Pistol permit holders with addresses......WTH?!

You can, and should, file the form with the State Police to request that your name be removed from that public list. A very common and straightforward process.

I don't have the title of the form or the form # handy, but I'll look around and get it posted ASAP.

• Like 1

http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/documents/FOIL2-15_final_exemption_foil_form.pdf

It's not default because it's a matter of public record, similar to real estate sales/transfers. The information is available to the public under the freedom of information act (FOI).

It is completely legal for someone to hold an anti-gun party in their neighborhood and distribute lists of all the pistol permit holders in their area. Pretty creepy when you think about the criminals or potential criminals who could conceivably walk into that party and be handed that info without having to work for it.

You have to have a valid reason for the exemption request, and I can't, and won't advise anyone on that. Think about what I said above and you'll probably find a valid reason on your own.

Edit: Take the completed form to 'your licensing office', usually the county clerk.

Edited by philoshop

The paper to fill out is with your county clerk not the state police. Its a opt-out form

You file it with the county clerk, but it's a state-generated form that ends up with the state police. They have jurisdiction over the info when someone requests it. It's a little more than an 'opt-out' thing. You're not asking to be kept off of someone's marketing telephone or mailing list.

It's a request to have some of your information exempted from the FOI act. Give a good reason for that request.

Burmjohn, I wouldn't put it quite that way, but yeah, that's about it.

So there is a database of opt our forms that can be foiled.  Either way they have you.  The form is filed in your county clerks office.  I would check with your local county clerk and see if they will give up the information if foiled.  Mine very much said no she would not release it.  

So there is a database of opt our forms that can be foiled.  Either way they have you.  The form is filed in your county clerks office.  I would check with your local county clerk and see if they will give up the information if foiled.  Mine very much said no she would not release it.  

Good point Bubba. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'm doing some carpentry work tomorrow for a retired state police captain. I'll ask him about it.

I filled out the Opt out form when this glorious Safe Act came about and yet I'm still listed

I remember seeing a NYS Pistol License holder list a little more than five years ago. This information has always been available to pretty much anyone, just for the asking. 

Antis have been publishing this information online for a while. It only received media attention when the newspaper (Westchester? Putnam?) published the names.

You can fill out the form to have your name excluded from future release requests. However, if you name was on a list released prior to that request, it is too late. Once the cat is out of the bag, it is done. They can't call your name back. With things being published online these days, information is pretty much out there forever.

I actually just picked up my license yesterday from the NYPD and was offered to fill out a form which would keep my name off of any public list. I was actually surprised that they offered me this form since they do everything in their power to discourage people from trying to obtain a license.

I remember way back when NY first proposed having handguns registered. Many people didn't like the idea, but more handgun owners were of the opinion it was a GOOD thing, and if you had nothing to hide, you had nothing to fear.

Remember that the next time someone tries to tell you that.

All the opt out form does is give them a newer updated list of who has handguns and where.  The biggest reason checked was so that there would be no problems with anti gun people knowing you had guns.  Well umm  you filled out a form telling them you did.  The form is registered in your local county clerks office.  All it takes is a FOI from the right attorney or government agency,and they have the list of who opted out.  As I stated before it then depends on how hard your local county clerk wants to fight releasing it.  Mine personally stated that she will not release the information.  A simple two minute phone call to your local clerk will confirm this and they can confirm if they would release it.  It must be really tough breathing with your head in the sand that deep.  I personally want them to know I have guns.  Helps to keep them away from my place. Again if you think that Andy was doing you a favor getting this form into the safe act, I feel bad for you falling for the simplest of plots.  Good luck to ya