300 Win Mag for deer

eagle rider

No such thing as "to dead"... If you want to hunt with it shoot it... It will definitely kill a deer...

I deer hunted in Maine many years ago. One of the old timer guides use to say the same thing. LOL!!! He loved the 7mm Mag for deer.

Hey... it's not my caliber of choice.. the question was Can you hunt with that caliber.. yes.. shot placement is even more important but it will kill a deer with no problem... Just have to be ready for meat loss in using it.. My favorite deer rifle cal is 25-06...

Hey... it's not my caliber of choice.. the question was Can you hunt with that caliber.. yes.. shot placement is even more important but it will kill a deer with no problem... Just have to be ready for meat loss in using it.. My favorite deer rifle cal is 25-06...

I agree. My favorite deer round is the 7mm-08.

• Like 2

We all have our opinions regarding different chamberings and what terminal effects we desire.

I personally have never been a proponent of the "expend all the energy inside the animal" theory..

I feel that two holes are better than one, in case tracking is required.

If I were to use a .300 mag for deer, I would prefer to use a stoutly constructed 180 or 200 grain bullet that would fully penetrate the ribcage and would cause less meat damage.

That said, I am not a fan of .300 mags, although I have nothing against using them. I feel they are neither fish nor fowl.

If I need more punch than a .270, .280, or 30-06, I would move to something with a heavier bullet, like a .35 Whelen, a .338 Win mag, or my personal pet, a 9.3 x 62...

They don't kick much more than a .300 mag and with the heavier bullets they use, ( 225 to 300 grain) they pack a lot more punch.

What a bunch of wimmens. :girlwah: 

Ooooo, a 300 Win Mag......it may hurt my mangina if i pull the trigger. :fie: 

Take up needle point if you can't figure out shot selection and bullet construction choice.

Besides who cares about a cup full of meat when there is a set of antlers? :spiteful:

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 4

Take up needle point if you can't figure out shot selection and bullet construction choice.

Besides who cares about a cup full of meat when there is a set of antlers? :spiteful:

LOL.

I saw THAT coming from a mile away................................ B)

Funny thing is that a 12ga does a ton of damage too.  You guys that are all choked up about meat loss ever use one?

:O

• Like 1

Besides who cares about a cup full of meat when there is a set of antlers? :spiteful:

Just a discussion to pass the time in the offseason. Sometimes we talk like every shot we make is perfect. I can kill a buck with a field point, but it doesn't make it an ok selection.

When hunting I prefer a round that will help most compensate for an imperfect shot. Hence why a lot of us use hollow points too.

Belo, on 01 Jul 2014 - 9:10 PM, said:

Just a discussion to pass the time in the offseason. Sometimes we talk like every shot we make is perfect. I can kill a buck with a field point, but it doesn't make it an ok selection.

When hunting I prefer a round that will help most compensate for an imperfect shot. Hence why a lot of us use hollow points too.

And here I though my use of a few emoticons would add a little levity to my post.

Well, shave my a** and call me NANCY !...hehehehehe....

• Like 1

Being from NJ originally, I've killed dozens of deer with a 12 gauge using 1 oz slugs.

The damage to the meat is a lot less than a magnum high velocity rifle, mainly because the slug moves at a paltry 1200 fps at the muzzle and less than 1000 fps at 50 yards, where the average deer is taken with a 12 gauge.

Meat is damaged by hydrostatic shock, which is much greater when the velocity of the given projectile is vastly increased.

Myself i went up from 280 to 300. The 280 still made me chase a few after good shots but for me it was a down sizing of the gun case. I went with something i could use anywhere on anything the rest of my hunting days. She has no kick with muzzle work but will wake up the kids when you touch her off!

Lol a mag with muzzle brake or ports is loud as heck. Nice add-on though.

Re slugs. Grew up hunting in areas that were slug and now turned rifle. A lot of why slugs don't mangle meat has to do with construction. The new sabots are about as devastating as a rifle round. I'm talking about the Hornady SST slugs specifically.