Warm camo coat or jacket

How's that fleece work when it gets wet?

The newer fleece is pretty water resistant ... obviously not as good as regular rain gear... especially in a prolonged downpour... but on those drizzly, dreary days it works quite well and still keeps you warm.

Edited by nyantler

UA base layers are a waste of money IMO. They don't hold a candle to the warmth of 100% merino wool base layers. UA is ok if your moving, but once you sit for a period of time it sucks!

wool is great, but a bit more confining I think than UA or a polyfiber base layer... same with the jacket... wool is a great choice if you don't mind all the extra weight vs fleece.

wool is great, but a bit more confining I think than UA or a polyfiber base layer... same with the jacket... wool is a great choice if you don't mind all the extra weight vs fleece.

UA base layers are compression fit where as merino wool base layers are not as tight and a lot lighter than UA. There is no comparison between the 2 IMO.

UA base layers are compression fit where as merino wool base layers are not as tight and a lot lighter than UA. There is no comparison between the 2 IMO.

Lighter than UA? Ive never tried the Merino wool, but I find that hard to believe. I have T-shirts that are heavier weight material than my Cold Gear.

Lighter than UA? Ive never tried the Merino wool, but I find that hard to believe. I have T-shirts that are heavier weight material than my Cold Gear.

Depends on what weight you go with. I have a set of minus 33 mid weight and they're just as light as UA if not lighter and they're twice as warm. I also have a set of Scent Blocker expedition weight that is heavier than the UA.

As far as a coat or jacket, I've been using the Cabelas MT050 parka for a couple of years and it's excellent.  Very warm and weatherproof.  It is pricey.  But, they run sales all the time and you can find it on their website in the offseason at a more reasonable price.

Depends on what weight you go with. I have a set of minus 33 mid weight and they're just as light as UA if not lighter and they're twice as warm. I also have a set of Scent Blocker expedition weight that is heavier than the UA.

I use the minus 33 and prefer it over the UA 4 base layer too.  Warmer and more comfortable.  Also stays warm if you sweat a bit and then sit, unlike the UA.

The thing you want to do is get the moisture away from your body an open weave tee shirt and boxer briefs will do that.LL Bean and sporting goods stores sell them. When the temps. go down below 30 deg. I wear them all winter under my merino wool or under shirts and bottoms.If you do any kind of outdoor activity in the cold weather you will notice the difference.The UA clothing I had went to the clothing bin at the transfer station after the second time I wore them. 

This is what I have and it's toasty warm . I also bought 2 extra batteries . It's pricey but how much did you pay for your rifle and scope that won't keep you warm ! You can find there for less on EBAY sometimes ....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-XLarge-M12-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Realtree-AP-Camo-Heated-Jacket-Kit-2333-XL/203001634#customer_reviews