suggestions for new xbow

InkedLilPiggy

I have a Horton, which is a budget crossbow, unfortunately they stopped making & servicing them. No problems with it, shoots great, rugged, dependable.

My first crossbow was a Barnett, a true lemon. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Wicked Ridge is Ten Point's economy line. I will probably get one of those when my Horton dies.

I have a Horton, which is a budget crossbow, unfortunately they stopped making & servicing them. No problems with it, shoots great, rugged, dependable.

My first crossbow was a Barnett, a true lemon. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Wicked Ridge is Ten Point's economy line. I will probably get one of those when my Horton dies.

I think Horton may have been taken over by Tenpoint/Wicked Ridge..........check out Cabelas, they have an offer up that if you buy one of the two, you trade your Horton in  and they give you a voucher worth a couple hundred bucks.

I think Horton may have been taken over by Tenpoint/Wicked Ridge..........check out Cabelas, they have an offer up that if you buy one of the two, you trade your Horton in  and they give you a voucher worth a couple hundred bucks.

Yes, it's true, Tenpoint/Wicked Ridge bought out Horton, but are NOT honoring any Horton warranties, nor selling replacement parts.

After the nightmare I went through with Barnett, I'm a little hesitant to dump my current Horton, considering it's in great shape, and super reliable. But thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware they were offering vouchers for trading up. Christmas is around the corner, maybe I'll put a bug in Mrs. Uncle Nicky's ear. :D

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20439016&lmdn=Brand&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414430.4414488

I was at Dick's yesterday and they have this Tenpoint which looks nice and for a decent price...........anyone have experience with Tenpoint crossbows?

Thats a great crossbow, from everything I have ever read about it. Id pony up the extra $100 and get the one with the accudraw though.

Horton was in big trouble, and TenPoint bought them and shut the line down. They currently will buy your Horton crossbow from you if you purchase a Wicked Ridge or TenPoint crossbow to replace it with. Kind of a trade in program to help out because the parts and service for the Hortons is gone. If you want to do it, you better hurry, they are offering it only until the end of this year

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/pages/horton-trade-in-program/

Thats a great crossbow, from everything I have ever read about it. Id pony up the extra $100 and get the one with the accudraw though.

I looked at some models with that and didn't like the way it sat against my face....maybe there's left and right hand models?..........nevermind, just watched the video and its on both sides of the stock.

Edited by jjb4900

• 2 weeks later...

Is the recruit compound crossbow legal in NY? I looked at one in Dicks but the guy said the limbs were not legal, supposed to be seventeen inches and he said it was sixteen. So I didn't buy it . Anyone know for sure? The recurve recruit is legal but a lot slower.

Is the recruit compound crossbow legal in NY? I looked at one in Dicks but the guy said the limbs were not legal, supposed to be seventeen inches and he said it was sixteen. So I didn't buy it . Anyone know for sure? The recurve recruit is legal but a lot slower.

Has to be 17" to be legal in NYS

Website says the Recruit is 18"

the guy at Dicks was wrong. its 18" uncocked. 16" may be the cocked width, which doesnt count.

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/products/crossbows/crossbows-core/recruit-2013

Thanks for the replies. It is sixteen axle to axle but almost seventeen end to end which is where it counts. After sighting in the string stretches and it is seventeen inches. I bought one and will be out Nov 1. Shoulder problem forced me to sell my Mission but at least I can still get out with the crossbow.

• Like 1