myths and facts...

G-Man

Crossbows belong in the regular season. And should only be allowed in the archery season for the disabled and elderly. The difference is huge. A Hunter sitting in a stand with the weapon already cocked, with no time constraints and not having to draw in the presence of game is huge and fundamental difference . Let's couple it with the fact that using battery powered or cranks as cocking devices a able bodied hunter doesn't even have to be physically capable of drawing the device.

sniffle...

so everyone has a different idea about a good buck looks like and now i know his......lol

Isn't THAT what it should all be about?

Now we can add a little QDM and AR's to this one......................................

Crossbows belong in the regular season. And should only be allowed in the archery season for the disabled and elderly. The difference is huge. A Hunter sitting in a stand with the weapon already cocked, with no time constraints and not having to draw in the presence of game is huge and fundamental difference . Let's couple it with the fact that using battery powered or cranks as cocking devices a able bodied hunter doesn't even have to be physically capable of drawing the device.

I pretty much agree with this statement but would say kids and women should get a pass. Or at least kids.

But its realy a question of what a person feels hunting should be. Or at least modern hunting. Yhe more loud people u get to agree with u the better.

a crossbow does not have the range of any gun..so gun season is out... if it was in a seperate season before bow, bow hunters would whine, closing bow for a season in middle same complaint, so inclusion in bow is most logical answer...period ..and its what they did.

a crossbow does not have the range of any gun..so gun season is out... if it was in a seperate season before bow, bow hunters would whine, closing bow for a season in middle same complaint, so inclusion in bow is most logical answer...period ..and its what they did.

Here's another fact:

Most guys will agree a x-bow to be a cross between a gun AND a bow soooo.....

Why not have x-bow ONLY season, while getting rid of the archery, ML, and regular firearms season entirely!

Combine the best of both worlds into one, and no one will have anything to bitch about!

I always new there had to be some kind of  middle ground that would appeal to us all.

I gotta go send me another letter now to my buddy Mr. C. to see if he can pull any strings to bring us all back together here,lol

• Like 1

I read the first 3 and it was obvious that it trivializes the benefits with terms like "the only difference is that it holds the draw" that's not a small deal. that's freaking huge. How many deer have we all spooked by not timing our draw?

If your spooking deer while drawing and still taking the shot, then that's unethical. Sometimes you just have to let them walk as a lot of us like to say... 

X-bows take that movement factor out of the equation, so I believe it'll make hunters more ethical. B)

The biggest winner is the corporate lobby that funded the crossbow push. They created a market by buying influence though the political system and then changed the law to support their newest venture. They knew they could count of the lemming like consumerism that has infected the hunting community. When in doubt bet on consumerism.  

• Like 1

The biggest winner is the corporate lobby that funded the crossbow push. They created a market by buying influence though the political system and then changed the law to support their newest venture. They knew they could count of the lemming like consumerism that has infected the hunting community. When in doubt bet on consumerism.  

I think thats the case with most things today.  

• Like 1

20 feet in the air or in a pop up few deer will see you draw.

You think the blinds and stands should be banned?

After all, with your logic, they make it too easy.

• Like 1

i bet if you were to ask random people on the street if given the choice to hunt with a x-bow or a compound bow, a vast majority would choose a x-bow.  and i bet if you were to ask them why they chose a x-bow, there answer would be because they think its easier, shoots like a gun which 99% of people can figure out. regardless whether its easier or not.  plain and simple.  

to me i would expect more inexperienced "hunters" during archery because they think a x-bow is an easy shoe in into the archery season that you wouldnt normally find them in, because it "shoots just like a gun".

the act of physically shooting a x-bow is much more advantageous than a bow, but you still have to get on top of the deer. that at least requires some knowledge of the woods and a little effort.  which IMO may discourage some people.

• Like 2

i bet if you were to ask random people on the street if given the choice to hunt with a x-bow or a compound bow, a vast majority would choose a x-bow.  and i bet if you were to ask them why they chose a x-bow, there answer would be because they think its easier, shoots like a gun which 99% of people can figure out. regardless whether its easier or not.  plain and simple.  

