Catskills camping recommendation?

virgil

I'm looking to take my 4 year old camping this summer. I'm not finding what I'm looking for here on Long Island. Can anyone recommend a kid-friendly campground in the lower catskills where I can introduce him to some easy fishing. Thanks for any advice.

In my younger days I would take a bunch of tenderfoot dads and their sons camping on Father's day. Taconic State Park is great for first times. Some platform sites and cabins as well as ground sites and both Copake falls and Rudd pond areas have stocked lakes for fishing. Rudd pond rents rowboats.

Edited by EspressoBuzz

Yes, Gilbert Lake. I was just there Sunday with my 4 and 6 yr olds fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I  also vote for Gilbert Lake. We used to go every year and love it. Very nice lake and swimming area, can become crowded with kids from school programs though. Can also hike to a few more remote ponds to fish that get much less pressure.

Little Pond gets my vote.  When I was younger, I did a lot of fishing/camping in the Catskills and Little Ponds was nice.  I also stayed at Woodstock on the Lake, and Lake Koinoinia(sp?) near White Lake.  They were both nice campgrounds.

Mongaup Pond State park.  It is in the Roscoe/Liberty area.

Rent canoe, row boat, or kayak on site, or bring your own.  No motor-powered boats allowed except battery-powered trolling motor.

Can visit trout fish hatchery a few miles down the road.

The pond is spring-fed at multiple locations.

There is a hiking trail around the pond.

Can bike-ride but no scooters, skateboards, or skates allowed.

Have to get water from facets around each bathroom area, no on-site water or electric.

Picnic area has charcoal grills and the bath house.

There is a "dock" by the boat launch ramp too.

Don't recall seeing any playgrounds on site.

A friend or ours alternates camping between North-South lake and Mongaup Pond.

Cell-service is limited to the the pond - best signal in in middle of the pond.  Some pond-side sites may have limited cell-service.

If recall correctly, $20 per night at State Campgrounds.

If want super kid friendly, look at Jellystone in Woodridge, NY.  Small pond to fish in, peddle-boat rentals.  Playground, visits with Yogi, BooBoo, and Cindy bear.  Small store onsite.  Can rent site for tent, camper w/electric and water, small cabin, or deluxe cabin.

Clarence Fahnstock state park off the Taconic...semi-remote tent site, fishing lake with bass, pickerel, blue gills(peloton pond)....-across the street is Canopus Lake which is split in two- one side with a pretty clean swimming beach(lifeguards, snack shack, bathrooms with showers) other side has good shore fishing and John boat rentals. Tons of walking trails (some are part of Appalachian trail) and even some playgrounds for kids I think and a little nature museum....50 minutes or so from NYC

Clarence Fahnstock state park off the Taconic...semi-remote tent site, fishing lake with bass, pickerel, blue gills(peloton pond)....-across the street is Canopus Lake which is split in two- one side with a pretty clean swimming beach(lifeguards, snack shack, bathrooms with showers) other side has good shore fishing and John boat rentals. Tons of walking trails (some are part of Appalachian trail) and even some playgrounds for kids I think and a little nature museum....50 minutes or so from NYC

The DEC is there the provide a wilderness experience, their campsites are intentionally less developed. The Parks, Recreation and historical sites is by intent more developed and I believe more kid friendly for younger kids.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I know I am a bit late here, but Max V. Shauls is a great place. It's a bit past the true Catskills, but the Schoharie Creek runs right past it in walking distance. They have showers, and a couple playgrounds for little ones as well. Gilboa Run Off and Browns Lake have some great fishing as well.