Fishers in southern tier

stoneam2006

fishers are bad news, kill a lot of small game. they kill turkeys off the roost at night. all they are is a weasel on steroids. there is a lot more around than people think

Yeah, small game is getting hammered in NY. I have to agree. I like seeing different kinds of wildlife, but between the birds of prey, yotes, fishers, habitat destruction/change, small game seems to be at a severe disadvantage. I guess it is a cycle, and eventually there will be such a small population of our small game, all these predators populations will reduce.  

I have seen then in Alaska and Ontario, but I have yet to see one here in Steuben County. They are here though ,and I have seen several trail cam pictures of fishers taken locally.

I also have friends who trap and have caught ( and released) fishers.

WV and PA reintroduced fishers to help control a growing population of porcupines. A study of fisher diet in Albany County found they eat mostly grey squirrels there. Since fishers have become more common in Otsego County, porkie numbers seem way down. Fewer in the woods, and fewer dead in the road.

If they are such "bad news", my squirrels, rabbits and turkeys weren't told.

Here's a link to an article on fishers in PA - http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=631109&mode=2

They are here. I get them on my game cameras every year. Here's a photo. I wish had had one of these trained "killing machines" in my yard right now. The grafted hickory nuts are almost mature. I had to remove 7 red squirrels in the past week to protect my nuts. Where is a killing machine when you need one.

A suggestion: put your game camera on your butchering scraps after deer are processed. post-5300-0-61218900-1411472340_thumb.jp

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 1