First Time "Big Woods" Hunting

bowaholic

My buddy and I are going up into the Adirondacks this fall (early November) for a couple days/nights... Going to go up next month to walk the woods to get a feel for them and do some fishing.  Then two weeks before we stay over night in the woods were going to hang a couple cameras then check them when we get back in the woods two weeks later! I'm pumped, been satellite scouting, reviewing a topo map and planning our way in and out and hunting areas! Going to bring the new 30-30 for its first hunt as well, maybe a mixed bag of deer and beer....I mean bear!! haha.

Any tips on what to bring?  We'll be about 1.5-2 miles from the lake shore so don't want to over or under pack... I know the typical tent, tarp, GPS...what are some other things that I might not be thinking of? 

Good luck I hunt the ADKs every year for last 4 or 5 yr early season it's hard hunting but as a outdoorsman it's so peaceful and the closet thing around to a true bush hunt...all I can say as I have not had any luck there yet is don't be afraid to cove so ground looking for food sources or deer sign and don't get discouraged....hope to hear some success stories this fall....good luck

• Like 2

Look for food most of all,beechnuts would be great.Maybe leftover apple trees depending on how early a fall/winter we have.These would be in my pack for everyday hunts in the big woods.Also its a good idea to make a map of the area you will be in and give it to someone in case you dont get back on time they know where to send more beer!!!LOL

small first aid kit

fire making supplies

water straw(the purifying kind)

a day or so of food

compass( I don't care if you have a GPS its still a good idea,it is a electrical item and batteries fail)

handwarmers

map of area

signal mirror

small pack of potatoe chips(can be a fire starter also)

god ideas but not 100% needed

spare socks(in case your feet get wet)

some fishing line,hooks,lure or 2(you can always hand-line for fish in a pinch)

This is on top of the essentials like ammo,knife and sharpener,tags,phone,gps,gun.

I would add a few more items:

head lamp

an extra flashlight with spare batteries (it really sucks if you have a hardware failure with a flashlight at night)

pocket knife for camp use or backup to hunting knife.

fire starters

Bear bag

rope (for a drag, clothes line if clothes get soaked, hang bear bag, etc)

small butane or propane stove with fuel (just in case too wet to start a fire to cook over)

knit hat and gloves for warmth just in case weather is cooler than planned for

**extra wool socks - feet sweat, water gets in boots, or can be used as mittens in an emergency

prepare your outer clothes with Sawyers for tick control, and/or pack some Deet or other insect repellant.

If slinging you gun, check all swivels and sling.  If anything looks iffy, replace it.

If you will not be close by each other when hunting, maybe a pair of FRS radios if cell service is not available.

I would recommend doing a couple practice runs of set up and packing up gear and carrying it.

This way avoid any weight surprises.  See what is heavy and find a lighter replacement before you go. 

• Light poncho instead of a rain suit
  • Cast aluminum instead of cast iron pan or if cooking freeze-dried or other quick-cook foods, titanium pots/pan.
  • freeze dried instead fresh fruit (apples, bananas, etc)

• Like 1

Can't say I've ever pulled an over nighter in the ADK's, but I have spent  a good amount of time in the dark in unfarmiliar territory.

This may sound like a trivial suggestion, but I've found those inexpensive reflective tree tacks to be very valuable around my campsites especially if you'll be exiting the immediate sight for any reason.(bathroom breaks, firewood collection, water runs.., etc)

Chances are you wont be carrying your GPS when nature calls in the middle of the night, and all the flashlight power in the world wont help you find your way back to camp if you accidently get turned around in a thicket. Mark a few trees during daylight that fan out from your camp leading to these locations and you just might save yourself the frustration of sleeping in the fetal position while everything in the forest tries to suck the blood out of ya until the sun comes up!

• Like 4

That's a good one Wooly...I have those in my hunting backpack but never would have thought about using them for that, definitely a good idea thanks!

Can't say I've ever pulled an over nighter in the ADK's, but I have spent  a good amount of time in the dark in unfarmiliar territory.

This may sound like a trivial suggestion, but I've found those inexpensive reflective tree tacks to be very valuable around my campsites especially if you'll be exiting the immediate sight for any reason.(bathroom breaks, firewood collection, water runs.., etc)

Chances are you wont be carrying your GPS when nature calls in the middle of the night, and all the flashlight power in the world wont help you find your way back to camp if you accidently get turned around in a thicket. Mark a few trees during daylight that fan out from your camp leading to these locations and you just might save yourself the frustration of sleeping in the fetal position while everything in the forest tries to suck the blood out of ya until the sun comes up!

