Great News

Tinlodge

crossbow users getting the last 14 days of the southern archery season is huge, many consider that prime time to be out there hunting......I remember how pissed many bowhunters were when they lost the last weekend to the Saturday opener of the regular season.

Bowhunters can still hunt the last 14 days.

Kinda funny to see a 2 year old organization put it over on NYB. Cant wait to see who the first anti-crossbow guy on here is that goes out and gets one.

Well, they didn't exactly do it all by themselves did they? They had the entirety of the crossbow industry along with all the gun hunters that are constantly looking to pry their way into a backdoor entry into the bow season. They also had a huge assist from NYON and their biased editorial staff. I think it is amazing that the bowhunters being in such a tiny minority went up against all of these forces and were as successful as they were. Each year the crossbow lobby claimed success and each year they were turned back. Given the odds, it was a pretty effective fight for a group that so many people claimed represented so few, wouldn't you say? It was a good fight, but now the door is open and the anti-archery forces are licking their chops at this turn of events. Yet another precedent has been set in their favor.

• Like 1

I'm sure glad I picked up some private land to hunt in the past couple years. I can't even imagine what the archery season is going to be like for the public land hunters. I can just picture sitting in my tree stand watching a bunch of knuckle heads walking around with Xbows. Sorry........they just don't belong in the archery season and whether it's passed or not. I will not be supporting it.

• Like 2

I thought for sure that "true bowhunters" would embrace the additional level of challenge that comes with having more hunters in the woods...not run off to their secret place where things are easier.

Hmmmm, I guess I was wrong,lol

I thought for sure that "true bowhunters" would embrace the additional level of challenge that comes with having more hunters in the woods...not run off to their secret place where things are easier.

Forget that! You want a real challenge, take your bow out during gun season. That's where you really get the challenge....lol.

It has nothing to do with not wanting more hunters. It has to do with the mind set that people will have with a Xbow in their hands. I staff for Excalibur xbows and you would be amazed what I hear people saying while I'm doing shows. I get first hand experience with these people.  It really makes you think how this is really going to effect the archery season. Again. I have nothing against them. I just don't feel they belong in the archery season unless your physically unable to draw a bow.

Forget that! You want a real challenge, take your bow out during gun season. That's where you really get the challenge....lol.
Actually Doc...last year I got my 5th archery harvest of the season on December 15, after I had passed the same 2 does with my ML the day prior.

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18500-2013-HNY-Bow-Hunting-Harvest-Thread/page__view__findpost__p__271577

Most of the guys I've seen whining about xbows or whatever are also guys I haven't seen very often in the bow harvest thread...hunters hunt, everyone else is just talking.

I doubt I'll see even 1 or 2 new hunters in my area as a result of this and I hunt both public and private. Lots of land out there just find a piece with the kind of pressure you are comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

Haha- I was just poking fun now that it looks like this is close to being finalized.

I don't care how anyone else handles this, or what kind of hunter you want to "brand" yourself as.

I just know I plan on taking advantage of ALL the opportunities that present themselves with any legal weapons this fall.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 2

It has nothing to do with not wanting more hunters. It has to do with the mind set that people will have with a Xbow in their hands. I staff for Excalibur xbows and you would be amazed what I hear people saying while I'm doing shows. I get first hand experience with these people.  It really makes you think how this is really going to effect the archery season. Again. I have nothing against them. I just don't feel they belong in the archery season unless your physically unable to draw a bow.

I have seen my fair share of real winners holding a compound as well. The tool in the hand doesn't make the personality.

• Like 2

Well, they didn't exactly do it all by themselves did they? They had the entirety of the crossbow industry along with all the gun hunters that are constantly looking to pry their way into a backdoor entry into the bow season. They also had a huge assist from NYON and their biased editorial staff. I think it is amazing that the bowhunters being in such a tiny minority went up against all of these forces and were as successful as they were. Each year the crossbow lobby claimed success and each year they were turned back. Given the odds, it was a pretty effective fight for a group that so many people claimed represented so few, wouldn't you say? It was a good fight, but now the door is open and the anti-archery forces are licking their chops at this turn of events. Yet another precedent has been set in their favor.

Facts are facts. Crossbow supporters ended up forming a group, and in 2 years got things done. No, they didnt do it 100% alone, but NYB wanst 100% alone in their fight either. After all, they did stand shoulder to shoulder with anti-hunting animal rights groups on occasion.

The sky will not fall. Youll see.

• Like 1

Haha- I was just poking fun now that it looks like this is close to being finalized.

I don't care how anyone else handles this, or what kind of hunter you want to "brand" yourself as.

I just know I plan on taking advantage of ALL the opportunities that present themselves with any legal weapons this fall.

:good:  Couldn't have said it better myself. As I have stated all along, if it brings more people into a dying sport, or allows an older hunter the opportunity to continue to enjoy the sport, I'm all for it.

