Recommendations for a decent spotting scope

Not looking to break the bank, but want something I can clearly see small caliber holes at 100yds at the range.  Any suggestions based on experience are much appreciated.  Thinking $300 or less if possible.  Being compact would be a plus.  Thanks

havent shot 22's out to 100yrds with it yet.  Mostly 308, 30-06. I would hope you would be ok with it. depends on where you buy from, you may get free return shipping that optics planet often has or wait for their special sales

Moog, I see .22 holes @ 100 yds just fine the way I do it.

Get some white 8 1/2 x 11" paper and put an orange dot on it in the center, or use a colored marker. Make the dot about the size of a nickel. Staple 2 or 3 of them to your target board.

When you shoot, aim for the dot (which is easy to see) you will easily be able to see all of the black bullet holes in the paper with your rifle scope. No spotting scope is needed.

Try it, you'll like it.

Thanks for the ideas guys.  Tried a bushnell elite scope but hated the eye relief after using it a while.  I sent it back.  I am now planning to try vortex 10x binos (which will be used in the field) and a doubler at the range.  I think that will suffice, especially if I try Mr. VJP's method.

To follow up, I purchased a bushnell elite spotting scope 15-45.  It was nice, but after testing it for a while, the short eye relief drove me nuts.  I returned it.  My next move was to upgrade my binos and get a tripod mount.  That was probably a much better move for me.  I went with vortex viper hd 10x42.  The glass is great and I really don't need more for the range, especially with the mount.   I will use them during hunting season, so they will serve dual purpose. That said, for $150, I also picked up a doubler and while I haven't tested it with actual range work, I think the doubler would work even at 200 plus yards for target shooting based on some testing in the field behind my house.  Not as bright as without the doubler, but not really needed for target shooting as I don't shoot targets in low light.

I absolutely love the viper HDs. 

• Like 2