• Like 1

Thanks.  I'll make sure to pack all this stuff

I would add a few more items:

head lamp

an extra flashlight with spare batteries (it really sucks if you have a hardware failure with a flashlight at night)

pocket knife for camp use or backup to hunting knife.

fire starters

Bear bag

rope (for a drag, clothes line if clothes get soaked, hang bear bag, etc)

small butane or propane stove with fuel (just in case too wet to start a fire to cook over)

knit hat and gloves for warmth just in case weather is cooler than planned for

**extra wool socks - feet sweat, water gets in boots, or can be used as mittens in an emergency

prepare your outer clothes with Sawyers for tick control, and/or pack some Deet or other insect repellant.

If slinging you gun, check all swivels and sling.  If anything looks iffy, replace it.

If you will not be close by each other when hunting, maybe a pair of FRS radios if cell service is not available.

I would recommend doing a couple practice runs of set up and packing up gear and carrying it.

This way avoid any weight surprises.  See what is heavy and find a lighter replacement before you go. 

• Light poncho instead of a rain suit
  • Cast aluminum instead of cast iron pan or if cooking freeze-dried or other quick-cook foods, titanium pots/pan.
  • freeze dried instead fresh fruit (apples, bananas, etc)

I would set up camp near some water.  Comes in handy for washing , etc.   Keep in mind if you guys do get lucky, how far you'll be from transportation.  Sometimes being way back in isn't always the best.  Dragging a deer through Adirondack terrain is not easy.  Lots of rock, boulders, downed trees, nothings level.  For your first time doing this I would go easy on how far you go in.   And as others have said, definitely a compass and topographical map and know how to use it.   Weather is another factor.  Be prepared for anything.  Snow, rain, cold, warm.  It's a lot of fun, but if your not prepared, it could turn into one of those "I'll never do that again".   

• Like 1

Recommend you review: http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/23280-what-is-is-your-pack/

That covers most of the hunting and safety related stuff you will need.

As for setting up a camp, if its a semi permanent camp for more than 3 nights or for the deer season you will have to get a form from the local ranger and fill it out and return it him. He will approve it and return it to you and you post it on your campsite when you erect your camp. If you plan on back packing for just a few days you don't need to bother with it. Remember to go as light as possible. You want to have time and energy left to hunt.

The deer are spread out quite a bit in the Adirondacks but seem to come out of the woodwork during the rut. There are some real dandy bucks up there. Good luck.

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 1

Don't know what area you're going to but where we are no one can ever get a reliable GPS signal.  Bring 2 compasses, MINIMUM.  I prefer 3 because there've been times that I thought my compass was lying to me and I've compared the three to make sure they were accurate.  I have found one to be off from the other two but if I'd only had two I wouldn't know which was right.  I try to have two of each of the important things.  Compass, fire starter, knife.

• Like 1

Very good advice covert,

I have had compasses get remagnetized for some reason and point 180 degrees in the wrong direction.  Its happened to me twice and the first time it was the only compass I was carrying.  Got back to where I was parked a rather late that day.  I always carry three compasses now.

The principle of redundancy is a good one to follow on critical items. 

Watch where you keep a compass.  I went to take a reading to plan my return path in unfamiliar territory to align my map. The map did not match the trail's direction of travel I reached while bush-whacking.  It felt like the wrong direction to go, but the trail does double back on itself due to terrain and then links up to another trail.

Luckily I ran into two local hikers that guided me out and knew an old fire road that was not on the map that saved 30 minutes of additional hiking to reach the parking lot.  I had to go pick up one of the kids which added to my anxiety of being lost.  I was very glad to run into those hikers.

Got home and checked my compass.  My compass was pointing the wrong direction.  Examined the pocket of my vest and found how the compass got reversed.  The lower pocket had a magnetic insert in the flap and had been open. This caused it to rub against the outside of upper pocket the compass was in and reversed the polarity.

Before leaving I recommend leaving a map marked with intended destination with someone as the emergency contact.  This way if you are late (or need emergency assistance), a search can be started using a known place you are suppose to be at.

