What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

They are 00e4e910bfe252d21d1c8ef791ae1a99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The golf expo for turning stone is this weekend. I am sure the golf dome there is packed for sure.  I've tried it a few times when I used to golf a lot, kinda cool.  Didn't like the top deck though.  I bought a new Adams driver and snapped it at the hosel there on the first swing. The head went flying out into the turf.  Did get a free replacement though.  If your a golfer it's a good place to try out different clubs before buying a set. 

I filleted 2 pike yesterday.  A 5 pounder and an 8 pounder.  I'll put some in a chowder and fry the rest.  They are very fine eating if you get the bones out.  We did a blind taste test at fish camp one year, and nobody could tell the fried pike from the fried walleye.  I keep a couple every winter.  I think all fish are better when they come out of COLD water. 

Also, I wouldn't bother with a pike under 5 pounds.  Too much work for what you get, unless you have alot of practice getting the "Y" bones out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I filleted 2 pike yesterday.  A 5 pounder and an 8 pounder.  I'll put some in a chowder and fry the rest.  They are very fine eating if you get the bones out.  We did a blind taste test at fish camp one year, and nobody could tell the fried pike from the fried walleye.  I keep a couple every winter.  I think all fish are better when they come out of COLD water. 

Also, I wouldn't bother with a pike under 5 pounds.  Too much work for what you get, unless you have alot of practice getting the "Y" bones out.

I gave up on filleting pike. Skin them, wrap them in foil with the seasonings and put them on the grill. Pull the cooked meat away from the bones with a fork, and enjoy.

• Like 1

I gave up on filleting pike. Skin them, wrap them in foil with the seasonings and put them on the grill. Pull the cooked meat away from the bones with a fork, and enjoy.

That sounds like an idea!! I have just started to try to fillet a couple bigger ones last season and pain in the ass!!

Wouldn’t be better to grill skin on though?

b9593014ea00078be87fcd350148c610.jpg

Ok so I threw a chick in some salt, brown sugar, Cajun and water. I was planning a 24 hour soak and well shit got crazy and it sat 5 days! I torched it up on the grill tonight beer can style and it was the best I ever had! Sweet, juicy and succulent.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Fletch said:

That sounds like an idea!! I have just started to try to fillet a couple bigger ones last season and pain in the ass!!

Wouldn’t be better to grill skin on though?

The foil acts as a 'skin'. When the flesh is flaky enough to come off the bone I'll poke holes in the bottom of the foil to drain some of the juice and give the soggy bottom a chance to firm up. With the skin on it always tasted greasy and fishy to me. JMHO

• Like 1

16 hours ago, philoshop said:

Just takes a little practice.  I can clean one pike, or a dozen smaller fish.  I grill salmon or striped bass, but don't care for other fish grilled.  My girlfriend wants her fish fried, so that's how I do it.  

35 minutes ago, philoshop said:

The foil acts as a 'skin'. When the flesh is flaky enough to come off the bone I'll poke holes in the bottom of the foil to drain some of the juice and give the soggy bottom a chance to firm up. With the skin on it always tasted greasy and fishy to me. JMHO

Northern pike also make a great fish chowder.