Finally doing it.....moving to Rochester area

Well, after a year here in Ogdensburg on the St Lawrence river, I'm moving on. When the daughter started talking plans for grandchildren the decision was pretty much a no brainer. We decided on a house in Macedon and if all goes well will be in beginning June. Looking forward to scouting the area for the fall.

So long north country!

• Like 2

Thanks for the well wishes folks. The house we are buying is in town called Macedon. Not much land with it, 1.9 acres, but backs up to a nice sized woodlot and lots more all around, as well as forever farmland that can't be built on, across the road. If I get to hunt there Ill be pretty happy, if not I'll drive back to Sangerfield every year.

I have never shot a deer in Wayne County . I have hunted Ontario and Walworth with no luck .

I have killed my deer in Monroe , Livingston , Ontario and Yates Counties . Hunting close to home has never worked for me .

NW wayne county is funny. There are some record producing honey holes. Then there are some areas that are pounded into the ground and hunted relentlessly. There is also a fair amount of nuisance tags and hunters. But I'm not sure that statement isn't true for any hunting area. I do know that one of my spots fluctuates greatly based on corn being planted or not. The other area is a little spot that does very well because of the surrounding pressure.

NW wayne county is funny. There are some record producing honey holes. Then there are some areas that are pounded into the ground and hunted relentlessly. There is also a fair amount of nuisance tags and hunters. But I'm not sure that statement isn't true for any hunting area. I do know that one of my spots fluctuates greatly based on corn being planted or not. The other area is a little spot that does very well because of the surrounding pressure.

I will say that Wayne is feast or famine. On a whole, the county is the sleeper in the state.

But there are voids where the quality of deer hunting can be dismal. Seems a bit funny, actually. I'm sure other places are like that, but I've never seen that disparity county-wise before.

Overall it's what I would consider a high-pressure area, and the deer have responded accordingly. Walking a hundred yards off the road to hunt in most of Wayne Co is not going to get you very much. It sure happens, but it's not the rule.

Lots of undeveloped land including swamps, bogs, and hundred-acre brier patches that are intimidating to say the least, but that's where the deer are. If you're willing to work at it, it can be truly amazing, but it's definitely not grocery shopping!

I wish you the best on your move. Make some friends and Enjoy!

Thanks again people. The back line is about 480 feet back and extends maybe 30 yards os so into a wood lot. As long as the people don't mind if I need to recover a deer (and I will ask before even hanging a stand) I might just sit back there from time to time. There were deer tracks right up to the back porch of the house. If nothing else it will give me something to watch in the yard. haha

I will say that Wayne is feast or famine. On a whole, the county is the sleeper in the state.

But there are voids where the quality of deer hunting can be dismal. Seems a bit funny, actually. I'm sure other places are like that, but I've never seen that disparity county-wise before.

agreed. I think NW wayne is more Monroe county. The population has grown and the hunting land shrunk. The areas that are left have consolidated the deer. Those that are hunted hard do not produce as much and then there are those that are managed and hold big deer... and those where no hunting is allowed. So if you're on the border of a sanctuary and a hot doe bring that mature buck out then you're money. The rest of the county is pretty open and hunted pretty hard.

The areas I hunt are small enough that the neighbors really do affect our hunting. It's probably why I feel the way I do about some subjects. I know they're not my deer, and the neighbors can legally shoot those BBs... but I can't help but feel how I do.

Lots of undeveloped land including swamps, bogs, and hundred-acre brier patches that are intimidating to say the least, but that's where the deer are. If you're willing to work at it, it can be truly amazing, but it's definitely not grocery shopping!

our best stands are in the middle of the thickest, nastiest stuff you could imagine. They require trail trimming twice a year and usually are a half day job... dad always said you have to put in the time and if you do it will reward you.

Thanks again people. The back line is about 480 feet back and extends maybe 30 yards os so into a wood lot. As long as the people don't mind if I need to recover a deer (and I will ask before even hanging a stand) I might just sit back there from time to time. There were deer tracks right up to the back porch of the house. If nothing else it will give me something to watch in the yard. haha

my 5 acre spot held some of the biggest bucks I've seen on cam. Don't underestimate it. Plant some apple and pear trees if you don't have any.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1