Watch where you keep a compass.  I went to take a reading to plan my return path in unfamiliar territory to align my map. The map did not match the trail's direction of travel I reached while bush-whacking.  It felt like the wrong direction to go, but the trail does double back on itself due to terrain and then links up to another trail.

Luckily I ran into two local hikers that guided me out and knew an old fire road that was not on the map that saved 30 minutes of additional hiking to reach the parking lot.  I had to go pick up one of the kids which added to my anxiety of being lost.  I was very glad to run into those hikers.

Got home and checked my compass.  My compass was pointing the wrong direction.  Examined the pocket of my vest and found how the compass got reversed.  The lower pocket had a magnetic insert in the flap and had been open. This caused it to rub against the outside of upper pocket the compass was in and reversed the polarity.

Before leaving I recommend leaving a map marked with intended destination with someone as the emergency contact.  This way if you are late (or need emergency assistance), a search can be started using a known place you are suppose to be at.

Great info!  My buddy got turned around on LONG ISLAND!  He had magnets in the gloves to hold open the mitten and expose the fingers.  So he buys me a pair for Christmas!???  Thanks buddy??? 

• Like 1

Good point Two Track.  The first compass I had get remagnetized  was my own fault as I was using my hunting compass to check polarity on some powerful rare earth (Samarium Cobalt) magnetic circuits as part of an engineering job.  Your compass will either be correct or 180 degrees in error,   I subjected the compass to a reverse polarity field before it could move and the needle got remagnetized.  I have no idea what happened to the second compass I had a problem with.  The key is to keep your hunting compasses away from any magnetic fields.  Always have multiple compasses and use the sun, GPS when available to check the accuracy of your compasses.  Before the season and before heading out into the back country check your compass at home with known lines of bearing. 

I know you mentioned a GPS, but you should never go into the ADK's without a compass... take a reading before going in and make sure you know the reading to come out... never know when the GPS could get broken, have trouble getting a signal... whatever... having a compass is a must.

the adirondacks is tough. I'm not familiar with your area, but i have a cabin near Racquet lake. Lots of hunters and not a lot of deer. We all know the monsters are there and they're a very rewarding challenge.

Are you trophy or meat hunting? I think you'd be better off meat hunting in webster park :)

You might want to consider doing some stalking. Not a lot of brush and ground cover because it's forever wild so it's not logged. Easier to move around on. Therefore in my opinion the lack of undergrowth has hurt the animal populations... that and the huge snowfalls.

Edited by Belo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you go with the intent of hunting the way you do in the SouthernTier, there's a good chance you will be dissappointed..  I've been hunting a primitive wilderness area of the 'Dacks in Franklin Co. for nearly 40 years.  First two years I never saw a deer.  Hunted like I do at home:  Sat for hours at a time near scrapes and rubs.

Learned some  big lessons  those first few years.  It could be well over a week before a big buck { 130 + class } returns to a scrape.  Also, they are near impossible to pattern, especially in the mountains { 2,500-3,000 ft.+ elevation}. 

My success began once I started going to find them aka still hunting.  Starting from my camp, I pick a spot on my map that I intend to hunt for that day, usuall 1/2-1mile away.  I don't waste much time hunting my way to that spot, more like a hike with my rifle.   Once I get to the area I'm hunting for that day, I begin moving slowly, generally no faster that 200yds an hour. Every time you come to a spot that looks like a good watch, do just that.  Give it time to produce, maybe up to 1/2 hour then move on.  Even if just a few minutes later you come to another good watch, take it I try, rather than hunting with the wind dead in my face, to 1/8th.  Bottom line, I don't care how good a hunter someone thinks thet may be, it's about being in the right place at the right time.  It's not rocket science.

Always be looking around behind you as well.  Hunt the high ridges that have clusters of short pines and saddles with beech flats.  Try to be above the deer when possible.  Use the terrain to your advantage.

Lastly, don't attempt a wilderness hunt until you are able to orient your map to your compass.  While in the Southerntier, you may get turned around from time to time, but your almost never more than a mile from a road.  Usually the worst that will happen is you'll come out on the wrong road.  Up in the Primitive Wilderness areas, you can get truly lost, never to be seen again.  Do yourself and loved ones a favor and become familiar with compass/map orientering.

Enjoy it.  There really is no other thing like hunting big buck in Adirondack Primitive Wilderness areas.

• Like 3