And I bet if you ask bowhunters why they shoot a compound instead of a recurve, just about everyone would give an answer that basically says because it is easier

• Like 3

I think thats the case with most things today.  

The crossbow proposal had broad-based public support, not just support from the hunting community. If Robert Sweeney, the chairmen of the assembly en-con committee, agreed with the last bill, it would have passed vote at that time, even with all those downstate assembly members that usually vote against hunting bills. The broad-based public support was achieved by the lobbying effort of the Nature Conservancy and the Audubon Society, organizations which down state assembly members find credible and because they are making ecologically-based arguments , based on their own research and consistent with the DECs management plan, not special interest hunting arguments.

I cant emphasize this enough because if this does not become a learned lesson I doubt there is any hope. "Broad-Based Public Support" is essential to passing hunting - related legislation. Regardless of what side of the crossbow controversy you are, this cascade of events should be a lesson learned.

Someone on here and others have argued that the crossbow industry was behind this. According to one of the sponsors of the last senate bill, I believe Dave Valesky or Mark Grisanti, the industry was not an influence. I see no testimony from the industry either. Even if they did lobby in NY, those assembly members densely clustered south of the Tappen Zee Bridge were not likely to be influenced by a hunting product industry.

If your spooking deer while drawing and still taking the shot, then that's unethical. Sometimes you just have to let them walk as a lot of us like to say... 

X-bows take that movement factor out of the equation, so I believe it'll make hunters more ethical. B)

I don't know where you gathered I was still shooting spooked deer. I've given my rundown of archery kills enough for you to know I've never lost one. And that means I've had years with no buck tags filled.

Edited by Belo

IT IS EASIER! It may not be as easy as they think, but there's no debate that it's not easier.

• Like 2

The broad-based public support was achieved by the lobbying effort of the Nature Conservancy and the Audubon Society, organizations which down state assembly members find credible and because they are making ecologically-based arguments , based on their own research and consistent with the DECs management plan, not special interest hunting arguments.

Mike, excuse me for admittedly not being all caught up in the politico terminology of what you just said here.

Are you saying that hunter input was really not an issue taken into consideration without a respected organizations backing? That's what I'm reading, and looking for an honest answer to.

I don't know where you gathered I was still shooting spooked deer. I've given my rundown of archery kills enough for you to know I've never lost one. And that means I've had years with no buck tags filled.

I never said Belo did this.

IIRC the "industry" bought all the outdoor writers that they could in an effort to promote their products.  Lavish hunting trips to Ohio for starters........ :O

• Like 1

Of course crossbows are easier . You don't see any of the humans on "The Walking Dead" shooting compound bows , do you ?!

They are killing those Zombies with Crossbows !

Guess you missed the last few episodes!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I love these threads!! They're hard to stay out of.lol  I have said it before, but  the only truly good thing for our sport would be a separate xbow season........., Period.

I am all for allowing those with injuries to use xbows during the archery season.

Those of us who live to see what hunting is like 20-30+ years from now will remember the days of compounds with nostalgia(much like traditional gear now)

To me it is similar to what happened in the northern zone with mzl season. Before very few carried a mzl into the woods to get a jump on deer season.(inaccuracy ,unreliability,unfamiliarity) Rules changed to allow scoped mzl and the popularitiy of inlines, exploded .Everybody that hunted had a muzzleloader and was in the woods a week earlier than normal.Now if you wait for the opening week of rifle , you missed the boat the deer no the gig is up season has been on for a week.

The increase in mzl hunters was NOT an increase in hunters like we would like to see but the same hunters with a different weapon getting out early. How many un-scoped traditional mzls do you see in the woods now?

I realize none of this matters in our word of, us against them, all or nothing , winner take all, I'm 100% right and you are wrong. Instead of a compromise, It looks to be just a matter of time before xbows will take over the archery season. Old timers will hold on to the tradition for awhile but it's just a matter of time. No real winners in the long run.

ps..I am 100% right....lol