LetEmGrow

Frostbite on Turkey Feet

Thought you guys might like to see this. I shot this bird this morning in 8N (Ontario County).  His feet are in pretty rough shape.  Looks like frostbite. 
Kind of gives you an idea of what it was like for some critters out in the woods this winter.  He is a 3 year old. 

post-511-0-29687300-1399376616_thumb.jpg

post-511-0-78678100-1399376617_thumb.jpg

Edited by LetEmGrow
  • Like 1

yuck indeed

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

I am pretty sure it is frostbite.

Here are a couple more close-up.  Look at his left foot.  It is split almost all the way to the tendon. 

post-511-0-29354900-1399393343_thumb.jpg

post-511-0-84700800-1399393353_thumb.jpg

You should post them on www.oldgobbler.com or maybe NWTF's website and get an expert to say for sure. Might just be an infection/injury?

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Wow, never seen anything like that before...amazing how they can survive out in the weather.

Congrats on the bird!

Edited by JALA RUT

Maybe an archery hunter tried to cut his toe nails and it got infected.

I just came up with that scenario after this mornings hunt. :resent:

Edited by wooly

View my nature photos @

http://www.pbase.com/wooly

Could it be that something crushed his feet? Could explain why only the longer middle toes are disfigured? Run over?

Maybe the bird was perched on something metal and when to hop off and caught the longer middle toes on it?

Only explanation i can think of. I cant really see that being frostbite because the feet are mostly skin, cartlige and bone down there. Not a whole lot of soft dermis to freeze and die.

Yeah, I doubt it's frostbite if it only effected one digit.

NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

I know this is a few weeks old but if you still have those feet lying around you might want to let F&G see them. Something they may have an answer for or something they may want to test.