• Like 3

I think a lot of hunters will now find out how limited the distance you can take a shot at a whitetail with a crossbow really is. They are "LOUD" plain and simple and if your not right on top of a deer when you shoot you could very well end up with a miss or worse a wounded deer.

The stories that hunters will now be able to shoot deer at 70 and 100 yds with a crossbow will quickly fade.

From my own personal experience I wouldn't take a shot any past 30yds and prefer to keep them to 25 or less with my crossbows.

The very first time I fired a crossbow about 7-8 yrs ago I was actually a little disappointed after hearing the noise on release, I was like Oh my God this thing is freakin loud and will be totally useless for deer hunting. This is of course after being a vertical bow hunter all my life and having taken numerous deer at 35 and even some at 40 yards with my ultra quite compounds.

But now crossbow hunters will have a responsibility to show the hunting community that crossbows aren't the devils seed because you know we will be carefully scrutinized by hunters who didn't want them in bow season and by anti hunters who will be out there and posting videos and pics on the horrors of the crossbow.

agree 100% I have an average crossbow nothing fancy. But does the job 175lbs draw about 315-330fps I wouldn't take a shot past 30 yards the bolt or arrow drops a lot more and actually goes under the intended target. I have a 3d deer I shoot at and the Xbow is dead on up to 30 at 40 yards it's a clean miss and I'm aiming vitals heart/lung area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said! Thank you

Facts are facts. Crossbow supporters ended up forming a group, and in 2 years got things done. No, they didnt do it 100% alone, but NYB wanst 100% alone in their fight either. After all, they did stand shoulder to shoulder with anti-hunting animal rights groups on occasion.

The sky will not fall. Youll see.

If you really want to be honest about it, you will have to admit that just about all gun hunters were for inclusion of crossbows, including even those who really have no intention of ever using one. It's no secret that bowhunters are still in the minority in the hunting community. So I think you people are patting yourselves on the back and taking credit for things that you only played a minor part in. And then of course you never know if the status of crossbows would even today have gotten anywhere without the help of your new crossbow "buddy", Cuomo. And also in case the truth carries any weight with you, you also have to admit that the anti-hunting crowd had nothing to do with NYB, and in fact the effective blocking of crossbows got not one bit of support because of the anti-hunting crowd's stance. They were completely irrelevant in the discussions or the outcomes. Of course you know that, but never let a fact get in the way of a good anti-NYB sound-bite.

If you really want to be honest about it, you will have to admit that just about all gun hunters were for inclusion of crossbows, including even those who really have no intention of ever using one. It's no secret that bowhunters are still in the minority in the hunting community. So I think you people are patting yourselves on the back and taking credit for things that you only played a minor part in. And then of course you never know if the status of crossbows would even today have gotten anywhere without the help of your new crossbow "buddy", Cuomo. And also in case the truth carries any weight with you, you also have to admit that the anti-hunting crowd had nothing to do with NYB, and in fact the effective blocking of crossbows got not one bit of support because of the anti-hunting crowd's stance. They were completely irrelevant in the discussions or the outcomes. Of course you know that, but never let a fact get in the way of a good anti-NYB sound-bite.

Yep.....Cuomo pissed off gun owners......gun owners wanted crossbows.......Cuomo gets them crossbows.....Cuomo gets votes from some gun owners because he got crossbows included.......Cuomo gets re-elected.  Yep, I'd say that's a win for all!

• Like 1

:good:  Couldn't have said it better myself. As I have stated all along, if it brings more people into a dying sport, or allows an older hunter the opportunity to continue to enjoy the sport, I'm all for it.

Bowhunting was a growing sport, it was and has not been dying. Simple fact checking of the DEC reports would show you the increase in archery tags and decrease in gun hunters. So why did crossbows save the sport? Who will not hunt with a crossbow who didn't already hunt with a compound or gun? I've asked this question so many times and it's never answered.

Keep in mind, that from the beginning I've been pro xbow for disabled and elderly

I'm sure glad I picked up some private land to hunt in the past couple years. I can't even imagine what the archery season is going to be like for the public land hunters. I can just picture sitting in my tree stand watching a bunch of knuckle heads walking around with Xbows. Sorry........they just don't belong in the archery season and whether it's passed or not. I will not be supporting it.

If crossbow hunters are knuckle heads, then compound bow hunters must be dingbats, that's a good compromise....LOL :laugh:

I've stayed out of these debates for I see both sides. I hunt with a bow on the ground spot and stalk style with my modern bow. To the guys that hunt with longbows and recurves that is awesome and I wish I had the time to get proficient enough with mine. But I would also love the chance to tale a xbow out too. Just like guys who hunt with a rifle and can shoot deer so far that the deer never have a chance. I am a shotgun only hunter and I live in rifle areas. My dad has bow hunted for 30+ years and he wants to change his style up and use his xbow. I see no problem with that everybody has his own weapon and IMO to each his own. Hope all us outdoorsman can compromise and this new bill or what ever we are callin it seems ok to me....sorry for the rant

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk