myths and facts...

G-Man

Someone on here and others have argued that the crossbow industry was behind this. According to one of the sponsors of the last senate bill, I believe Dave Valesky or Mark Grisanti, the industry was not an influence. I see no testimony from the industry either. Even if they did lobby in NY, those assembly members densely clustered south of the Tappen Zee Bridge were not likely to be influenced by a hunting product industry.

Yes because a politician has never been influenced by an industry and admitted to it...

the big problem is the rut only lasts a couple of weeks and a seperate season would be when september? bow starts oct 1 and has the whole month to itself, the last 2 weeks are now shared with x-bow.. would you rather of had bow start oct 15th as always and x-bow first 1-14th with the youth gun hunt in their season? I think what was done is a very good compromise. And face it if your a dedicated hunter you will be out in the woods as much as you can.. I've always laughed when all the camps around me open up a few weeks before season, atv driving around, hanging /fixing stands/ smoke in the air from woodburners the slamming of truck caps and doors... that makes a bigger impact on deermovement than the hunters in the woods who close doors slowly, try to be scent free and quite in the woods. Maybe there should be a law saying all stands/blinds must be in place before sept 1st... crossbows are easier because the draw is eliminated but so is any 2nd shot.. off a rest..how many times do deer come in exacty where you expect them to be? so now besides just turning a x-bower using shooting sticks must move those as well as turning to shoot... this is not the end of the world... many may take couse and try it i'm sure many others will give it up as it still takes skill and knowlege to know when to move/stand and where to set up.

• Like 1

The biggest winner is the corporate lobby that funded the crossbow push. They created a market by buying influence though the political system and then changed the law to support their newest venture. They knew they could count of the lemming like consumerism that has infected the hunting community. When in doubt bet on consumerism.

Wrong! The biggest winner is me! I don't have to buy CT or PA archery tags anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

And what prevented you from archery hunting in NY? The use of archery equipment?

The NY laws prevented me, except for 2 years when I got to use the xbow in the late ml season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IT IS EASIER! It may not be as easy as they think, but there's no debate that it's not easier.

And noone other than you antis try to argue that lol. You guys say it like its a bad thing.

Maybe if archery hunting becomes more efficient and effective, we might see some cut back on gun seasons like other states have.

The biggest winner is the corporate lobby that funded the crossbow push. They created a market by buying influence though the political system and then changed the law to support their newest venture. They knew they could count of the lemming like consumerism that has infected the hunting community. When in doubt bet on consumerism.

Care to provide some proof of that accusation? I keep hearing it, but never have seen any proof of it happening.

I've never shot a crossbow, but it does seem at first glance to remove one vital difficulty  and that is drawing in presence of the animal, other than that I can't comment......as long as I'm able to shoot a compound or recurve I will continue to do so, as I can't personally justify the cost to do what I am already capable of doing with my compound, had they given it a separate season there is little doubt I would get one in order to expand my hunting opportunities.....I love to hunt and would use whatever weapon or weapons that expand my chances to do so.

• Like 1

To me it is similar to what happened in the northern zone with mzl season. Before very few carried a mzl into the woods to get a jump on deer season.(inaccuracy ,unreliability,unfamiliarity) Rules changed to allow scoped mzl and the popularitiy of inlines, exploded .Everybody that hunted had a muzzleloader and was in the woods a week earlier than normal.Now if you wait for the opening week of rifle , you missed the boat the deer no the gig is up season has been on for a week.

I agree.  More deer are killed the opening day of muzzleloader than any other day of the season (gun or bow) and more are killed during that week than any other week of the season.  I say put the crossbows in archery and muzzleloaders in gun season.  Our northern zone archery season is roughly 3 weeks and one of those is also ML.

• Like 1

d-bone - that is what I have been saying for years now.

Around me in the SZ, there are more MZ hunters out the 1st week of late season (depending on weather) than the middle weeks of reg gun season.

It would end all the "slippery slope" arguments.

Guess it's just too simple a solution to have just 2 seasons.

Mike, excuse me for admittedly not being all caught up in the politico terminology of what you just said here.

Are you saying that hunter input was really not an issue taken into consideration without a respected organizations backing? That's what I'm reading, and looking for an honest answer to.

My honest answer, based on common sense, is that the testimony of the Nature Conservancy and the Audubon Society was  the greatest influence on Governor Cuomo and the members of the senate and assembly.  The politicians are even less likely to listen to the DEC or FWS than those organizations, even if they are saying the same exact thing. The DEC and other wildlife agencies are less credible because they are characterized by anti-hunters as being in collusion with hunters. Conservation organizations are considered politically correct and unbiased. Hunting and hunting organizations are considered not politically correct and highly biased..

• Like 2

Yes because a politician has never been influenced by an industry and admitted to it...

Lawdaz corrected me above, according to him, the industry took the outdoor writers on trips. Yes, that would certainly would build support within the hunting community, but is not a direct influence on the governor and the legislature.

Edited by mike rossi

Has anyone brought up the idea of maybe the DEC just wants more deer taken? (I may have missed it) Crossbows are "easier" and will put more hunters in the woods this fall. It makes sense that more deer will be taken. Just a thought

Has anyone brought up the idea of maybe the DEC just wants more deer taken? (I may have missed it) Crossbows are "easier" and will put more hunters in the woods this fall. It makes sense that more deer will be taken. Just a thought

Based on the latest science, the latest management regimes across the nation recommend maintaining much smaller deer populations. Crossbows are a tool to achieve that management goal. This has been mentioned by me on here before and its in the links I posted, you guys just don't read anything except hunting journalism. My wife just said to say that only hunters read that stuff, not the politicians and non hunting public majority...

it's probably a combination of population control, revenue and demand by the pro crossbow groups. The first year will probably not be a good gauge has to the effect it will have on those aspects. I don't see a mad rush by bow or gun hunters to run out and spend a grand on a decent crossbow and all the gun hunters who never bowhunted will need to get the archery course.....just my thoughts.

That is spot on. It is a primary goal in the Dec statewide deer management plan released last year. It was part of the law that changed discharge for both bows and xbows to 150 and 250' respectively. All new tools to help reduce overabundant deer numbers in suburban areas. End result is more acres, more opportunities, more seasons, weapons, and more balanced deer numbers which get less deer vehicle collisions' Lyme's disease, ag and forest over browse damage. That is why it was in the state deer plan, had support from tnc , Audubon, etc and broad public support. You would think hunters would be thrilled with added options.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

facts:

1) crossbows are easier to shoot accurately than vertical bows.

2) crossbows can be shot off a rest, in prone position, or off a shooting stick tripod greatly increasing both hold and accuracy. 

3) greater accuracy leads to a more efficient means of delivering a projectile to the target. 

4) greater efficiency leads to  an increase in kill and recovery rates.

5) increased recovery rates are a good thing.

6) most hunters including myself support increased recovery rates.

7) most hunters including myself also support crossbow use.

Edited by skyhunter
  • Like 1

facts:

4) greater efficiency leads to  an increase in kill and recovery rates.

I wouldn't automatically assume that.  I know quite a few gun hunters that never even shoot their guns before the season starts and deer get wounded and not recovered all the time during firearm season.  Just because a weapon is more efficient doesn't mean it translates to higher recovery rates.

I wouldn't automatically assume that.  I know quite a few gun hunters that never even shoot their guns before the season starts and deer get wounded and not recovered all the time during firearm season.  Just because a weapon is more efficient doesn't mean it translates to higher recovery rates.

It would be illogical to think otherwise.

I would think for the guy who is already an accomplished archer, shooting a crossbow will increase his chances and be a big advantage over a compound..........for the dope who just runs out and gets one because he can, I bet the amount of shots that should never have been taken will increase and recovery rates will suffer, to the uneducated, just picking something up and shouldering it like a gun will give them a false sense of it's capabilities.

• Like 2