gap, then have late ML/archery as is.

Ahhhhh, simple, and would make for an even better late season. Hunters would become more selective with buck harvests and does could be managed more effectively.

A guy can dream cant he? Lol

• Like 2

All bows (longbows, compounds, crossbows) allowed in archery season, all guns allowed in gun season. One buck tag each year, and DMPs allocated as they need to be, no either sex tags that cover the whole state. Knock a week off of the end of gun season, leave a gap, then have late ML/archery as is.

Ahhhhh, simple, and would make for an even better late season. Hunters would become more selective with buck harvests and does could be managed more effectively.

A guy can dream cant he? Lol

That dream would be nice reality.

Not understanding how hunters hate the fact that they can be told what size buck (or turkey for that matter) to take because it infringes on their right of choice given that they pay a good amount for their license.. yet have no problem accepting being told the number of deer they can take and of what sex, plus have their hunting season reduced by a week (for the same cost of a license). Totally throws the "freedom of choice" argument right out the window. I also find it funny how bow hunters don't have a problem with reducing gun hunting season and gun hunters have no problem reducing bow season. LOL... it's a joke sometimes how hunters talk of being conservationist and the importance of hunting and conservation, when really it's all about "What will make it better for ME."