Anyone use....

Grizz1219

I never have, but it certainly would be good practice for trigger control.

I have read many times that dry firing would not hurt quality centerfires, but it always made me nervous..I think it's a good idea to go with the snapcaps.

I remember, many years ago, a good looking young fellow about 12 years old did some dry firing with his Dad's antique Ithaca hammer double ( circa 1899)..  Eventually, one of the firing pins split lengthways.

Fortunately, Dad was a machinist and made another firing pin for it.

He didn't even kick my butt TOO hard....<<blush>>...

• Like 1

Just a FYI…You can release the trigger, on most bolt actions by opening the bolt, release the safety & then close and lock the bolt while holding the trigger back. Thats how I do it anyway.

Now you tell me.

Lawdwaz, on 19 Jun 2014 - 3:52 PM, said:

I just bought my first set; a six pack for my 5 shot .38 S&W revolver.

I have no fear in dry firing (for trigger and breathing practice) my centerfire rifles.

I don't either; but I use them to get practice in reloading/ working the bolt with the gun up for a fast follow up. I'm not bashful about putting another round into something and like to be ready.

Another useful practice is to have them loaded random in a pistol magazine along with live rounds to simulate a misfire and practice clearing the weapon at the range.